Menu

Similar to FIAR?

momma_pajama

Straight to the point... is there other curriculum that is similar to Five in a Row?  Most of my kids are older now but I have my last little surprise babe about to start school.  I swore to myself when I found out we were having him that we would do some FUN literature based learning in the early years... well, that time is here now and honestly I'm so busy and FIAR just looks like I have too much to put together on my end to actually get it done.  

So, what would be similar in the sense that it is literature based but provides activities and not just discussion questions? I know what to use to teach phonics and math, but I'm looking for that little bit of magic, interest, and fun.   I have not researched lower elementary curriculum in so long I have no idea what is out there.

Thanks so much!!

I’m right there with you that FIAR is so much fun!  But time is at a minimal with having many older ones. So lik PP mentioned we have used IVY KIDS!  They have been a lifesaver for the fun and I add in library books as I want to gain more on the subject. 

Also, look into Beautiful Feet. The around the world appears to be similar to FIAR and we will be using that next year!  Lots of books with lessons based on them. 

I also have a new little guy that I am starting over with.   There has been a lot of new curriculum to come out for this age since I did this the last time.   And I would assert that Memoria Press Enrichment is actually the "new best FIAR!"....and it isn't even FIAR.  🙂     (But again, there are probably lots of different opinions.  And everyone has their own tastes.   I'm just saying that if you like FIAR, you will probably really like MP enrichment.)   

MP Enrichment is VERY similar to Five in a Row.... except that it is easier to teach and there are a lot of nice resources/tools available to teach it IMHO.   (Art posters, flashcards, poetry schedule, science books, nature study, history/culture, etc.)   It is like FIAR because it is suggested that you read aloud a picture book every day for 5 days and use it as a springboard for other learning.  And it is like FIAR because it is very easily modified.   You can supplement with ideas you find online, or keep it simple, etc.    This page has a video which walks you through a typical week:  https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/art-and-music/kindergarten-enrichment/   I like it better than FIAR because there are so many reasonably priced yet high-quality resources and tools that go along with it and it gives the mom a little bit of structure to use for planning and making it "your own".  There are music playlists, art cards/posters, science book lists, suggested memory work, craft books/projects, suggest nature study projects and field trips, etc. etc.   It is very age appropriate and gentle.   (TIP-   I received a very helpful tip on the MP forum that has helped this school year:   Put together your own little kits for the craft projects that go along with each book before school starts, and store them in zip lock bags in a tote box or store in hanging file folder.   This way you can just pull them out and GO on craft day.  This helped me to actually DO the crafts with my youngest despite having other kids who need my time and attention.  Plus, it was much cheaper putting together my own "craft bags" as opposed to ordering them online.)

There are some history/culture/geography activities included in the MP enrichment, but I plan to replace many of those with Around the World in Picture books (BF Press).    That is only because I think it is fun to study world cultures at this age.  (Making recipes, learning about animals,  etc.)   

Another VERY easy tie in to the MP enrichment is Mystery Science.   In the winter, I have a hard time getting out to do nature study.   So we can easily pull up one of the science mysteries that tie in with our MP enrichment theme for the week.    We usually do this at the library with friends and make it a playdate.  They require next to no preparation. 

Edited by TheAttachedMama
  • Like 1