Menu

Great Courses Plus subscription - $10/month for life

I keep seeing Great Courses Plus lifetime $10/month deal right now. Can't make up my mind if this is worth it.

Edited to add: I have decided that this is worthwhile based on what Farrar said. My son has always enjoyed the courses we borrow from the library. Currently he is obsessed with the Mental Math course. It will be great for our purposes to build home grown studies around or to supplement what we are already doing.

I am sharing the link if anyone else wants to take advantage of this pricing. There's a 14 day free trial.

Edited by calbear

Depends on how you'll use it. If you want to do one or maybe two courses that are specific and you may use them with multiple students, then no, probably not. If you want to be able to dip in and out of things or your kids are the sorts who would enjoy lots of courses just to watch, then worth it. Or if it has more than one course that you'd like to use specifically for that year and not return to.

Check your library too though... if the courses are on DVD/CD in your library that you want or if they have streaming access for patrons, then it also might not be worth it.

You can see some GC with a subscription through amazon. Have you checked there to compare pricing? I thought it was only like $10-15 a month and it wasn't a heavy commitment. Is $10 a month for life meaning you have to keep paying till you die??? I must be missing something, lol.

Realistically, how long will your kid want these? If he's that bright, maybe till he's 13, 14... He'll probably move on to other things and maybe the GC will be more supplemental at that point. 

I doubt he would exhaust the courses since his interests are wide ranging. They do add courses monthly. I'm thinking this is a far cheaper way for him to dip his toes in subjects that he normally would not go out of his way to try.

If anyone is interested, this is the current list of available courses.
https://www.thegreatcoursesplus.com/allcourses

• Like 1

I’ll add too... they aren’t for kids, so a student wouldn’t exhaust their interest level at such a young age. We’re using one as an elective course for high school. Lots of people have them as a major component of high school courses.

We have had a subscription since last year and love it. I've watched through a few on my own: History of Eastern Europe, one on Einstein, a couple other physics courses. My middle school student has done some martial arts, US history, Eastern civilizations, art, and she has about 10 more picked out that she plans to start soon. My 8 year old even went through the chess course, and he's really good now! He beat me the last time we played LOL! He's too young for most of the material though.

I don't think you will be disappointed. We've had the $10 rate for awhile now and have been very happy. Among our local AL kids, both S and C listen to the GCs like candy, so I think you will really get a lot out of a subscription.

On 4/7/2019 at 11:01 AM, Farrar said:

I’ll add too... they aren’t for kids, so a student wouldn’t exhaust their interest level at such a young age. We’re using one as an elective course for high school. Lots of people have them as a major component of high school courses.

I'm going to show this to my husband. He has purchased Great Courses for viewing/listening to just because and requested them for birthday gifts.