Menu

Teaching long Division...thread link?

I feel like there are threads that I’ve read in the past where people have discussed methods and curriculum for teaching long division to struggling students, specifically when it’s the procedure/steps that are messing them up. My search isn’t coming up with anything. Can anyone link me to one/some? Because I need them!!! TY!

Thank you for the video links. I’m going to watch them all this weekend and see if teaching it different ways will help him. Usually, I’d be ready to bail on the curriculum, but I really think I just need to hit it from a different angle. I’ll re-think the curriculum switch once we finish Delta. He already doesn’t like watching the videos and thinks it’s confusing. And just when I thought I’d found a method that works for him...

what *does* work with math u see is the repeated practice on one thing and the abundance of white space. I swear I’m about to just make up my own math sheets for this kid! 

• Like 1

I struggled with Demme’s white board management, shortcuts, and lack of appropriate math language.  Your DS should not watch the videos if he finds them confusing.  BTW, I have rewritten math problems for my kids in a coil bound notebook to provide more space countless times.  We have also used a whiteboard.

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 1

I used Montessori to blend with MUS and create a more enhanced math curriculum for kids who have struggled.  I make my own materials using MUS colors/sizes, but Montessori presentations.  Some of it is as simple as creating colored graph paper to do multiplication and division - it kept the numbers straight and visually enhanced what unit was being divided and how to shift them over.  We started with a colored mat (old pillowcase I painted) to show the shift over and over again before moving to the graph paper.

• Like 1

When my DD struggled with long division, we moved on to whatever was next in the curriculum, but I continued to give her one long division problem a day.  I talked her through the steps  every day until she got it.  It was probably weeks before she could remember the steps on her own, but she did eventually get it.  

• Like 1

Maybe try a kinesthetic approach.  I like the way Landmark School teaches math to those with severe dyscalculia.

See:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9igdQnPnAo&list=PLpZYuoduwBZ_6a8pDiqAb_oBj4PFCQXbs&index=15&t=0s

Here is a link to their website and their Woodin Math book (although I have never purchased it, so  I can't give feedback.)

https://www.landmarkschool.org/elementary-middle/academics/woodin-math

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...