Menu

What's with the ads?

cintinative

xp: the Potters School or CLRC or ??? need shoring up on writing

Cross posted on the high school board . . .

I read on one of these threads --it may have been @RootAnn?? --said that CLRC's lit and comp is not much writing instruction?? I need my kids to have good feedback on their writing. We have lost ground this year and I want to regain it.  But I also want good lit instruction.  It looks like my 8th grader could *possibly* do English 1 with The Potter's School pending him doing okay on the assessment. I'm not sure what I would do with my rising 7th for lit and comp there so that is a possible negative.  I am not seeing anything about an assessment for the intro class at CLRC.  

Is anyone able to compare these two? I have friends that have used the Potter's School for English and really liked it.  I saw that they do have integrated humanities for 9-12th and I like that since we are not staying with WHA and that is why I was attracted to them. However, CLRC also has great books classes *if* we decide to revisit that route.

Thanks in advance!

Check out debrabell.com. My son will be taking the Middle School essay writing (a 7 week course) starting in May. They also have year long courses. 

42 minutes ago, ballzy said:

Check out debrabell.com. My son will be taking the Middle School essay writing (a 7 week course) starting in May. They also have year long courses. 

Can you help me find that essay class? ETA; found it.  https://debrabell.com/product/middle-school-essay-writing/

I don't know much about writers in residence. Can you tell me some of the distinctives of this program?

Edited by cintinative

I don't know anything about Writers in Residence. I was just looking at their online courses. They have several AP courses in high school, and their middle school courses lead students to take the AP courses. The only teacher there that I have heard about is Lili Serbicki, and I've read that she is a terrific teacher. I've emailed her with questions, and she replies very promptly. 

Another lit/writing course for middle school is Integritas Academy's Intro to Persuasive Writing Through Literature. It's expensive, but I have read only good things about Cindy Lange (the teacher for this course). She is also easy to contact. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ballzy said:

Another lit/writing course for middle school is Integritas Academy's Intro to Persuasive Writing Through Literature. It's expensive, but I have read only good things about Cindy Lange (the teacher for this course). She is also easy to contact. 

I have heard such great things about her but it is way beyond our financial ability.

Does anyone have another suggestion for 7th grade lit/comp? This rec would be for my youngest. I am not sure about having them both in the same class. Unfortunately TPS and CLRC don't appear to have options where I could split them. I might start another thread.

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

I have heard such great things about her but it is way beyond our financial ability.

If you pay it all before August 31st, you get $250 off, so then it would be $1000 for the year. That's still expensive, but it might help. 

• Like 1

cintinative, I'd suggest contacting CLRC and seeing if you can talk to someone over the telephone.  We are not taking composition with them, just Latin (and, next year, Greek) but I find them incredibly helpful and not at all pushy: you could get a good sense of whether or not they will offer what you need. 

Are you looking at their Intro. to Literature and Composition?  That seems to have 3 sections, which means you ought to be able to place your children in separate classes.  The writing output for the semester seems to be 3 essays and one letter, which may not seem like a lot and may be why you have a sense that there isn't much writing instruction.  OTOH, if our Latin experience is representative, the children get good feedback on the work they do. 

Anyhow: this probably hasn't been all that helpful, but I am so so so happy that we found CLRC this year & just wanted to suggest reaching out to them if you have concerns/questions.  🙂 

• Like 2

On 4/13/2019 at 2:51 PM, serendipitous journey said:

cintinative, I'd suggest contacting CLRC and seeing if you can talk to someone over the telephone.  We are not taking composition with them, just Latin (and, next year, Greek) but I find them incredibly helpful and not at all pushy: you could get a good sense of whether or not they will offer what you need. 

Are you looking at their Intro. to Literature and Composition?  That seems to have 3 sections, which means you ought to be able to place your children in separate classes.  The writing output for the semester seems to be 3 essays and one letter, which may not seem like a lot and may be why you have a sense that there isn't much writing instruction.  OTOH, if our Latin experience is representative, the children get good feedback on the work they do. 

Anyhow: this probably hasn't been all that helpful, but I am so so so happy that we found CLRC this year & just wanted to suggest reaching out to them if you have concerns/questions.  🙂 

I think I answered a similar thread on the high school board. Intro to Lit has plenty of writing. In addition to essays she assigns weekly summary of the reading and critical thinking question (about two paragraphs of analytical write-up about the reading). 

The courses that I think lack in writing are Intermediate Lit and British Lit, which may or may not be a bad thing if you want to do writing in other subjects. 

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 3