Menu

Breakfast ideas?

PeachyDoodle

I need healthy, high-protein breakfast ideas for a kid that refuses eggs in every form. He loves peanut butter, but eats a lot of it already, so I try to limit it somewhat at breakfast.

Bonus points if he (8yo) can make it himself, or with minimal help from his sister. I'm okay with prepping a batch of something in advance, as long as he can heat it up on his own in the mornings.

Hit me!

Greek yogurt with fruit and granola

overnight oats made with milk and Greek yogurt 

I know you said no peanut butter but plain oatmeal with a tablespoon of peanut butter mixed in after cooking and sliced bananas is good and filling 

Edited by hshibley
Removed an egg suggestion

Ds will not eat eggs either.  "Unless they are in cake or something" - his words LOL   He will eat oatmeal but doesn't really like it.  If we have it to often he will just skip breakfast.

I have tried to hide them in things like breakfast burritos but he will taste them or see them and stop eating.   If I fix breakfast burritos his have meat an cheese and cooked diced potatoes.

He eats a lot of supper foods for breakfast.  Pizza is his favorite.  I have been known to cook a pizza after supper and then he can eat on it the next few days for breakfast.  

Anything on a bun is good, chicken, cheeseburger, pork chop, steak & of course sausage or bacon.  Chicken  nuggets are good.  Sometimes I cook up extra meats at supper for the next day or one afternoon I will cook some meats for breakfast.

He also likes things like hashbrown casserole.  I make it the night before and sometimes with some form of meat mixed in.  

I know not healthy but I try to balance it out more later in the day if he eats this for breakfast.  

• Like 1

Cook some quinoa in advance. (if you're not familiar with it, it's a high-protein plant that's a bit like oats.) Half-fill one-cup containers, or 1/3 fill wide-mouth pint jars, with cooked quinoa. To each, add a sprinkle of pecans (or whatever you like), a dash of cinnamon, a teaspoon of maple syrup and/or raisins, as he likes. Add enough almond milk to cover and stir.

Cover and refrigerate. In the morning, he should remove the lid and microwave the jar/bowl for about a minute, depending on how warm he wants it and how full it wound up being.

• Like 1

Good suggestions, thanks!

He will eat eggs cooked in things where the egg is no longer discernible. Like somebody else said, in cake lol. Another issue is that he doesn't really like dishes where too many ingredients are mixed up. He won't eat any kind of casserole, meals with meat/veg served over rice unless they are on his plate separately, etc. I'm not sure if he'd do a breakfast burrito (sans egg) but he might. It's worth a try. He does eat sandwiches that are just meat on bread, or pb&j.

Deviled eggs made me laugh. I LOVE them -- I'd totally eat them for breakfast -- but once when I was making them, he said, "Wow, Mommy! Those deviled eggs look delicious for someone else!" 😂

I don't know when he got so picky. He used to eat practically anything. We are working on expanding his choices, but breakfast isn't the time of day I want to fight that battle, IYKWIM. He usually eats cereal at breakfast these days, but he has trouble concentrating on schoolwork to begin with, and more protein seems to help.

Edited by PeachyDoodle

I make steel cut oatmeal overnight in a small slow cooker. I spray the insert, add 4 cups of water, 2 cups of steel cut oats, a sprinkle of salt. I also add a capful if vanilla and sprinkle cinnamon on top. Turn in on low, and let it go.

I take some to work with frozen fruit and some milk and brown sugar, maybe a cut up banana, and turn the slow cooker to warm. When the kids get up, they help themselves.

When I make non-plain oatmeal, at night I add raisins or craisins, some pecans or walnuts.... nothing too crazy.

Edited by arctic_bunny

Cottage cheese or greek yogurt with fruit - cottage cheese has more protein per ounce, iirc

Hummus with vegetables - yes, you might not eat that for breakfast, but you have to expand your horizons sometimes.

Tortilla chips with refried beans, which is what I ate for my breakfast today, but I added a side of salsa

Smoothie made with yogurt or tofu

Steel-cut oats or some other cooked grain (kasha, barley, rice pudding) cooked with milk and fruit, with chopped nuts and wheat germ sprinkled on top - you can mix your grain on a 1:3 ratio with quinoa (rinse the quinoa!) as you cook it for more protein

Lentils and rice with an onion "salsa" on top.

Yogurt with cucumber and mint and/or dill and/or parsley and/or onion

Toast with cheese melted on top - now, people always recommend cheddar and that's good, but if you cover your toast (or, better yet, english muffin) with cream cheese and shove it under the broiler until it's brown on top that's even better

Pancakes cooked with cottage cheese instead of the milk

Chicken or tuna salad on toast

Bagel with lox - small bagel, lots of lox

Chia seed pudding, with the seeds soaked in milk or soymilk

Scrambled tofu OR scrambled chickpea flour

Breakfast sausage or meatballs with toast and fruit

Jamaican patties with a side of fruit or vegetable

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Get a bag of Jimmy Dean sausage or turkey sausage in the freezer breakfast food section. Microwave 2 or 3 to add to some other simple item--toast, hashbrown patty, yogurt--whatever he will eat. My picky eater teen likes Portuguese sausage which we discovered in Hawaii. We found one of our grocery stores carries it. She's old enough to slice up half a sausage and heat it up on the stovetop herself.

My ds likes the hash brown patties from Trader Joes, and I keep a large bag of pancakes in the freezer. If he needs protein to concentrate, have you tried some almond butter on him? My ds is funny and got into VEGETABLES for breakfast when we were on our cruise. Like totally blow me over with a feather! You would not think cucumber or celery in the morning would be so great, but there you go. You could eat the celery with almond butter. 

Ds is crazy for apples with chocolate almond butter (Trader Joes) right now.

How about smoothies?  I can whip up one so fast in our Bullet blender.  (I can't think right now if an 8-year old could do that or not...maybe with clear instructions he could??) You could add frozen berries, bananas, yogurt, whole milk or almond milk, raw oats, even peanut butter or almond butter...  Bananas really sweeten the smoothie so much that you might not need to sweeten it with anything else, but you could always add a little honey or even some chocolate syrup.  

We have protein shakes most mornings, usually made with whey protein.  There are a number of possibilities, including Pb/Pb and j/Pb and chocolate/fruity.

Kodak pancake mix is high protein and pancakes can be made ahead of time, but of course syrup is a trap.  Some yogurts are made with less sugar and are high in protein.  Cheese is ok, and some cereals are high in protein.