Menu

Warriner Grammar

need help with the Warriner Grammar Series. There are many editions when I search online, ( 1977, 1982, 1986) which edition you think is best, or are all of them pretty much the same? aslso where can I find the corresponding teacher's manuals.

Personally, I like the versions from the 60's and 70's best.  

Because that is what I was taught with, and therefore find it easier to teach to my students. 

No, I'm not *that* old, but my private school teachers were very old school about grammar and saw no need to buy new books, thank you very much.

I teach from the 60's and 70's versions because that same school was cleaning out the book closet, and was going to pitch the old falling apart grammar books and the really falling apart teacher's editions, and I spoke to one of the teachers and now I have the whole series with the TE's sitting in my bedroom closet.  The TE's for the older editions are $ on the used market and not so plentiful.  The TE's were just paperback books that really didn't hold up well.

If I didn't have those particular books sitting in my bedroom closet, I would probably scour Ebay and the like for any 70's books and matching TE's I could find.  When I tired of doing that, I would probably just buy the answer keys and syllabus for whatever edition it is (third course?)  that MODG sells and go with that.   Or just buy whatever is floating around over at Rainbow Resource (modern reprints from Holt, but the content is still pretty good).

Anyway, the series is incremental, and each year the exercises get a little longer, and the grammar concepts build and the sentences become more complex.  You don't have to do the whole series strictly in order, but I wouldn't throw a 7th grader into The Fourth Course or The Complete Course.  No need to jump into the deep end first.

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Elsa30x said:

How different are the reprints from Holt?

Well, in looking over at Rainbow Resource, if you go with the reprints from Holt things are going to get expensive quickly.  Here is the page for the 7th grade course; I don't think you need all those bits in order to teach the course, but you do need a student book and some sort of Teacher Edition or answer key (unless you are very comfortable with grammar yourself).  I can do the first 3 courses without the answer key, but I have taught through them two times and am working on the third time through.

The Holt books are updated in looks (pictures, colors, etc. --older ones have no pictures, and standard b/w text with red for emphasis) and the examples and sentences used in the exercises are different.  In looking at the table of contents, the Holt reprints look as though they cover the same range of topics (including diagramming! ).  I've never seen the Holt reprints in person, so I can't compare very thoroughly.  I do think that either edition, older or newer, will probably give an excellent base. 

Did you know that you can look at older editions of Warriners online at archive.org?  https://archive.org/search.php?query=title%3A(Grammar ) AND creator%3A(John Warriner)

ETA:  I used to have an 80's reprint of the Complete Course (as well as my 1970 Complete Course); I do remember that my 1970 book had more exercises and review exercises--the amount of student practice and review on each topic seemed shortened in the newer reprint. 

Edited by Zoo Keeper