Menu

What's with the ads?

Scarlett

Dh pay period changing ugh

He was getting paid once a month.  Which I love.  So clean.  Just sit down once a month, pay all the bills that are due or will be due for the coming month and what you have left is what you have left.  Even end of the month and the 15th is ok.  But this will be every 2 weeks.  Ugh.  I hate it.  

We just went through something similar a few months ago. Changing from 1st/15th pay days to binweekly.  Our company offered sessions for employees to help them plan how to change over bills and to adjust to the new pay cycle. 

• Like 2

The small hidden plus is that if you just pretend he's getting paid on the first and fifteenth, then twice a year you have a "bonus" paycheck.

• Like 16

If you happen to have enough buffer or in savings, you could just keep doing business once a month. You’d have to have a half month’s salary available. 

Personally, I’d be wondering why the employer is making this change. Hopefully it’s not because they’re having cash flow problems themselves. Could be a red flag. 

• Like 2

My husband is paid every two weeks since 2005. We use the first pay check of the month for mortgage and utilities, second pay check for credit card bills. On months with three pay checks, the third pay check goes to emergency funds.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AK_Mom4 said:

We just went through something similar a few months ago. Changing from 1st/15th pay days to binweekly.  Our company offered sessions for employees to help them plan how to change over bills and to adjust to the new pay cycle. 

I guess I should be glad I don't need a class, but man I liked my system so well.  

I get paid every 2 weeks at my job as well.  And naturally it will be the opposite week as dh.  Not sure why it matters though...LOL.  Just bugs me.  And no one in dh's small company wanted it and they did it anyway.  That leads me to believe there is some benefit for the owners to do it that way. And that is fine...their company their rules and all, but man.  

2 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

If you happen to have enough buffer or in savings, you could just keep doing business once a month. You’d have to have a half month’s salary available. 

Personally, I’d be wondering why the employer is making this change. Hopefully it’s not because they’re having cash flow problems themselves. Could be a red flag. 

Dh and I both thought of this.  But who knows.  They seem to have plenty of work.  

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

My husband is paid every two weeks since 2005. We use the first pay check of the month for mortgage and utilities, second pay check for credit card bills. On months with three pay checks, the third pay check goes to emergency funds.

That could work.  But I think I will just bank this months 2 paychecks and use them May first and do that every month. 

• Like 2

If you can work your budget so that you get a month ahead, you can still work your system.

By a month ahead, I mean using (for example) April's paychecks to pay May's bills.  It's really super stress free.  

• Like 4

Our company moved from 1st/15th to biweekly because it matches the standard accounting practice for our industry.   There could be a variety of reasons, but for the most part these types of changes are driven from a financial point of view. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AK_Mom4 said:

Our company moved from 1st/15th to biweekly because it matches the standard accounting practice for our industry.   There could be a variety of reasons, but for the most part these types of changes are driven from a financial point of view. 

Matching the standard accounting practice for our industry is a better thought than cash flow problems.  🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

If you can work your budget so that you get a month ahead, you can still work your system.

By a month ahead, I mean using (for example) April's paychecks to pay May's bills.  It's really super stress free.  

This is what we've done for years - Live of lasts month's pay.

• Like 1

It seems like every time DH changes jobs he gets a new pay schedule.  He does not have a set payday at his current job and it is very frustrating at times.  He turns in his time card on the 1st/16th of the month, but if that lands near a weekend then it affects when we get paid and it also affects how many work days are on a paycheck which can be anywhere from 9-12.  Usually it is two days after the time card is turned in, but if it is turned in on a Friday we may have to wait until the following Tuesday to get paid.  I plan auto withdrawals on the idea that the latest it will be is the 5th and the 20th.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Matching the standard accounting practice for our industry is a better thought than cash flow problems.  🙂

Lots of big name tech companies pay every two weeks. It just make payroll accounting easier since it’s ten working days per pay check. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Seasider too said:

That would never even occur to me. I would just assume it's to get on a more standard pay period. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, katilac said:

That would never even occur to me. I would just assume it's to get on a more standard pay period. 

No.  Every two weeks is not more standard.  I hate it.  Just sayin. 

I love us being paid biweekly, on opposing weeks. Somebody is always getting paid, lol. 

Edited by arctic_bunny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

The small hidden plus is that if you just pretend he's getting paid on the first and fifteenth, then twice a year you have a "bonus" paycheck.

We had this for years.  It was very nice! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Just curious, is getting paid once a month a common thing? I haven't heard of any companies that do that - usually it is weekly or every two weeks.

Our employees get paid every Monday, plus a once-a-month bonus check.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Selkie said:

Just curious, is getting paid once a month a common thing? I haven't heard of any companies that do that - usually it is weekly or every two weeks.

Our employees get paid every Monday, plus a once-a-month bonus check.

My experience is fairly limited I guess.  My job before ds was born (so 19 years since I quit it) was twice a month.  Xh's job he had at the time was monthly. His new job is weekly which he says is a pain.  Dh had a job about 6 years ago that was monthly.  And this job he has now was monthly until the change this month.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Arcadia said:

That’s exactly what we do.  It works very well.

• Like 1

My husband and I have worked for lots of years, lots of different companies, and we've experienced everything - weekly, bi-weekly (every other Friday), semi-monthly (15th and 30/31st), monthly.  Monthly was least common, followed by weekly.  

In my experience, it's harder to go from more often to less often, but no matter what, we always worked it out.  As long as the paychecks keep coming, I don't really care.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, marbel said:

My husband and I have worked for lots of years, lots of different companies, and we've experienced everything - weekly, bi-weekly (every other Friday), semi-monthly (15th and 30/31st), monthly.  Monthly was least common, followed by weekly.  

In my experience, it's harder to go from more often to less often, but no matter what, we always worked it out.  As long as the paychecks keep coming, I don't really care.  

So true.  This morning I was saying to myself, 'stop whining.  Be happy he has a job!'  I will get used to it I am sure.  

• Like 1

Military pay is semi- monthly, which was what we had for years and years.  Then dh retired.   Retirement and disability pay are once a month, at the beginning.  In the job he has as a contractor,  he was every two weeks when he started four and a half years ago, then semi-monthly and then a choice between semi- monthly and once a month.  he took once a month becauise that way he only has to fill out one time sheet a month and it is easier to make up any time lost due to medical appointments, etc if you have a month to make it up.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Really? Its how both Boeing and HDR paid (The first two big companies I worked for) Temp work was weekly and where I work now is weekly.  Also G.I. Joe's when my husband worked there until they changed (though I don't remember what they changed to. Just the upset in the change)

the state of TExas pays monthly and I don't like it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Really? Its how both Boeing and HDR paid (The first two big companies I worked for) Temp work was weekly and where I work now is weekly.  Also G.I. Joe's when my husband worked there until they changed (though I don't remember what they changed to. Just the upset in the change)

the state of TExas pays monthly and I don't like it.

Well, I really don't know.  LOL  I guess based on this thread a lot of people get paid every two weeks.  But I still don't like it.  LOL

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

Well, I really don't know.  LOL  I guess based on this thread a lot of people get paid every two weeks.  But I still don't like it.  LOL

It's better than twice a month because of the "extra" paychecks you get a couple times a year.

(I tended to budget based on 2 paychecks a month so that money really felt extra to me)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

It's better than twice a month because of the "extra" paychecks you get a couple times a year.

(I tended to budget based on 2 paychecks a month so that money really felt extra to me)

Yes I am going to try this too.  It will be nice to have a little bit to go toward EF.  

I find that monthly is the easiest to work with, but it can feel like a drought before the next check, lol! We don't pay bills with the current check, so it doesn't matter how DH gets paid, but monthly is neat and tidy.

I did find that more frequent makes it easier to pay stray bills since I'm already going online to check out the deposits, update the checkbook, etc. With monthly pay periods, I get grouchy that my bills don't come "on time" as it's like having to go to the grocery store for just.one.thing at some time when we weren't going out.  

My general experience goes with the data in the article someone posted--every two weeks is the most common way I've seen people be paid.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

It makes sense that you don’t like it. It doesn’t really matter what’s more common. When you’ve been accustomed to having things a certain way for years and you have your own system of how you handle the money and it has always worked well for you, being forced to change that is a real nuisance!

• Like 3

After all these years on the board, something about the USA surprises me again!  Here in South Africa it is the norm to get paid monthly.  The only people I know who get paid more frequently would be 'piece' work, like babysitting or manual labourers who get hired for the day.

• Like 1

I don't have a strong opinion on this, but I do remember a friend in college whose first "real job" out of college paid monthly.  This was a bit of a challenge for her, as she had a lot of expenses associated with starting out, but had to wait four weeks before her first paycheck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

Military pay is semi- monthly, which was what we had for years and years.  Then dh retired.   Retirement and disability pay are once a month, at the beginning.  In the job he has as a contractor,  he was every two weeks when he started four and a half years ago, then semi-monthly and then a choice between semi- monthly and once a month.  he took once a month becauise that way he only has to fill out one time sheet a month and it is easier to make up any time lost due to medical appointments, etc if you have a month to make it up.  

Yes, dh was 21 years in the Air Force, and was paid on the 15th and the 30th.  Then, he retired from the AF and went to work for an AF contractor, and they kept the same payment schedule.  But they were bought out by another contractor, who for the past year, kept the same 15th/30th schedule.  But, I think they were acquired again, apparently to a company not as tied to the military, and they switched us to bi-weekly.  So, after 36 years, it feels very strange to have to keep a calendar of Paydays. 

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

I find that monthly is the easiest to work with, but it can feel like a drought before the next check, lol! We don't pay bills with the current check, so it doesn't matter how DH gets paid, but monthly is neat and tidy.

I did find that more frequent makes it easier to pay stray bills since I'm already going online to check out the deposits, update the checkbook, etc. With monthly pay periods, I get grouchy that my bills don't come "on time" as it's like having to go to the grocery store for just.one.thing at some time when we weren't going out.  

My general experience goes with the data in the article someone posted--every two weeks is the most common way I've seen people be paid.

Yes!  I have the same grouchy feeling when I have to write a check to pay a bill.  What a pain!  I used to sit down once a month to pay all the bills.  Now, I find myself waiting until I have more checks to write, so I can do them all together, but there just aren't more, so sometimes I forget and people get mad at me for being late.  And I'm, like, "Well, if I could pay it online with all my other bills, you'd have been paid a long time ago!  heehee

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

It makes sense that you don’t like it. It doesn’t really matter what’s more common. When you’ve been accustomed to having things a certain way for years and you have your own system of how you handle the money and it has always worked well for you, being forced to change that is a real nuisance!

Indeed.  That's the crux.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

Now, I find myself waiting until I have more checks to write, so I can do them all together, but there just aren't more, so sometimes I forget and people get mad at me for being late.  And I'm, like, "Well, if I could pay it online with all my other bills, you'd have been paid a long time ago!  heehee

We are bill paying twins, lol! I did find out that some utilities will let you choose among due dates--usually in a 1st week or 3rd week sort of way. You might see if your outliers can be moved. I think I got one to move and then something else shifted, but I should maybe revisit that.

• Like 2

I would be annoyed, too. DH gets paid once a month and I love it. Having to rearrange things is a pain.

• Like 1

It is annoying.  But it's also cheaper for the company because it generally allows them to keep a smaller accounting staff.  And I think some payroll software encourages it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, kbutton said:

We are bill paying twins, lol! I did find out that some utilities will let you choose among due dates--usually in a 1st week or 3rd week sort of way. You might see if your outliers can be moved. I think I got one to move and then something else shifted, but I should maybe revisit that.

I've mostly got the utilities automated.  The ones that require checks are irregular service type things, like appliance repairs or propane fills.  They're frequently mom and pop type operations who don't have online payment options.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Depends where you are.  I have been paid monthly, fortnightly and weekly.  Monthly works only if your pay exceeds you expenses by a decent margin.  If not weekly is the easiest as you don't have more than a day or so at a time with no money.

The only one I have never had or met anyone who had is the 15th and 30th one so maybe it just isn't done in NZ.  

Edited by kiwik
  • Like 1

It's very standard here. In fact, I don't know anyone who is paid anything other than biweekly (by far the most common), twice a month, or weekly. 

• Like 1

I hated it when dh and I got switched around from monthly to bi-weekly or vice versa when we changed jobs and whatnot because I had to redo our budget. Then I tried living on 100% commission. You haven't lived until you not only have to juggle when you get paid but WHAT you get paid. It's miserable. There is practically no way to budget. And companies are evil geniuses when it comes to screwing their employees out of commission.

Now I don't care what the pay period looks like. As long as I have a reasonable idea what's coming in, and when, I'm happy. DH still has commission income, but thankfully we no longer need it to survive, since his base salary covers our expenses.

• Like 1

One thing you might want to look into is auto-paying the big standard bills and then staggering when they hit.   
Then use one of those money management softwares like Quicken.   You download your check payments from your bank into the software.   Make sure all your regular bills are in there.   Make sure your paychecks are in there.   Then look at the low-point on the graph for your balance.  That is how much money isn't already claimed.    

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

... So, after 36 years, it feels very strange to have to keep a calendar of Paydays. ...

I've put the paydays in my regular calendar in outlook and they pop-up just like a meeting.   I sort of like getting the 'Oooh, I've just been paid' notice.  

• Like 1

In my state, teachers are paid once a month.  My dh and I have always worked in education, so it is the norm for us.  However, I remember what a shock it was for me to quit my part time job (at which I was paid every other week) for my first full time teaching job.  We hired in in August but didn’t get paid until September!  😅 It was quite a shock, in addition to being something of a hardship since I had lots of expenses associated with setting up my first classroom and buying my first teaching wardrobe, etc. 

• Like 1