Menu

What's with the ads?

Rush

AoPS online school

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

So, it is the exact same course as SOHS except it is $3500 cheaper and you might get college credit for it. Why would anyone pay for the SOHS version? How is your son liking their classes? I'm keeping these in the back of my mind.

Just now, SeaConquest said:

So, it is the exact same course as SOHS except it is $3500 cheaper and you might get college credit for it. Why would anyone pay for the SOHS version? How is your son liking their classes? I'm keeping these in the back of my mind.

It is more of a self study mode. The math class has a weekly 1hr 15mins session with the lecturer. The physics class is a weekly drop in study session and sometimes the lecturer cancels if he can’t make it. So for physics the student has to treat the class as self study. 

Just now, Arcadia said:

It is more of a self study mode. The math class has a weekly 1hr 15mins session with the lecturer. The physics class is a weekly drop in study session and sometimes the lecturer cancels if he can’t make it. So for physics the student has to treat the class as self study. 

That seems like tough material to self-study. So, the SOHS students get more lectures/instructor support?

12 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

That seems like tough material to self-study. So, the SOHS students get more lectures/instructor support?

They should. SOHS is an online private school after all. DS14 isn’t interested in writing application essays for the SOHS single course application and the price tag for SOHS single course is high since he isn’t aiming to be a math major. 

On 6/15/2019 at 11:50 AM, Arcadia said:

So did your kid(s) go all the way through AoPS and then to this?  What, if anything, did they use between AoPS and this provider? 

And if you happen to know, how do the various calculus courses and prerequisites listed relate back to traditional college calc I, II, and III? I though calc III was multivariate...? But then what is calc C?

1 minute ago, Cake and Pi said:

So did your kid(s) go all the way through AoPS and then to this?  What, if anything, did they use between AoPS and this provider? 

And if you happen to know, how do the various calculus courses and prerequisites listed relate back to traditional college calc I, II, and III? I though calc III was multivariate...? But then what is calc C?

DS14 when from AoPS prealgebra to Calculus, then self study for the AP calc bc exam. Then he had fun with the aops WOOT class in 8th grade before using this provider in 9th grade. 

I think Calc C is Calc BC minus the part already covered in AP Calc AB. I have no idea how it relate back to the traditional college calc I, II, III, linear algebra sequence. 

• Like 1