Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
OKBud

I looked at the members list on the WTM FB group...

...and it was totally depressing. They have a section of people you have FB stuff in common with, and there were literally hundreds of people, none of whom I actually know, with whom I have a *lot* of interests in common. Not even just homeschool stuff. Hobbies. Religious proclivities. Places we've lived. [whom whom whom!]

Leaving aside how weird and creeptastic FB is.... Dag on it man! I can barely scare up two acquaintances to rub together IRL in this (isolated) location! What a waste!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I’m not in an isolated location but in the same boat. It’s hard! Especially when regular life takes up so much time. I talk to my former neighbor more now than when she lived down the street.

I do think that over the years I’ve gotten more picky about who I let into my life. I don’t have the time or energy to get sucked into someone else’s drama. I used to be a magnet for messes and they bled my dry.

My family has a great little setup. We enjoy hanging out together and share many similar interests. I figure that’s not going to last forever. They are going to move out one day though I hope our home still feels like a place they can hang out whenever or drop the kids off. Dh is striving for that vision. So I guess I’m in a season of my life where regular IRL friends that are not cousins (who I love to hang out with) are just not a part of my reality. It’s something I created, so I could try to fix it if I wanted to. But I’m also looking at homeschooling high school x2 in the next few years and I’m not sure if I’ll be someone people want to hang out with because my mental load may be taxed. 

Words are a little bit emptier on the screen, but at least I do have an outlet. I think I’d be in a completely different state if I didn’t have something like these forums and FB groups to flex some alternative brain muscles. 

• Like 3

Honestly for me to see all I have in common with on WTM FB and other various groups is a relief. That way I can see what we have in common and try to keep conversation there or near the topic versus inadvertently offending someone. And it's so easy to check Facebook when I have a ten minute lull in between having to do stuff versus fighting to get out of the house. 

Though I get what by what you mean by being able to talk to someone in person. Sometimes I'd really have to have some one-on-one interaction with someone who has similar academics as my family, with our children close in age so they can run themselves silly at the park while we sit back for a moment. Ahh. Ah well. 

9 hours ago, Plum said:

I’m not sure if I’ll be someone people want to hang out with because my mental load may be taxed. 

Or maybe you'll develop a newly salty vocabulary that fellow teen-moms can really appreciate 🙂 

(hugs and high fives. Totally.)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, OKBud said:

...and it was totally depressing. They have a section of people you have FB stuff in common with, and there were literally hundreds of people, none of whom I actually know, with whom I have a *lot* of interests in common. Not even just homeschool stuff. Hobbies. Religious proclivities. Places we've lived. [whom whom whom!]

Leaving aside how weird and creeptastic FB is.... Dag on it man! I can barely scare up two acquaintances to rub together IRL in this (isolated) location! What a waste!

I just checked that group.  I had actually forgotten about it.  I too have 100s of people with things in common but most of it is DNA stuff.  

As far as finding people to hang out with IRL.....I am finding it is all changing now that the boys are grown.  Our life is not centered around them anymore.  Very weird feeling.