Menu

Greek for 2 years

I was hoping that CAP offered Greek Alive! like their Latin materials, but now I'm not sure where to turn.  First Form Greek by Memoria Press? Any recommendations for 2 years of Greek (11-12th grades)?

Edited by Mom21

My dd is doing Greek I with Mr. Barr at Lukeion.  There is an option to take Greek I & II in one year at CLRC and earn college credit and I believe they also have a regularly-paced program.  My dd may take Greek II through CLRC next spring.  Both providers use the Athenaze books.

Edited by Mom0012
  • Like 1

Are you looking for an online class, live class, or materials to use at home (self-taught or DVD's)? 

Classical Greek or Koine?

I would do Elementary Greek at a faster pace, and then go to Memoria's First Form Greek.  I think that those programs would be enough for two years of high school credit worthy Greek study.  That is what I am currently doing with my high school student.

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zoo Keeper said:

Are you looking for an online class, live class, or materials to use at home (self-taught or DVD's)? 

Classical Greek or Koine?

I would do Elementary Greek at a faster pace, and then go to Memoria's First Form Greek.  I think that those programs would be enough for two years of high school credit worthy Greek study.  That is what I am currently doing with my high school student.

I'm thinking materials to use at home (self-taught or DVD's) and Koine. (I didn't know the difference between Classical and Koine until you asked, so thank you for asking.) Your plan seems like a great idea! I'll think we'll do something along those lines.

• Like 1

There will not be a Greek Alive! but Greek For Children A, B & C were all expected to be out last summer and you might want to contact the author. The new B & C will line up with the new A which is not the same as the old A.

The author of Elementary Greek says each book is half a high school credit so with @Zoo Keeper's suggestion many people would only use the first 2 books (tagged you in case you want to add anything).

I have Mounce but don't like it and plan to use Black. Both have video components. Greek 101 is lovely, but fast paced.

• Like 2

Hi! I'm back.

Mounce is only one year and often followed up by Greek Grammar Beyond The Basics.

Black has 2 years.

Reading Koine Greek is a workbook approach with no video component that looks quite nifty.

Learn New Testament Greek by Dobson is a fun supplement.

The Greek 101 course I mentioned earlier covers classical, Homeric and Koine and discusses the differences. If your goal is deeper Bible study then other forms are a waste of time and I shouldn't have mentioned Greek 101.

First Form Greek mentioned by Zoo Keeper is classical as well, but probably the simplest to implement.

I like Greek. :happy:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Slache said:

First Form Greek mentioned by Zoo Keeper is classical as well, but probably the simplest to implement.

Agree about easy to implement (for Greek 🙂) and has great teacher support materials.  I disagree that it is classical as such, although MP says it will prepare one well for classical: this is a Memoria Press course that's meant to feed forward into their Biblical materials.  I may be mistaken ...

1 minute ago, serendipitous journey said:

Agree about easy to implement (for Greek 🙂) and has great teacher support materials.  I disagree that it is classical as such, although MP says it will prepare one well for classical: this is a Memoria Press course that's meant to feed forward into their Biblical materials.  I may be mistaken ...

I emailed them when it came out. The person who responded said it was classical but I don't know if it was the author and I've never held it in my hands.

The bottom line though, if it is classical but the simplest to implement then it's the right choice. There really is not that much of a difference between the two and learning a few unnecessary things is better than choosing the wrong curriculum and learning nothing.

I'm not saying it's the right choice, but possibly not being Koine does not make it the wrong choice. OP, anyone who can read Classical can read Koine.

• Like 1

Plans have changed for my high school student; he is currently finishing up EG 2 and will then go to Machen's NT Greek for Beginners.  Memoria's First Form Greek (which looks lovely) is too much $ for my current budget.  I already have Machen on the shelf, so that will be the budget option for now. 

Here's a pdf of Machen  (from archive.org) https://ia600304.us.archive.org/9/items/newtestamentgree00mach/newtestamentgree00mach.pdf

Machen can be expensive, and hard to find in really good condition on the used market (those blasted seminary students keep writing in their books...) 😉 , so you could just print off chapters as you need or want them. 

And here's answers to the translation exercises in the Machen text (not the best quality formatting, and I don't like the transliteration on some of it, but hey, it's free!)

ETA: Obviously, my replies are geared towards a Koine (NT Greek) focus.  I would love to learn Classical, but all I have been able to do is dabble in it.

More Koine resources:

This text and workbook  by Hildebrandt also have very good explanations (and you can't beat the price). It's not keyed to Machen, but would also make a good follow up to EG.  There is also a website where you can download audio for Hildebrandt's book. http://biblicalelearning.org/introductory-languages/mastering-new-testament-greek/

Just to be clear,  I would not expect a high school student to finish either Hildebrandt's books or Machen, even if they took two years.  I took 2 years (4 semesters) to get through Machen in college, so that *could* be equal to 4 years of high school work. 

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Slache said:

I emailed them when it came out. The person who responded said it was classical but I don't know if it was the author and I've never held it in my hands.

The bottom line though, if it is classical but the simplest to implement then it's the right choice. There really is not that much of a difference between the two and learning a few unnecessary things is better than choosing the wrong curriculum and learning nothing.

I'm not saying it's the right choice, but possibly not being Koine does not make it the wrong choice. OP, anyone who can read Classical can read Koine.

Oh, yes, this is absolutely a good choice if one is interested in Koine and for someone with the OP's goals.  But someone browsing the thread might mark First Form Greek as a strong intro. for Homeric/Attic Greek, which might not flow so easily.  We're beginning FFG in order to lay groundwork for classical/Athenaze, but will be working through the classical Greek textbook from the beginning when we hit it. 

I really like the grammatical foundations that both Form series lay down (well, we're just starting the Greek, but so far so good) and the fact that I am able to teach them, without a classical language background. 

Okay, change of plans. After further research and discussion with my young man, it looks like Classical/Ancient/Attic may be the plan of attack, mainly with the point of being able to read Koine but also knowing Ancient/Classical/Attic. But absolutely not FFG, as he has a strong dislike for most MP materials; they do not fit his style of learning. Convince me otherwise?

I'm still looking at the possibility of CAP's Greek for Children and/or Athenaze. 

ETA: Kiddo voted for Athenaze. Thank you everyone!

Edited by Mom21

1 hour ago, Mom21 said:

Okay, change of plans. After further research and discussion with my young man, it looks like Classical/Ancient/Attic may be the plan of attack, mainly with the point of being able to read Koine but also knowing Ancient/Classical/Attic. But absolutely not FFG, as he has a strong dislike for most MP materials; they do not fit his style of learning. Convince me otherwise?

I'm still looking at the possibility of CAP's Greek for Children and/or Athenaze. 

Athenaze is difficult to teach and CAP is Koine.

I would do Introduction to Classical Greek or Greek 101 followed by Athenaze.

1 hour ago, Mom21 said:

I myself couldn't supervise/teach Athenaze well, so we're using CLRC to begin it next year (we tried Lukeion early in the school year, but DS13 really wilted with the Lukeion teaching in Greek and in Latin; he doesn't love classical languages, but is enjoying his CLRC Latin). 

When I thought I'd be teaching Classical Greek myself I planned to start with the Great Courses Greek 101 Slache mentioned, which I think is excellent and might be a great fit for a motivated high-schooler; it was a poor fit for my unmotivated middle-schooler 😉 .  Here's the DVD course; you can also get access to it through a Great Courses online subscription -- they offer a free trial for this. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1