Menu

UPDATED - BOUGHT ONE!! Subaru owners please come in!

StaceyinLA

If you own a Subaru, which one? Do you love it? Would you recommend it, and why?

Also, do you pull anything with it, and, if so, what, and what model are you pulling with?

Basically, just give me the scoop. I'm looking at the Forester and Outback

I have an old Outback and I love it. It has 318,000 miles on it. The thing I really like about it is the all wheel drive. I can drive down my gravel road in the snow now and don't have to park my car up by the main road and walk 1.5 miles to it, through the snow, when I have to go to work and it's snowing.

We have an old Forester (2004) that my wife currently drives. We love it.

If we get another vehicle it will almost certainly be a Suburu. We've been looking., but the Forester is going strong.

Both of my parents and my brother have all driven Subarus. Universal love here.

The ugly-duckling looks can be polarizing for some people. But the engineering and safety of these vehicles is exceptional.

The AWD is world class, as is the boxter engine design. Very reliable. Look at the longevity reports.

And, to me anyway, they have a personality that I find lacking in the leading Japanese competitors.

I think of them as a Japanese equivalent of a Volvo. Just far more economical. Get the leather interior and they have "Eurostyle."

I've never pulled anything with a Suby. Not sure how suited they are to that task.

Bill

• Like 2

We just bought our fifth Subaru.  We still have three of them.  

'87 Subaru GL coupe.  We'd probably still have it, but dh rolled it (like a cartwheel) when he swerved to avoid two bicyclists in the dark.  The cyclists were un-hit,  and the car was totaled, but Dh walked away with only a minor bump on his head from the side glass.  It had over 200,000 miles on it at the time of the accident.

'92 Subaru SVX.  Has over 280,000 miles.  It is a fast, stylish, unique car with a cult following (which is no longer made).  Had to replace the transmission and a few peripherals (like the visors), but it runs beautifully.  I don't think dh will ever part with it.

'97 Subaru Outback.  This was my car for 21 years and had 268,000 miles.  I loved that car, for all the reasons Spy Car mentioned.  Plus, it would pull a small utility trailer (holding a motorcycle or a 100 gallon gas tank) with no problem, but probably not long distances.  I can't speak for newer models.  It finally started overheating intermittently, and we suspected the head gasket.  It was going to cost way more to fix it than could be justified, so we drove it down to the local charity, and donated it.

'03 Subaru Outback.  We received this car from my mom when she stopped driving.  It only has about 60,000 miles on it, and we expect it will be going for a good long time.  Our dd has it at college.  Like our other Outback, it seems to grow claws when it needs to climb a snow packed hill.  It loves them!  As long as the tires aren't bald, it will claw through anything.

'19 Subaru Crosstrek.  We just got this car to replace the Outback that we donated. LOVE IT!  Dh needed something that would tow his little gas trailer, and it does so with no problem.  

Just do the regular maintenance religiously, and a Subaru will serve you well for many, many years.

• Like 1

I have actually been leaning toward the Forester for a couple reasons, and the 2019 is a little longer than it used to be. I'm not sure if that extended the wheel base or not, but I'm definitely gonna look into it. I like that the Forester sits a little higher like an SUV, and I love that it has such great visiblity!

The Outback is really great too though, so it's gonna be a tough decision.

Apparently the Forester can pull up to 1500 pounds, and the 4-cyl outback, 1700. The 6 cylinder Outback can tow up to 2500, but I'm not sure I wanna give up gas mileage to tow that much more. I was looking at those little, tiny campers that weigh around 1300 pounds, or maybe just the smaller trailers with the tents that fold out of them that weigh less than 1000.

I just really love all the safety features!

11 minutes ago, Margaret in CO said:

We have one--a 2015 Outback. I drove the Forester--not a fan, as it has the same clearance, but a shorter wheelbase. It was very bouncy. I have to say, I'm not that enthralled with the AWD, but then, I was coming off 4WD in a Tahoe (several Tahoes, and a Suburban before that). I love the gas mileage, and it's a good car to sleep in--a twin pad just fits in the back with the back seat down, with space for a backpack. I'm still not sure about this car--I REALLY miss my 4WD Tahoe! We live in Siberia, and I miss that 4 low range. Most folks don't see our insane snow amounts though--283" so far this year at the ski area.  I do like that mine has both automatic and manual. I would never pull anything with it though--it's not designed for that. There is no hitch.  Probably every 3rd car in our little town is a Subaru. And the other 3rd are trucks. We have numerous trucks, so I don't need to pull anything with my Subaru. The Subaru is a tough little car--we had to pull mine out of a ditch for over a quarter of a mile in deep, deep snow (not my idea to drive it in there) and it took a 1 ton, with chains on all four wheels to do it. With no hitch, we had to pull on the axle--the wheels were only slightly out of alignment at the end, and no damage was done. 

Follow up question, hope not irrelevant to OP— we are looking for a vehicle that can be slept in comfortably.  When you say twin pad fits in back of Outback, what do you mean by “twinpad” and is the position flat and comfortable for sleeping?

We have a new Ascent but haven’t added a hitch yet. So far, everything seems great with it. I’m nervous about the new model unknowns. We went with the 8 passenger because in the 7 seat model the captain chairs do not fold very flat and the gap between them was awkward size.

I had a 2013 Subaru forester that I sold to a friend's daughter.  It was the bare bones model.  I would suggest going up a bit in trim lines to get more comfortable seats, etc.  I would not have sold it but it came from MIL and she bought a minivan before she passed away and I got that. I couldn't justify having 2 vehicles since I am the only driver.  I chose to keep the van as it is very often me with 4 young adults and while we did fit in the subaru it was a tight fit (they are better suited to 4 people despite the 5 seat belts...at least the older forester).  I miss the AWD though.  The honda van was just a better fit for my lifestyle and travels with 5 people, often the dog and a friend or 2, and our gear.

1 minute ago, Acorn said:

We have a new Ascent but haven’t added a hitch yet. So far, everything seems great with it. I’m nervous about the new model unknowns. We went with the 8 passenger because in the 7 seat model the captain chairs do not fold very flat and the gap between them was awkward size.

I would have loved the Ascent but it wasn't available when MIL decided she needed a different vehicle and sent me out to buy it.

I had a 1998 Forester until a couple of years ago when repair costs (old age parts wearing out) no longer made sense. We replaced it with another Forester.

We love Subarus--the safety features, the sitting up high (me), the AWD. In our climate, I consider AWD a necessity and I'm grateful to have a car I can feel confident will help keep my new driver as safe as possible. 

• Like 2

We currently have two Subaru Foresters:  a 2010 and a 2015.  We had another one early in our marriage which I loved - we put over 150,000 miles on it, and I only sold it b/c after the kids came along, I needed something bigger.  

I love my Subaru - I can fit my bike in it, or my xc skis.  I’ve never gotten stuck in it - I love my AWD.  

Anne

I've had 2 Subarus, both Imprezas.  Love them!  The first one lasted 15 years before repairs started getting expensive - that's really good for my part of Canada where rust wrecks cars quickly.  I've replaced it with another Impreza.  With a good wet of snow tires, it is unbeatable for winter driving.  It has handled every imaginable on-road winter driving condition you can think of.  And way more fuel efficient than a truck.  Bar none, it's the best winter commuter vehicle on the market.

What might you be towing?  My husband is currently looking to replace his tow vehicle.  He has rejected the Subaru Ascent as not up tot he task.  He tows big, heavy stuff and needs a real truck.

I successfully tow a little open landscape trailer with my Impreza.  It can happily tow a yard of gravel, or a load of mulch, or a snowblower etc

I have a Subaru Outback.  People here do no t think I need it in this climate=== we do not get snow often.  Well I live on a very steep hill and we get ice more than snow.  Either one, the Subaru has no issues.  Another interesting fact I have discovered, is how usedful AWD is in very rainy climates where water pools on the highways.  THe AWD does a great job on slippery roads from any reason. 

• Like 1

I was thinking of towing a little, lightweight camper or pull tent. I've found some that it should technically pull. It's not a guarantee, but I'm considering it.

The rain here is what would make AWD nice, and the water on the roads. We rarely get snow in south Louisiana.

What made me look at Foresters and Outbacks initially is that they are some of the only 5 seater vehicles that can handle 3 car seats, which is rarely needed for me, but occasionally I'll have 3 of the grandkids.

The gas mileage is NICE, and my insurance will actually drop lower than on my 2012 Enclave.

I have a 2018 Forester and I love it. This is my third Forester. DH has had a Legacy, Outback and now a Crosstrek. I think the Outback was his favorite of the 3. I prefer the Forester because it doesn't make me carsick. I'm very prone to motion sickness and I have to be careful about which cars I drive to make sure they don't make it worse.

I have a red 2013 Outback, now at ~70K.  Before that I had a red 2006 Outback, which I gave my brother in 2013 when it got to about ~210K.  They're still driving it; so long as you keep up with basic maintenance they are immortal.

I fully plan to only ever buy red Outbacks for the rest of my driving life, so, that simplifies ONE THING, lol.

On the mileage -- my life-of-vehicle is just a smidge over 29, which considering how heavy the car *feels* seems pretty good.  But I've never towed anything; I'm sure that would make an enormous difference.

I avoided buying a Subaru for years because it is such a cliche vehicle in our area (winter weather and lots of hipster types.) We needed to replace a vehicle that was recalled in 2017, and disliked the local dealers for the other types of vehicles. All that to say that we ended up at the Subaru dealership, and have had a Forester for two years. It's a great, reliable vehicle, way better than the VW it replaced. Our other two vehicles are a 2006 Expedition and 2002 Saturn sedan. They have been good too, but we would probably go Subaru again next time.

I have in 03 forester that’s still going strong.  I love love love it and when it eventually decides hope to replace it with a newer version.  It’s so easy to park and navigate, even with the age the little nifty cup holders etc are great and don’t seem to give in.  It handles beautifully on our windy and dirt roads.

edited to add I wouldn’t tow with it other than a very light trailer for moving hay squares or small firewood loads

Edited by Ausmumof3

1 hour ago, GoodGrief1 said:

I avoided buying a Subaru for years because it is such a cliche vehicle in our area (winter weather and lots of hipster types.) We needed to replace a vehicle that was recalled in 2017, and disliked the local dealers for the other types of vehicles. All that to say that we ended up at the Subaru dealership, and have had a Forester for two years. It's a great, reliable vehicle, way better than the VW it replaced. Our other two vehicles are a 2006 Expedition and 2002 Saturn sedan. They have been good too, but we would probably go Subaru again next time.

Lol the other vehicle I have considered is the VW Tiguan. Of course, we had great success with the 2 jettas my kids drove, so I’m not anti-VW.

I need to look at the safety stuff though, and see if the Tiguan makes the list.

I’m not opposed to the Outback, but I really like both, and the Forester is a little less expensive, so that was kinda swaying me a bit too.

4 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

What's the head room like in the Forester? I'm looking for a good, safe, used car for DS, who is 6'6" — anyone know any really tall people who drive a Forester?

Lots of headroom in Foresters. Lack of headroom is my chief complaint in automobiles. Have him sit in one.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 2

I had a 13 Outback and traded it in on the 15. The 15 has lots more features (power hatch and heated back seats were 2 big ones for me), so if you are looking at used, I would go with a 15 or up if you can.

I love the way it handles the weather. I live in the PNW and drive it in all types of weather. Rain, snow, ice etc. The AWD is great, but I also put studless snow tires on it, so it goes pretty much anywhere with 6 inches of snow or less. It powers up hills like a champ. It has a quick boost of power right off the line but is a bit sluggish getting going to full speed, especially when it is cold.  You can change lanes in a city just fine in it, but getting going from a full stop, takes a second or two longer than I would like. 

I buy the Limited package because I like leather and higher end features. 

We had Subaru hitches installed on both at the dealer. We tow a small utility trailer with almost zero effort. We also tow a smallish fishing boat and it does fine with that as well. My husband pays attention to the rated load capacity on our vehicles and haven't had a problem within those parameters. 

ETA: A major selling point in both for me, was that you can put 3 teens in the back seat. Or 2 full size adults, comfortably, without touching :0). 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Corraleno said:

What's the head room like in the Forester & Outback? I'm looking for a good, safe, used car for DS, who is 6'6" — anyone know any really tall people who drive one?

I have a friend around that height. He loves his Forester, but had to go with the base model because a sunroof decreases headroom enough so it wasn't comfortable/possible for him. The base model allows a couple of necessary inches.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, StaceyinLA said:

Lol the other vehicle I have considered is the VW Tiguan. Of course, we had great success with the 2 jettas my kids drove, so I’m not anti-VW.

I need to look at the safety stuff though, and see if the Tiguan makes the list.

I’m not opposed to the Outback, but I really like both, and the Forester is a little less expensive, so that was kinda swaying me a bit too.

DH has a VW Jetta and is planning to replace it with a Subaru. :)

He likes his VW fine but Subarus can't be beat where we live. 

I just spent months looking at used cars hoping to find a Subaru. A Subaru is my dream car and I would love to own one some day. 

I thought I wanted an Outback but, after test driving it, I wasn't in love with it. I felt cramped in the driver's seat. Even with a sunroof/moonroof, I was feeling claustrophobic. The Crosstrek was even worse; it made me uncomfortable and I felt like I was only inches off the road.  I also didn't feel like there was any headroom; all of this coming from a person who loves vintage VWs and is used to small cars.

The Forester, however, was perfect. I liked the size, the clearance, and the interior. I felt comfortable and in control. I can't rave enough about how much I liked the Forester. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one in my price point that didn't have multiple accidents, a salvage title, or 200,000+ miles. Two things I discovered while looking at used Subarus are they hold their resale value and their owners are loyal to the brand. You gotta love the Subaru reputation.

For those of you who were gifted with a Subaru, I am envious.  Enjoy your ride!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MEmama said:

I have a friend around that height. He loves his Forester, but had to go with the base model because a sunroof decreases headroom enough so it wasn't comfortable/possible for him. The base model allows a couple of necessary inches.

Another nice thing about the Forester base model is that you can get it with a manual transmission. They're getting harder to find, but I hate driving automatics, so the base model Forester works great for me.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 10:33 PM, Tap said:

I had a 13 Outback and traded it in on the 15. The 15 has lots more features (power hatch and heated back seats were 2 big ones for me), so if you are looking at used, I would go with a 15 or up if you can.

I love the way it handles the weather. I live in the PNW and drive it in all types of weather. Rain, snow, ice etc. The AWD is great, but I also put studless snow tires on it, so it goes pretty much anywhere with 6 inches of snow or less. It powers up hills like a champ. It has a quick boost of power right off the line but is a bit sluggish getting going to full speed, especially when it is cold.  You can change lanes in a city just fine in it, but getting going from a full stop, takes a second or two longer than I would like. 

I buy the Limited package because I like leather and higher end features. 

We had Subaru hitches installed on both at the dealer. We tow a small utility trailer with almost zero effort. We also tow a smallish fishing boat and it does fine with that as well. My husband pays attention to the rated load capacity on our vehicles and haven't had a problem within those parameters. 

ETA: A major selling point in both for me, was that you can put 3 teens in the back seat. Or 2 full size adults, comfortably, without touching :0). 

It’s funny you mentioned the take-off, as one thing I noticed when driving the two (I was only able to drive a used Forester - 2018 model - so I didn’t compare new to new), was that the Forester has a little peppier takeoff, whereas the Outback was a little more sluggish. I’m sure that’s because the Forester is a lighter vehicle overall.

There are things I prefer about each over the other, so I have no idea what I’ll wind up with. I’m putting my vehicle up for sale next week and I guess I’ll go from there.

One other thing I was considering is that the Forester was updated this year (2019), so if I buy one of those it will be the current model for 5 years. The Outback is due to be updated in 2020, so I’d almost immediately be driving the “older” model. I realize that isn’t huge in the grand scheme, but if I’m buying something I expect to drive for 10 years, I might like it to be more current for the first 5. I guess the other option would be to wait until the 2020 models come out, but that’s no fun. 😜

Edited by StaceyinLA

22 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

Another nice thing about the Forester base model is that you can get it with a manual transmission. They're getting harder to find, but I hate driving automatics, so the base model Forester works great for me.

Oh gosh that would be awesome!! I LOVE a stickshift! I have been looking at the base 2019s anyway because they are now equipped with the bulk of the safety features I’m looking for, and all the tech I want in a car. I rarely open a sunroof because, honestly, it’s just too darn hot here most of the time and the sun comes in and burns the top of my head, so I really don’t see the need to pay for that. I don’t really like leather at all. It’s just too darn hot in the summer here. There are a couple other features on the premium I like, but they aren’t critical.

We have a '01 outback that sold us to the brand. It is never ever stuck and we can plow snow uphill with the bumper. We weren't Subaru people but it just keeps going so we ended up with an Outback WRX Wagon with a manual last year since we have 4 drivers. It has a 2006 body although a 2016 engine and tranny with only 20k miles due to DH's mad skills.

The biggest difference is space. My 6'4" son can fit in the 2006 but is jammed like a sardine into the 2001. My husband opens the sun roof and tips his head sideways for a little room but he is so much happier with the comfortable room of the 2006. I actually have to move the seat forward to push the clutch all the way in and we typically never move seats in our family as we usually all drive with seats as far back as they will go. I'm not sure this is the difference in the year or a wagon versus sedan thing.

Edited by frogger
Spelling

Yeah my struggle is I like different things on the Outbacks and Foresters, so I’m having a hard time deciding which one to buy, or if I should just spend my money right now on a small camper to tow behind my Enclave and forget the new car for a while. SO confused...

We drive cars till they die, and hope it’s a long, long life.  Our VW Passat Wagon died finally, and we replaced it with a ‘19 Forester.

I’m in love with that vehicle.  It’s ridiculous.  I am so *not* a car girl, but man, that vehicle rocks.

To be fair: I was pulling for the Forester, but honestly, it was the only one that fit our needs.  Driveable by a short person (me - I must have sat in 50 vehicles to find one that worked), able to tow something very small, room for dogs or a wheelchair in the back, and a slightly roomier backseat than our last car.

The ‘19 has a lot of smart car features which are pretty cool.  I like them more than I thought I would.  

2 hours ago, StaceyinLA said:

Yeah my struggle is I like different things on the Outbacks and Foresters, so I’m having a hard time deciding which one to buy, or if I should just spend my money right now on a small camper to tow behind my Enclave and forget the new car for a while. SO confused...

A few things I know are different on the Outback vs Forester. 

Outback is the width of a full size sedan, Forester is slightly slimmer. This matters if you park in an  area with smaller parking spaces. Schools are notorious for packing in as many cars as possible, so are inner city parking lots.  If you live in an area where land is a premium price, the parking spots are likely smaller and the Forester will be easier to park. My Outbacks both had door dings within the first few weeks of owning them. I often park in the back of parking lots, but can't always do that..hence the door dings.

The Forester is taller inside and will fit taller people easier. I think the ground clearance is similar. You can put two adults in the back seat and they will be comfortable, but if they are bigger people, they might be touching each other to do so (we have a daughter with sensory issues, so that is why I point that out). The Forester has slightly better visibility, but both are great. I have no issues with the Outback, with proper use of the mirrors and camera. The Forester has more direct line of sight since the windows are taller. 

In the model years, I was looking at they had different features, so make sure if you are comparing year to year and model to model, you are full aware of what features each has.  Same with paint color and interior. Not all options are available in both.  The year I was looking the white on the Forester was a pearly white; the Outback was a plain white.  Both were white, but definitely different looking. Not a Subaru story, but a friend once bought a car from a car lot and didn't realize until a week later when she went to roll the window down that it had manual windows. The car she drove had power windows, but they had sent over a car from a different car lot (color that she preferred) and it didn't have have them. It didn't occur to her to verify the windows were powered. The dealership wouldn't take the car back because it was outside the 3 day 'love it or return it' policy. This was maybe 5 years, ago, so not that old of a cautionary tale to make sure what you are getting.  Drive the actual car you are buying before you sign the papers!!!

If you like to put stuff on top of your car....the Outback is pretty much car height. We could load/unload kayaks without a stool (big reason we got the Outback). We would likely need a stool for the Forester.  I am 5'8 dh is 6'. 

My Outback gets 22mpg in the city with stop lights and traffic signals every few miles. Once I get on an open road without all the signs/signals, I average 25mpg. Freeway or highway with consistent speeds for an entire trip, and I get 30-33mpg.  

If you live in a warm climate, a feature to verify is on the model/year you get, is vents in the back. They aren't great, but having the air conditioning blowing in the back on a hot day, not only cools the car off faster, but also keeps the occupants happier since they can adjust the vents to their liking. 

The power lift hatch was't available on the Outback (even my high end model) in the 13 which never occurred to me. I thought it was standard in modern hatch style cars. Verify it is available on the model you buy. LOL It sucks when you have something in your hand and need to close the back or you have a hurt back/arm and have to slam it shut. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for that! I'm still looking and struggling with a decision. I actually drove a Crosstrek also, and really loved it! It handled like a sports car! The size would likely work just fine for me at this point, but I'm struggling with making a decision.

In all honesty, I'm probably gonna wait until the fall when the 2020s are out, and hope to get my hands on a 2019 at a really good price. If not, spring of 2020 is probably when I'll wind up buying.

My problem - I also want to get a really small camper to take my grandkids camping, and I need to weigh whether I really want a Subaru, or whether I want to be able to pull a small camper.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've still been on the fence with this. I'm supposed to go this morning and look at an Outback at a different dealership (my more local one just never has any of the lower end models, and I'm not buying the most expensive one). I've read so much about them.

I think my biggest concern, and it seems to be a complaint about both of them, is lack of power. I'm not going with the V6 Outback because it's only in the top of the line model, plus I don't want to lose the gas mileage, and I see a lot of complaints about how sluggish it is taking off and getting up to a good speed.

Any comments regarding this from you Outback owners?

The Forester gets those same complaints, although I remember it being a little peppier at take off (probably because it's a little lighter, and has slightly more horsepower than the Outback), and the reviews aren't quite as good as the Outbacks.

Also, the Outbacks right now have some good incentives since they are about to come out with the slightly redesigned 2020 model.

I have never had so much trouble making up my mind about a vehicle in my life, but my Enclave is having some intermittent issues that my dh thinks could be electrical, and we really need to get out of it before it costs us a fortune.

The Subaru ascent can tow 5,000 lbs. We still haven’t added a hitch to ours but have been happy with the vehicle so far. My only complaints are the keyless entry that dh wanted and the power lift gate. I would prefer a manual lift gate. 

Drove both the Outback and Forester Tuesday, and while the Forester is the one I initially preferred, the Outback was by far my favorite. The ride is SO much better, as is the road noise level - I couldn't believe how quiet it was!

Anyway, my husband is on the case. He's being doing lots of car research and now he's an expert on car buying (although I have negotiated and purchased every, single car I've driven in the last 20 years), so he's got the job of finding me what I want for the price HE thinks it should be. We shall see...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • StaceyinLA changed the title to UPDATED - BOUGHT ONE!! Subaru owners please come in!

jumping in late – but congrats!  we have a 2001 Outback and love it for the snow. And rain. Our son bought a 2017 Crosstrek (he lives in Utah and it's all he drives in the winter; he also has/had a convertible and a motorcycle) and my husband is eyeing them also. We will probably buy our son's Crosstrek from him soon 😊 as he admits he doesn't really need two cars (he's moving to warmer climes).

Thanks!! I am super excited! We really don’t need anything for snow here in Louisiana for sure, but I’ve read some really positive things about driving them in the rain, and we definitely have our fair share of that!

Having it just makes me want to load it up with camping gear/bikes/kayaks, and take off! 😜

• Like 2