Menu

Any way to supplement for kids in public school?

New to site so thank you in advance for any responses. My wife and I were planning to home school our eldest son (in 3rd grade), but due to unforeseen circumstances we were unable to move forward as planned. Having read TWTM in anticipation of homeschooling I appreciate the classical method of education. Since our son will be a product of the public school system for the foreseeable future I am curious if any parents have successfully incorporated classical curriculum as a supplement to public school. 

I read Susan Wise Bauer's history books to my son every night and I would appreciate input from parents that have fallen back to the public school system but Incorporated classical ideas at home.  

That was my goal too when I sent my oldest to public school. Sadly, they were too beat every night to give me any of their brain cells.  I classical homeschool my other kids (more or less) and it's just beautiful! Best of luck.

Edited by Meadowlark

We only afterschool math.  Started the 8th grader when he was  in the 3rd grade. I suggest that you start off with an online self pacing class. Do it year round.. Maybe, 3 40 minute sessions per week.  3,4,and 5th grade math  is very overlappiing.  All of the young kids that I've worked with have been able to  complete 2 or 3 grade levels within a year.  The goal is to get the kid at least one full grade level ahead in math.  When the kid is that far ahead in what is typically the hardest subject, school is quite manageable. 

• Like 1