Menu

Second instrument...child's choice? Guitar book recommendations?

Sarah0000

My 7yo has done one year of Suzuki violin and one year (separate years) of traditional piano with instructors. We practice both at home but are much more consistent with piano. Piano, reading music, and theory are long term requirements however we've been doing well with switching focus sometimes for fun. DS recently switched focus back to violin but he's been asking about guitar.

Do you let your 7yo choose his own instrument? I don't mind investing the time or money but I would then insist he dedicate a certain amount of time, maybe at least a year or two. Thoughts?

Also, recommendations for guitar programs for kids?

We are using Guitar for the Small Fry. There are three books in the series, and we are on the second one now. My ds12 is learning on his own with some help from me, and I don't know how to play guitar, but I can play some piano. Ds also takes piano lessons with a teacher. 

I have a teenager teaching herself with the Great Courses guitar course. I have watched a few of the videos with her and he seems to be an excellent teacher. I think a parent could help a younger child work through the program.

But, to answer your question, no, in your situation I wouldn't let a child switch. 1 yr of violin and 1 yr of piano means that they haven't stuck with either long enough to get beyond the frustrating very beginner stage. I would be concerned that the motivation for changing is bc they aren't producing the music they want to be able play vs really wanting to add an additional instrument.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

I have a teenager teaching herself with the Great Courses guitar course. I have watched a few of the videos with her and he seems to be an excellent teacher. I think a parent could help a younger child work through the program.

But, to answer your question, no, in your situation I wouldn't let a child switch. 1 yr of violin and 1 yr of piano means that they haven't stuck with either long enough to get beyond the frustrating very beginner stage. I would be concerned that the motivation for changing is bc they aren't producing the music they want to be able play vs really wanting to add an additional instrument.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about. I failed to mention that he studied piano with me a couple years before with the teacher. He can play very simple songs slowly. It would be just the second instrument he would be switching.

I would not let a 7yo switch.  Particularly one that's already done two instuments short-term. 

I have let two children switch/add an instrument so I don't always think it's a bad idea.  But in both cases they were over 9yo, and had completed 2+ years of piano (mastering basic music reading and quite a bit of theory).

The first added guitar.  My requirement was that he commit to practice both 6/7 days.  This is a huge commitment but reality is anything less than 5-6 days a week will never result in mastery.  He has been doing so for just short of a year.  I do not think guitar is a good starter instrument, as he uses his knowledge of chords pretty often.  Another thing to note is that he's 11, and still struggles a bit with the size of the instrument.  So a 7yo would definitely need a children's size guitar.

My other did quit piano all together.  To be frank he has the thickest, shortest fingers imaginable and always struggled with his finger span and dexterity.  He was a committed practicer for two years but was more and more often needing "cheats" for chords he just couldn't play.  It was frusterating.  He recently asked to quit and join our local homeschool orchestra and I allowed it.  He's beginning trombone.

Edited by Coco_Clark