Menu

Thoughts on WriteShop?

tdbates78

So I made a big purchase on Rainbow Resources last week for our upcoming school year, and after much thought I chose WriteShop Junior Book D for our writing. It sounded great at the time. Now here I am, holding the Teachers Guide, and I feel the anxiety start to build and I haven't even gotten past the "required materials" section yet. I cannot believe how much stuff is needed for a writing curriculum. Now granted most of the stuff I probably already have on hand but still.... 

I have reluctant writers who will be going into 4th grade. We are currently doing WWE 2 and it gets it done but I'm looking for writing experience that isn't so scripted. From what I'm seeing I do like the overall concept of WriteShop. I think maybe my DDs could think it's fun. But we haven't had much success with curriculum with lots of moving parts (ahem AAS) in the past so I'm not sure. 

Can anyone give me their honest thoughts on the curriculum? Did it work/not work? Did it take a lot of effort each day to prepare for the lessons and get it done?

I've used WriteShop and my son loved it.  I'm not sure what you mean by required materials, though.  Did you buy the package of stuff that is pre-done for you?  It may be called an activity pack?  I don't remember. 

I do think WS is teacher intensive in that I did need to prep materials, cut stuff out, etc., but my son looked forward to writing time.  He enjoyed "publishing" his stories at the end of each unit.  We had fun with editing and rewriting. 

I spent a few hours before the school year started putting together the grammar folders.  Those were easy to do, and then they were ready for the year.  Other than that, I could go by the seat of my pants each day if I needed to, but I'd usually spend a few minutes each weekend cutting out the activity stuff. 

It was a good writing year for us!

• Like 1