Menu

What's with the ads?

mommyoffive

~~April Frugalistas~~

Dh just called to let me know he got his bonus.  It was a lot more than we were hoping for.   So proud of him. 

• Like 3

Isn't this life?  Yesterday dh got a great bonus.  Today he got into a car accident.   It wasn't his fault and he is fine.   But such is life. 

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Isn't this life?  Yesterday dh got a great bonus.  Today he got into a car accident.   It wasn't his fault and he is fine.   But such is life. 

Yay for the bonus, boo for the car accident.  Glad he's okay.  How's the car?

This month hasn't been very frugal, and I go through these weird phases of not being content when expenses are higher.  I think I finally got hit with February burnout, just a couple months late.  We'll see how I feel after vacation and curriculum expenses are out of the way.

15 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

Yay for the bonus, boo for the car accident.  Glad he's okay.  How's the car?

This month hasn't been very frugal, and I go through these weird phases of not being content when expenses are higher.  I think I finally got hit with February burnout, just a couple months late.  We'll see how I feel after vacation and curriculum expenses are out of the way.

He is fine and the car isn't that bad.   Just dealing with the hassle of getting it fixed. 

So sorry about the car accident, @mommyoffive!  We've had similar months of cash in being immediately cash out.  It sucks.  Dh's car is going into the shop this week because of a hit and run that tried to take off the side mirror.  No other damage, but that is enough to grate on the nerves.

How's everyone else doing?  It's the end of the month!  For us:
-we are nearing the end of our savings goal for our emergency fund and starting to plan for Disneyworld. 🙂  I bought a paper planner this weekend and dh and I are pulling up my old computer to run numbers this week.  On our last trip I marked down EVERYTHING in a spreadsheet: hotel per night, tickets, each meal..mostly because we wanted to see if the dining plan was worth it (for us, it was not).  We'll use those numbers to compare with current costs and our proposed budget.  
-we celebrated Easter this weekend and for the first time the 9yo got an actual Easter basket because I found one on clearance for $1.19. He was slightly amused by the bath egg that clearly had snow on the box because I picked it up during the after Christmas clearance. 
-My plants are thriving, but dh and I spent $40 on fencing to keep the critters out of my garden.  Whether it will be wise investment or merely a speedbump, we'll see.

-I ordered some of ds's schoolbooks on Thriftbooks and paid less for 4 than I would have new for 1, and two of those were hard to find editions.

May is around the corner!  I need to get our beach sticker, renew our dump pass, and buy birthday presents for ds's friends who will be marking theirs this month.  Ds9 will probably need new sandals, too.  We'll find out any specific requirements for camp at the open house they'll hold in the middle of the month.  I think we're covered there, but just in case.

• Like 1

Dd got hurt today. It was sorta my fault bit an accident. She got her thumb squeezed in the door jamb (hinge side). As soon as I realized it I pulled the door open but it looked really bad. I took her to a clinic and they did an x-ray. Does not appear to be broken. That was $100 unless there are more fees coming. I misplaced a receipt to lift the freeze on my flex spending plan but should get that resolved this week so that $100 won’t ultimately come out of pocket. Dh doesn’t have a bill yet from his clinic visit. He asked if he owed anything at the counter. 

I have a new job prospect. I have an interview Thursday at a Catholic school in a marketing role (my degree is in advertising). Dh agreed that if I got the job and it paid enough we would move closer to the city. The job is in a big city and Dh can technically transfer to another campus in just under a yr when one of the employees plans to retire from a campus closer to our shopping, doctors, etc. IF I got the job I guess we’d consider putting dd in the school PreK but it would be $$$ (when taking into account a potential employee discount). And I’d put ds in a public school (there’s no public PreK there). These are all just hypothetical things. Dh urges me to shop at Ross tonight to look for new interview clothes. I hate shipping for clothes theses days but I’ll try. We had two separate cars so he took the kids home when we left the clinic.

I’m Catholic and have ties to some of the sister churches so I hope that helps my odds. I’m currently employed by one (the part time tutoring). 

• Like 1

Good luck Heart on the interview!

Dh got paid out his bonus.  Nice way to end the month.   I wonder how that will change our tax refund next year.  

We need to figure out what to do with the money.  

Nothing else going on.  

• Like 1

We didn't do too bad on groceries for April (just above $500 for the month), but every other category was a huge dumpster fire.  The bright side is that I won't get thrown out of Universal Studios for walking around naked because I'm now the proud owner of more than three days worth of summer clothes.  A win for common decency at the expense of minimalism.

A few frugal things to end the month:
- I have a gift card for a restaurant that we can actually eat at on vacation, which also gives you a free meal for your birthday month.  Since my birthday is coming up, we shouldn't have to pay much more than the tip for that meal.
- FIL works for a shoe company and is able to buy returns and samples for $1/pair a couple times a year for all the grandkids and sometimes the adults.  We are drowning in sneakers, but this time he was able to find some specific things we needed, like slide sandals and dress shoes.  It looks like we spend a fortune on fancy-pants shoes for our kids, but other than cleats I haven't bought shoes for the kids in years.
- It looks like we are going to go at least an entire MONTH without using the heat or air conditioning.  That's unheard of around here, usually it's heat AND air conditioning for a couple weeks until it becomes all one or the other.  Because of Budget Billing, I won't see how that affects the bill until the end of the year, but it should help eventually.
- Trying to eat all the food in the house before vacation is giving me a lot of clarity on what things I'm buying at the grocery store that I could probably eliminate or cut back on.  I think I was getting frustrated with cooking for picky/limited-diet eaters and the experimental cooking was getting a bit out of hand.  We used up so many things that a) I have no idea why we had in the first place, and therefore b) will not be replaced in the pantry/fridge.  Chipotles in adobo sauce, a whole bag of lemons... I have GERD, what was I thinking?!?

13 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Dd got hurt today. It was sorta my fault bit an accident. She got her thumb squeezed in the door jamb (hinge side). As soon as I realized it I pulled the door open but it looked really bad. I took her to a clinic and they did an x-ray. Does not appear to be broken. That was $100 unless there are more fees coming. I misplaced a receipt to lift the freeze on my flex spending plan but should get that resolved this week so that $100 won’t ultimately come out of pocket. Dh doesn’t have a bill yet from his clinic visit. He asked if he owed anything at the counter.

Oops!  I know I've done that to at least one kid, maybe all three of them.  The other day I thought I broke DS5's hand while I was cleaning stuff out of the van.  He was running in between the car and the van in the garage (tight squeeze, not even a door's width of room between them), I couldn't see him from the driver's seat, and he ended up smashed between the two doors when I tried to get out.  I felt so bad!  After an ice pack, extra Easter candy, and some Minecraft videos he seemed much better and could bend all of his fingers without pain.  Crisis and urgent care averted.  Could have been worse!

Hope the interview goes well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, BarbecueMom said:

We didn't do too bad on groceries for April (just above $500 for the month), but every other category was a huge dumpster fire.  The bright side is that I won't get thrown out of Universal Studios for walking around naked because I'm now the proud owner of more than three days worth of summer clothes.  A win for common decency at the expense of minimalism.

A few frugal things to end the month:
- I have a gift card for a restaurant that we can actually eat at on vacation, which also gives you a free meal for your birthday month.  Since my birthday is coming up, we shouldn't have to pay much more than the tip for that meal.
- FIL works for a shoe company and is able to buy returns and samples for $1/pair a couple times a year for all the grandkids and sometimes the adults.  We are drowning in sneakers, but this time he was able to find some specific things we needed, like slide sandals and dress shoes.  It looks like we spend a fortune on fancy-pants shoes for our kids, but other than cleats I haven't bought shoes for the kids in years.
- It looks like we are going to go at least an entire MONTH without using the heat or air conditioning.  That's unheard of around here, usually it's heat AND air conditioning for a couple weeks until it becomes all one or the other.  Because of Budget Billing, I won't see how that affects the bill until the end of the year, but it should help eventually.
- Trying to eat all the food in the house before vacation is giving me a lot of clarity on what things I'm buying at the grocery store that I could probably eliminate or cut back on.  I think I was getting frustrated with cooking for picky/limited-diet eaters and the experimental cooking was getting a bit out of hand.  We used up so many things that a) I have no idea why we had in the first place, and therefore b) will not be replaced in the pantry/fridge.  Chipotles in adobo sauce, a whole bag of lemons... I have GERD, what was I thinking?!?

Oops!  I know I've done that to at least one kid, maybe all three of them.  The other day I thought I broke DS5's hand while I was cleaning stuff out of the van.  He was running in between the car and the van in the garage (tight squeeze, not even a door's width of room between them), I couldn't see him from the driver's seat, and he ended up smashed between the two doors when I tried to get out.  I felt so bad!  After an ice pack, extra Easter candy, and some Minecraft videos he seemed much better and could bend all of his fingers without pain.  Crisis and urgent care averted.  Could have been worse!

Hope the interview goes well!

What place gives a free meal on your birthday?

Awesome deal on the shoes.  What a savings.  

So jealous of you not using heat or ac.   I am so tired of our spring right now.  It is May 1st and we still have the heat on.  We had snow over the weekend.   I want the 70s now. 

What a smart thing to look at what your buying. 

Have fun on vacation.

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

What place gives a free meal on your birthday?

Red Robin.  They also have GF buns and fryers (no problems there yet), and the kids stay full on the refills of fries and macaroni and cheese.  And they love those dang balloons that always end up popped on the way home.  But we have to save the plastic balloon sticks because craft weapons projects... apparently...

ETA: Generally we never go out to eat, but my mom likes for us all to go there on her birthday, which is what made me remember the birthday burger thing.

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, BarbecueMom said:

Red Robin.  They also have GF buns and fryers (no problems there yet), and the kids stay full on the refills of fries and macaroni and cheese.  And they love those dang balloons that always end up popped on the way home.  But we have to save the plastic balloon sticks because craft weapons projects... apparently...

I wish I would have known that last month.  

Here are a bunch of other freebies.  I should use this for the kids.   No more $ for a birthday treat. 

https://www.retailmenot.com/blog/birthday-freebies.html

I need to remember that. 

Edited by mommyoffive

@BarbecueMom So is the no heat/ac thing bearable? 

That discount on shoes is amazing! 

@mommyoffive yay on the bonus! 

My interview was Thurs. morning. I think it went mostly well. I was interviewed by the school principal and a woman that I’d work closely with. I liked her a lot and think we’d work well together. The principal was very distracted (her smart watch kept getting notifications) and the priest came in to borrow her so it was kind of a weird interview for me. On the plus side, when he introduced himself I said I’d seen him before at Mass when he subbed at another local parish and noted he cracked jokes about some of “his” parishioners being there. He remembered and laughed. 

I worried I bored the principal with long-winded answers at times but a couple times they said they really liked my responses so maybe it all evened out. 

Thry asked for my references and said they had more interviews so I won’t hear back for about two weeks. I prayed about it and will leave it up to God. I brought samples of my budgeting for events (laid out pics with captions) to show them I can be creative on a budget and I got Dh to have a student worker print me a 3D model of their school mascot (I picked it out and sent the link) so I left that with them at the end of my interview. I did *not* ask any questions about salary, tuition discounts, etc as Dh worries that is frowned upon in conservative South. I did that at my last interview and I don’t think I was out of line but they left my hanging and now I see on their website they are looking for an ESL Director which may explain why I never got an answer about the ESL tutoring role. At any rate, the principal volunteered all the info and it sounded pretty good. Salary and 40% off tuition. See though, I don’t know if I’d get 40% off larger figure or Catholic rate figure. They don’t call it Catholic rate, lol, I’m just calling it that. They call it “substantial contributor” to one of their parishes. But how do they define that? Is it based on donations, volunteer work, ? I have definitely been involved in the churches but not really financially. We don’t do church envelopes and we’re registered at a non sister parish in our county. So I don’t know who to ask... but most parish offices here are closed on Fridays. Maybe the woman that does my payroll can give me some insight. Employees also get free afterschool care and free summer camps at the school. Part of my job would be recruitment and giving school tours so you know I’d really need to send my kids there. Ds would age our if the school after a year and then probably switch to public (we’d move to a good school district zone). School there starts at PreK and goes to sixth. 

• Like 1

Ds couldn’t get his tooth out naturally on his own before his cleaning this week, but the dentist and hygienist were able to remove 3 loose teeth without any meds/extra fees (yay). The receptionists said that those are worth more to the tooth fairy lol (thanks for putting us on the spot). He has a couple more to try to get out in the next few months but they got the most important one I think. 

Ds has been referred for APD testing but we close a cheaper clinic to cut down costs. That will be put on the flex spending plan and cost $300 rather than $700+. It will require a bit of a drive but heck maybe we can just turn it into a trip to family. Not sure yet. 

On 5/1/2019 at 7:13 AM, BarbecueMom said:

The bright side is that I won't get thrown out of Universal Studios for walking around naked because I'm now the proud owner of more than three days worth of summer clothes.  A win for common decency at the expense of minimalism.

😂

Just added up all the newish medical bills. I have to call tomorrow to find out the balance on our flex spending plan. Hope there’s enough to cover it (~$1600). Then there will be my upcoming psychiatrist visit this month which is ~$100 and the APD test this summer for ds.

Originally I was going to try to get dd swim lessons this summer but now I’m thinking we may postpone. The country club said they will only do the classes for members (we knew a family that wasn’t members but paid for lessons so I think this rule is newer). Lessons elsewhere are further away. I’ve volunteered to help with VBS one week this summer so that’ll eat into gas money but also give the kids something. Ds aged out of VBS but this parish has something else for his age at the same time. 

A friend offered to show me her dashboard etc for VIPKID. I’m considering it only because they lifted the min hours thing. I could maybe figure out a way to get some classes. Dh offered to take the kids out (Friday or Sat night) so I could have the quiet but if he goes out to eat, movies etc that defeats the purpose lol I’d only be working for their outing. Maybe he could hang out with the kids in his building after hours (watch a movie there). Just an idea. 

We've spent a lot this month. I need to figure out how to get some money. My ibotta offers have been terrible lately so I’m not really earning there. I haven’t done much at all with swagbucks. I’m using ebates more — they renamed. Starts with an R now. I’ve been scanning receipts for Receipt Hog but won’t see a payout for a long time. 

• Like 1

I hadn't  heard about the VIPKID thing.   Thanks for letting me know.  It makes it a lot more doable. 

• Like 1

I couldn’t even get the balance on my own. Apparently only Dh is authorized which confused us so he called for the balance and we’ll have to figure out how to add me. The balance doesn’t cover all the medical 😞 we’ll be ~$580 shy not including the upcoming appointments. 

Our next flex spending cycle starts in Sept. Each time we seem to add more to the plan because we’re always racking up medical bills. This time was mainly because thrown off by dh’s ER visit. And that day he asked if he owed money at the clinic and they said no... I think there must have been a delay because I found a bill in our account. I figured “no” was too good to be true lol 

Dh was going to throw in the towel on teaching classes but said we need the money and plans to teach over summer if I’m not mistaken. This will be the first time they offered him summer classes. Amazingly he got As in his two doctorate program classes this semester. I’m very proud of him for pulling that off with his health issues etc. My tutoring money is very unpredictable based on canceled nights (either my doing or the program’s). Not sure if I’ll be helping with a summer (nights) GED tutoring program yet or not.