Menu

Favorite documentaries or educational movies

I think I am going to add these to our afternoons occasionally. We haven’t really done too much movie watching for school. What are some of your favorite documentaries, tv shows, or movies that could count as “school.” My kids are age 7-12. I could have the 7yr watch something different if some of the suggestions are more for the 10 and up crowd. Thanks!

Oh, so many!   So, for history....

My favorite is Extra Credits History.   Funny but respectful, all but a few of the newer ones (they changed narrator and a couple of those I'm not sure about) I think are fine for those aged kids.  My youngest started these when he was 8, and my oldest (age 16) still likes them, as do I, so they are good for all ages. 

How We Got to Now (TV series) is amazing...charts scientific breakthroughs in different subjects through time, and how they changed the world.

Churchill's Secret Agents (on Netflix) is great but there's one of the later episodes dealing with Nazi torture I would definately not let your 7 year old watch.  

Susan Euler has some great art and history stuff (very kid friendly):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdH11gagqI9pys9IPEfnbJg

TICE Art (art history, in animated form)

TedEd for science, history, culture, etc...

https://ed.ted.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the 7 yo, see if the Popular Mechanics for Kids videos are a good fit. Ds watched them a ton when he was younger. Now he tends to watch these bizarre science shows where they show how/why things work, whether crazy stunts from youtube are real, etc. I think if you find the station you like, then you can see what you can stream from them and have a limitless supply. 

For your older boys (and the 7 yo tag along) all your old westerns around historical themes will be appropriate. How the West was Won, Northwest Passage with Spencer Tracy, Unsinkable Brown (ok, that's not a western, lol). There are plenty about the alamo, etc., great stuff. 

There are a number of sports-themed movies that are inspirational. Denzel Washington has been in several. Remember the Titans. There's another, more intense, about scuba diving. Men of Honor. That movie is AWESOME. If you find them on amazon, you'll be able to rabbit trail and find more in that vein.

You can read short retellings of opera or Shakespeare or Gilbert & Sullivan and then watch them. The Ambrose shakespeare productions are excellent. We used the Fiery retellings of opera and then dd would youtube them. For the G&S, we had a book and then went to live productions, though you can find dvds, sure.

We really like travel videos. Burt Wolf has a series we enjoyed. 

You can do art videos, but that nun chick is way into s*x and nudity and whatever for us. I'm not sure we actually followed through and watched them. 

• Like 2