Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
eehartlo

Remedial Spelling?

I am starting to put together a partial curriculum for D12 at her request. I hs'd when she was younger, but she has been at private/public school for the past 4 1/2 years. One of the subjects she is asking to do is spelling - she is horrible at it. She reads a lot, but it's almost exclusively audiobooks (she has a hard time focusing on printed words, even if she enjoys what she's reading). I don't know what spelling programs are out there for older children. When she was in 2nd grade, I used Sequential Spelling, but she started private school in 3rd grade, and we didn't continue. DD feels that the memorizing lists of words method (what the school did) wasn't helpful in the least. She is very much a pattern and logic person, and needs to see a connection between what she is learning, and why.

It is spendy, but I totally love All About Spelling.  Systematic, mastery-based, and one learns so much about the patterns in the language.  She'd probably move very quickly through the lower levels but there is no hurry, and if she has a hard time focusing on printed words then she might benefit from the movable tiles which add a nice tactile element to study. 

I linked the company's site; when I purchase the materials, I like to go through Rainbow Resource 'cause they are lovely people and shipping is free for orders over $50.  Here's Rainbow Resource's All About Spelling page, which also has a little video about the program. 

Thank you both for your responses! I am going to start with Apples Daily Spelling Drill and see how that works.

Now to start researching math programs!

• Like 1