Menu

WTMA French?

My daughter has had Erica Schauer for French I and French 2.  I'd love to hear thoughts / experiences / lessons learned from anyone who has taken French 3, since my daughter will be taking it next year.  Unfortunately, although I can answer questions about French 1 or 2, I can't share anything from French 3 since my DD hasn't had it yet.  I do know that my DD told me that Dr. S mentioned in class that her fave class to teach was French 2 - that French 3 seemed much harder for the kids to "get."   I plan to email Dr. Schauer and ask her if she has any thoughts about what my DD can do to prepare for or what she should review to help her with French 3.  Again, I'd also greatly appreciate anyone willing to share his/her experience with this course..

32 minutes ago, Haelend4 said:

My daughter has had Erica Schauer for French I and French 2.  I'd love to hear thoughts / experiences / lessons learned from anyone who has taken French 3, since my daughter will be taking it next year.  Unfortunately, although I can answer questions about French 1 or 2, I can't share anything from French 3 since my DD hasn't had it yet.  I do know that my DD told me that Dr. S mentioned in class that her fave class to teach was French 2 - that French 3 seemed much harder for the kids to "get."   I plan to email Dr. Schauer and ask her if she has any thoughts about what my DD can do to prepare for or what she should review to help her with French 3.  Again, I'd also greatly appreciate anyone willing to share his/her experience with this course..

I would love to know what your DD thought about the teaching and her teaching style.

Just bumping this thread because we would really like to land on something for French 3 and 4. ETA. I would also like to whine if I may. Why are the teachers who are native speakers always seem so disorganized? We've done enough with native speakers that we really notice the difference, but I will lose my mind if I try to make these resources work for two more years. That is all.

Edited by MamaSprout

48 minutes ago, yvonne said:

Wilson Hill plans to add French 1 & 2 this coming year. Instructor is TBD, but I am hoping, hoping, hoping it will be a native speaker that I know! 🙂

I am so glad you saw the post. I have meant to ask you about AP French at TPS (for a different kid). I vaguely remember you had experience with it, and ever since the board change, I still can’t locate old posts. I wonder if TPS AP class prepares well for the exam. 

I'm afraid I can't help with the question of how well TPS French prepares for the AP exam..... My sons ended up not taking the AP French exam. I'm not sure why. The exam date might have conflicted with the national debate tournament that year?  They did a lot of reading of French lit with a tutor we like. I think we might have opted to do more lit reading than to spend the time prepping for the AP exam with its various, specific strands. Had enough hoop-jumping in other subjects. 🙂

I do know that the content of the TPS AP French class has been significantly modified since my boys took it, so I'd love to hear from anyone who has taken it within the last 3-4 years!

Edited by yvonne
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, MamaSprout said:

Just bumping this thread because we would really like to land on something for French 3 and 4. ETA. I would also like to whine if I may. Why are the teachers who are native speakers always seem so disorganized? We've done enough with native speakers that we really notice the difference, but I will lose my mind if I try to make these resources work for two more years. That is all.

Maybe you’ve had bad luck. My son’s native speaker online tutor is ridiculously organized. Very set in her ways, yes. But I don’t quibble with her ways anymore because she really knows what she’s doing... perhaps she would be different in a classroom environment but I doubt it

• Like 1

We have had very good luck with Sally Barstow at AIM academy. DD16 is in French 4/5 and has enjoyed class and found homework to be meaningful, well organized and quickly graded. French 4/5 is all students that have graduated French 3 and because there are only a few, the teacher works with them at their levels. It is not an AP class though the teacher is aiming to get them ready for French Subject SAT at some point. The other thing that really helped DD is a French Immersion Saturday school in our area since we are not a french speaking family. Highly recommend something like that for exposure to native speakers and speaking practice. HTH. Ann. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 3:52 PM, aaghomeschool said:

We have had very good luck with Sally Barstow at AIM academy. DD16 is in French 4/5 and has enjoyed class and found homework to be meaningful, well organized and quickly graded. French 4/5 is all students that have graduated French 3 and because there are only a few, the teacher works with them at their levels. It is not an AP class though the teacher is aiming to get them ready for French Subject SAT at some point. The other thing that really helped DD is a French Immersion Saturday school in our area since we are not a french speaking family. Highly recommend something like that for exposure to native speakers and speaking practice. HTH. Ann. 

I would love to hear more about French 4/5.

what sort of materials does she assign? There is no textbook for that course as I see. How much grammar/literature is covered, or generally really any detail will be very helpful.

when you say she preps then for SAT, does she actually bring test prep into the class or does the course supposed to be covering material that is generally tested? 

I am looking at the website and it is just not very clear to me what that course covers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

She told us she had no spots 😞

which materials does she use with your DD? 

I'm not involved at all in that I don't sit by to watch nor do I ask what's covered, and it's actually a very relaxed hour for Dd, conversation about life, grammar review. I did have to buy an SAT book and a couple of French fictional books (easy ones). I requested that it not be too intensive because DD has other languages. And my goal for French isn't taking the AP test. 

We may not be able to continue with her during week/day hours due to a schedule change, and I'll let her know you are interested, if you still are after the summer. I think Yvonne's kids are more ambitious with French, so she probably requested more intensive homework than I. I've been trying to get Russian homework reduced too.

• Thanks 1

On 4/20/2019 at 12:38 PM, Roadrunner said:

I would love to hear more about French 4/5.

what sort of materials does she assign? There is no textbook for that course as I see. How much grammar/literature is covered, or generally really any detail will be very helpful.

when you say she preps then for SAT, does she actually bring test prep into the class or does the course supposed to be covering material that is generally tested? 

I am looking at the website and it is just not very clear to me what that course covers.

Hi. I have absolutely no idea about what level of grammar Sally Barstow teaches because I do not know any French at all. DD does this one all by herself. I will ask her to draft a message once she gets her head out of her AP prep book :-). We have not used the SAT book this year though Sally told us she was planning on that next year (2019-2020) for this class. The website may not have much written because there are seven students in class and she caters a lot to their individual levels. Sally would be a great person to ask. She is very receptive with questions and giving information. Sadly, she did just lose her father last week so she may be busy with family committments right now just when you have to decide on next years classes. Regards. 

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
37 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I think I misplaced my kid. It’s been effortless. The teacher is great. Work isn’t overwhelming in any way, but again my kid hasn’t learned much new and it’s mostly my fault. 

What did you do/ what would you do differently? PM is fine. I'll just follow you around and do everything you did this year for next year. 😁