Menu

What's with the ads?

SanDiegoMom in VA

AP Comp Sci Principles hoops to jump through...

This is just to help future students avoid frustration in registering for the AP Comp Sci Principles exam.  This is my son's first exam as a homeschooler, and the Digital Submission added an extra layer of difficulty.

First my son created a college board account.  I registered him last fall for the exam at the school, and luckily established contact with the teacher who teaches it IN the school, but that was all I did until today. Today I contacted the teacher with a hey, is there anything else I should be doing question, and he told me to have my son create a digital portfolio account to submit his two tasks. This is where it got dicey.  It wouldn't let me update or even enter the digital portfolio account until I had him signed up under a school name. Firs phone call with College Board and I did get the State's Homeschool code so that I could log into the digital portfolio account. Even though the whole time the person was convinced he was doing studio art, but whatever. 

Then it requires you to be enrolled in a class. But there are no classes for "Virginia State Homeschool".  Second phone call and they told me I would need to have him submit with the class he is taking the exam with.  So I was able to write the teacher and get the join code for his class and now he's able to submit his work. Almost. Because he still needs his AP student number that is in his AP student pack? Which of course we don't have... So I contacted the school and am waiting to hear back about THAT one. The deadline is May 2, but I am glad I started the process early!

So just be aware of the extra hoops for classes with a digital submission, and have a good relationship with the local school where your kid is taking his/her exam! 

• Like 2

Thank you for this. I have been completely assuming my son's AP teacher at PA Homeschoolers will have walked them through this but I guess I better double check.

1 hour ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

Because he still needs his AP student number that is in his AP student pack? Which of course we don't have... So I contacted the school and am waiting to hear back about THAT one. 

Ask if the school host a preadministration session. Your son would get his AP student pack in that session.

“Having students complete identification information ahead of time in a preadministration session can save 30 minutes or more on exam day.” https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/ap-coordinators/preparing-exam-day/preadministration

1 hour ago, Pink and Green Mom said:

Thank you for this. I have been completely assuming my son's AP teacher at PA Homeschoolers will have walked them through this but I guess I better double check.

And you probably won't have any issues since PA Homeschoolers will have their school number, so all the submissions will be under their umbrella. Our issue is that my son is taking a class that does use the AP class materials but isn't an official AP class.  So he's just kind of a free floating student 🙂 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Ask if the school host a preadministration session. Your son would get his AP student pack in that session.

“Having students complete identification information ahead of time in a preadministration session can save 30 minutes or more on exam day.” https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/ap-coordinators/preparing-exam-day/preadministration

Thanks! I will look into that. 

For folks doing AP next year, be aware that there is a completely revised schedule for exam registration that will require fall registration.