Menu

Light at the end of the semester-long tunnel . . .

I have big projects due in both of my classes today that have kept me busy during my non-work hours all week.

One was kind of fun - using Articulate Storyline to convert storyboards my team had created in PowerPoint to a working prototype of our proposed online module. I always love that stuff, and my three-person team for that class is congenial and focused. I submitted our final version on behalf of the team about 30 minutes ago and have already completed and submitted my teamwork evaluation. Yay for us!

The other has been a bit more of a slog - revising and completing the final draft of a mock needs assessment report. There are a lot of spoons in the soup for that one, with each of the seven team members writing a different section of the report. I volunteered to compile the parts and copyedit the whole thing plus write the executive summary. The feedback we got from our professor last week on an earlier draft suggests we were largely on the right track, but I honestly have no real feeling for how we have done. Now that it's deadline day, everyone is bickering about things like the color and font size for headings, and I'm ready to see the back of this one. I've told everyone I'm waiting until 9:00 for any additional feedback or corrections, then doing any necessary final clean-up and emailing the document to the professor.

Fortunately, the semester begins to wind down from here. I have one more team project due in the class with the small, focused, congenial team, followed by my personal end-of-course reflection. In the other class, all I have left is some kind of as-yet-unspecified teamwork evaluation due next week. 

How's everyone else doing as we approach the semester's end?

• Like 2

Sort of coasting until the end.  Both of my classes are pretty reasonable as far as work load is concerned.  Each week, I have a detailed quiz and a 3-minute presentation for one class.  For the other class, we already had the mid-term and we just have a few more quizzes before the final.  The bigger issue was getting my 20 hours of volunteering for the service learning portion completed (and I did!!)  and getting all the pieces to my application to the sonography program done.  I contacted all of my recommenders and they all got theirs in.  However, I just received word that they only have one of the 3.  This department has this nasty habit of losing any documentation that is mailed in.  

I don't think I will be taking any summer classes so I need to find a job for the summer.   Then, if all goes well, I will be registering for the fall.  

• Like 2

April is rough here too. I finished a first draft of a 19 page paper today. I just turned in another 12 page paper that is due tomorrow. I have another 10-12 page draft due next week (unstated) and another 15 page paper after that. I'm also taking "Teaching Writing Online" and I have to design a course module which will take at least as long as any of the papers. Additionally, I have one more presentation to give (15 min) and a Final that requires the memorization of something like 150 terms. Oh, and my standard 800 word blog post and 3 discussion board posts for my online class - 3 more sets of those.

Then there are the classes I teach. My students will turn in their longest paper (8-10 pages) Friday, so I'll have 42 of those to grade. Then they have one more paper after that, but it's only 2-4 pages. They turn in portfolios on the day of the final with revisions of 4 papers (including the long one) in them and I have to grade those. I'll also spend a day grading portfolios for all the basic writing courses - those are graded P/F by a group of 18 grad students (me included) and I understand it takes less than a full day.

Deep breath. Back to work.

• Like 2

I don't feel anywhere close to coasting. Micro- 2 lecture tests and one lab practicum to go- about 50% of my grade. Big genetics and metabolism test this week that I am soooo not prepared for.

Stats- 2 more tests, 4 more problem sets, and  the final- 45% of my grade yet to come.

They sure to throw a lot in the last 6 weeks!

• Like 1

I've got one last paper to finish up with a partner. We've already done the power point presentation to the class as well as the agency we did the program evaluation for. That was the fun part. I just don't have the motivation to sit and write a 20 page technical report that no one will read (besides the prof). It's not due for a couple weeks, though, which makes it even harder to get motivated. 😕

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yay! My report is in the final editing stages and will be complete by Friday!! I also start my new job on Wednesday. I'm taking at least 4 months off university courses, maybe 8 months. I'm not even sure I want or need to finish off the diploma, to be honest. If I really enjoy the work, I may just stay in this area of research (clinical trials).

I really noticed a massive increase in the amount of sitting I was doing while taking my courses. It wasn't a great 8 months for my fitness and weight (which already takes a big hit in the winter months). 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I turned in one paper yesterday. One more and I just finished making the notes on it. I'll whip it up tomorrow and send it in. This one is for dissertation research hours, which is pass/fail. While that takes the pressure off, it sorta takes away the ambition too 🙂

• Like 2

On 4/20/2019 at 3:39 PM, wintermom said:

Yay! My report is in the final editing stages and will be complete by Friday!! I also start my new job on Wednesday. I'm taking at least 4 months off university courses, maybe 8 months. I'm not even sure I want or need to finish off the diploma, to be honest. If I really enjoy the work, I may just stay in this area of research (clinical trials).

I really noticed a massive increase in the amount of sitting I was doing while taking my courses. It wasn't a great 8 months for my fitness and weight (which already takes a big hit in the winter months). 

Do you already have a degree? 

2 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

Do you already have a degree? 

Yes, I have my MA and a couple undergrad degrees from 20+ years ago. That's definitely a factor in deciding whether I "need" to complete this graduate diploma. Also, the area this diploma covers doesn't require one to have a diploma, courses or certification. 

• Like 1

And it's a wrap for me.

I headed out on vacation a week ago with several assignments yet to be graded, which was a little bit frustrating given that I was going on a cruise and would not have access to internet. When I got home today, I was relieved to discover that I had done quite well on all of the projects and maintained my A's in both classes. 

The remaining class I need to complete my graduate cert is not being offered this summer, so I now have a break until late August.

• Like 3