Menu

Athena’s registration is open for fall as well

Dmmetler

• 4 months later...

Athena’s classes start Monday. There are still seats in quite a few, including a few seats in DD’s fall class. There have also been a few schedule changes and new sections opened for a few popular classes. 

• Like 1

Do you think the AP Psychology and English will be appropriate for actual high school students and not just advanced little kids? I was looking at it for my high schoolers but am hesitating because I know Athena’s has a reputation for skewing very young and being a little light and fluffy because of that. 

8 hours ago, Paige said:

Do you think the AP Psychology and English will be appropriate for actual high school students and not just advanced little kids? I was looking at it for my high schoolers but am hesitating because I know Athena’s has a reputation for skewing very young and being a little light and fluffy because of that. 

For the class to be called AP, it has to have had it’s syllabus approved by the College Board as meeting the standards for the course requirements. I’d still expect a number of younger students, but the work should be the right level for AP.

• Like 1

They are true AP classes, and the kids who did English last year did quite well on the exam. I believe most were 14-16 or so,  so not terribly young, either. One of the kids who I know personally did it while also taking college English literature classes and did not find the AP particularly light or easy. The high school, higher level courses at Athena’s are definitely not fluffy-there are a lot of kids there who are like my DD-they grew up there, love the community, and want higher level work and content, so the classes have been created to fit their needs-and the topics are often those not typically taught at the high school level at all. The AP psychology is new this year, but I get the impression that it is at a similar level, and is, again, primarily high school aged students. 

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 2