Menu

What's with the ads?

rawbanana

Best curriculm for 'dumb' teachers? HELP!

I'm really not doubting myself here, I just know my limits! 🙂 I'm graduating my first this spring (YAY!!) and we have used My Father's World the whole time (with Math U See and Apologia for 2 sciences and Friendly Chemistry for our last) and WOW, so much I do not and DID not know how to teach or couldn't explain! History was tough, government was tough (I sheepishly admit I know NOTHING about government, politics etc), Grammar was TOUGH (it was very hard for me to grade stuff when I'm not sure what what is 'right' and 'good' as far as their work)...I would really like to find something for English, History and Government that is super easy to teach and easy to do (BJU for history has been tough-I've let my older 2 girls do almost all the tests open book). Something very straight forward. Both my older girls (12 and 11 th grades) are moving on to our community college (oldest has already been accepted due to her ACT score).  My first puts in the least amount of work and does fine, my 2nd does as MUCH work as she can and stresses herself out, checking and double checking her work. I think she'd be alot more peaceful with a different curriculum but I have NO IDEA WHERE TO START and dont want to spend a pretty penny buying different curriculum 🙂 It may be too late to switch for my 2nd but I have 5 more kiddos after her (next in line is finishing up 9th grade) and I would like to start on a new path if we can....any help???

If your 11th grader is mature, conscientious and good with her work, I would just graduate her now and let her start at the community college as well. Or have her start there as Dual-Enrolled and graduate next year - she sounds ready. There is absolutely no reason to keep her at home, and she can get a ride with your older if they can take some classes at the same time.  

As far as 9th grade and all up-and-comings, you can consider self grading and or/ computer= grading courses...

We have used and had success with:

Monarch -boring and better for subjects other than English and math, but definitely gets the job done and helps so much with accountability, you do have to assign projects and grade projects and essays but it'll even give you reminders in the program

CLE- easy to follow, easy to grade, but content is not easy.  Traditional grammar, writing, math, all with plenty of built in review 

Online courses- I outsource as much as I can. My  son surpassed me in every subject by about 7th grade, and my daughter in math by that age.  She and I have trouble communicating about expectations and so all her stuff is outsourced as well.  SOme classes are more expensive than others, so you have to shop around for what you can afford. I would make a new thread detailing the type of class you want, and what you can afford and see if there are some ideas.

I think our 11th grader MIGHT be ready but she's not even taken her first ACT yet, plus she still has to complete another year of English and history...now I suppose she could just 'dual enroll' those at our community college but I don't know...also, hubby I think might want to let the oldest have this moment as HER moment to be the FIRST to start college, vs having to share it with little sis 🙂
We do have them self grade/check certain things but they cant self check quizzes/test that I give them 1/2 credit back for on wrong answer as they will be seeing the answers 🙂  Also, self checking/grading doesnt help the issue of me not understanding or struggling to teach content (when they self check and dont understand something and come to me with it, I'm lost!)

Thanks for you ideas 🙂

Well, I guess I am on a Khan Academy kick, but I am planning on using it with my dd for AP Government next year.  You can watch the videos with your son and learn alongside of him.  It looks like it is a pretty efficient course. I am very big on efficiency right now.🙂

On 3/30/2019 at 10:55 PM, rawbanana said:

I'm really not doubting myself here, I just know my limits! 🙂 I'm graduating my first this spring (YAY!!) and we have used My Father's World the whole time (with Math U See and Apologia for 2 sciences and Friendly Chemistry for our last) and WOW, so much I do not and DID not know how to teach or couldn't explain! History was tough, government was tough (I sheepishly admit I know NOTHING about government, politics etc), Grammar was TOUGH (it was very hard for me to grade stuff when I'm not sure what what is 'right' and 'good' as far as their work)...I would really like to find something for English, History and Government that is super easy to teach and easy to do (BJU for history has been tough-I've let my older 2 girls do almost all the tests open book). Something very straight forward. Both my older girls (12 and 11 th grades) are moving on to our community college (oldest has already been accepted due to her ACT score).  My first puts in the least amount of work and does fine, my 2nd does as MUCH work as she can and stresses herself out, checking and double checking her work. I think she'd be alot more peaceful with a different curriculum but I have NO IDEA WHERE TO START and dont want to spend a pretty penny buying different curriculum 🙂 It may be too late to switch for my 2nd but I have 5 more kiddos after her (next in line is finishing up 9th grade) and I would like to start on a new path if we can....any help???

17 hours ago, rawbanana said:

I think our 11th grader MIGHT be ready but she's not even taken her first ACT yet, plus she still has to complete another year of English and history...now I suppose she could just 'dual enroll' those at our community college but I don't know...also, hubby I think might want to let the oldest have this moment as HER moment to be the FIRST to start college, vs having to share it with little sis 🙂
We do have them self grade/check certain things but they cant self check quizzes/test that I give them 1/2 credit back for on wrong answer as they will be seeing the answers 🙂  Also, self checking/grading doesnt help the issue of me not understanding or struggling to teach content (when they self check and dont understand something and come to me with it, I'm lost!)

Thanks for you ideas 🙂

First, I think you are being too hard on yourself.  It's ok to homeschool and not have the most rigorous education ever.  High school is hard to maneuver, especially with the first child.  It gets easier because you are gaining experience.

Let the kids take open book tests.  :shrug:  I've done the same.  With science, for instance, we also use Apologia.  I let them take open book/open note tests.  The next year we try to move to just open notes.  The next year we try to move to tests without help.  This gets them through the science and also teaches them how to take good notes.

I would let them self-check certain subjects and forget about earning half credit back.  You only have so much time/energy and I would use that for more important things.  Let them self check anything that is not a skill subject.  Teach your kids how to find out the information they need.  Let them learn how to learn.

The skill subjects (math, English, some sciences) are where you should be spending your time.

I would absolutely invest in a good math program that works for you.  Find something that has a rigor that you are comfortable with and that has the aids (video instruction, for example) that you need.  You may need to brush up on your own math skills by working the lessons ahead of your children.

For language, you will need to decide what you want to teach and how you're going to teach it.  Grammar in high school is not necessary.  I would focus on literature and writing.  Spend some time researching programs that are available or just assign your own literature and writing assignments.  There are quite a few threads here on the topics of literature and writing (or you could start your own).

Homeschooling high school will get easier.  You will gain confidence!  If you don't homeschool year-round, I would use the summer to come up with a plan for high school.  Figure out what actually needs to be taught and what can be learned independently and then evaluate if you need different curricula to meet those needs.

Best wishes to you!

Edited by Junie
  • Like 1