Menu

Hiring moving helpers questions

MrsRobinson

We are hiring load/unload moving helpers and renting a moving truck for them to use (dh will drive it) separately. 

The website gave us a total price for the hourly rate of hiring 2 guys for the amount of hours we'll need them. So for gratuity, do I figure 15-20% of the total price, divide that in half and give them each their half? I read somewhere to give the full gratuity to the person in charge but I don't think that one of the guys will necessarily be more in charge in this situation. What have you all done in the past?

And, do I need to plan to have water and snacks to offer them or are they expected to bring their own? 

Can you tell we are not pros at moving? Lol 🤣

We usually tip movers, but not everyone does. I think 20% of the bill is too much (depending on the costs). We tipped about $20 per person, I think, after a full-day's work that included loading, driving, and unloading. We had three people, I think, so the total tip was about $60. I think DH gave the tip to each individual once and to the team leader once.

I have provided drinks in a cooler (bottles of water and Gatorade) and sometimes donuts and sometimes lunch. But the movers will have their own water. I don't think you have to provide anything other than a bathroom they can use. But I'm sure they think it's nice when people provide more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1