Menu

Act prep online class and how to study for it on your own

ACT has a tie-in with Kaplan.  Last year my DD used their course that has both videos to watch online and also LIVE sessions with an instructor, where the students can ask the instructor questions. Last year It was $100 USD for (I think) 6 weeks, but now I believe the same price covers 6 months.  My DD found that more helpful than Khan Academy, which is free and she used for the SAT.

How to study successfully on your own:

Under timed conditions as close to test circumstances as possible, take one of the released ACT exams.
Go over every single question - even the ones you got right - to see why it was correct.
Study concepts that you missed, do practice problems (with a published ACT prep book - of which there are many & the Hive has suggested several in the past).
Then, repeat this three step process. Focus on getting faster and more accurate.

Alternately, go through a focused prep book (or three) first, then do the above list. There are at least five released ACTs available for free on the internet. The Red ACT book has four tests plus online content. Plenty of practice there to get started.

• Like 3

On 3/30/2019 at 1:09 PM, RootAnn said:

How to study successfully on your own:

Under timed conditions as close to test circumstances as possible, take one of the released ACT exams.
Go over every single question - even the ones you got right - to see why it was correct.
Study concepts that you missed, do practice problems (with a published ACT prep book - of which there are many & the Hive has suggested several in the past).
Then, repeat this three step process. Focus on getting faster and more accurate.

Alternately, go through a focused prep book (or three) first, then do the above list. There are at least five released ACTs available for free on the internet. The Red ACT book has four tests plus online content. Plenty of practice there to get started.

My son used the Red ACT book.  I had him do a section one day and then we’d go over his answers the next day and try and understand why he missed the ones he got wrong.  Then, he’d do another section the next day.  My book is a bit older and had 5 or 6 exams. For the first exam or two, I didn’t time him.  After that, we started paying attention to the time.  I had him do one full exam straight through a week before the exam.

I never thought to go through the answers he got right.  That’s a good tip to keep in mind.

There are a series of YouTube videos to help with the science section of the ACT. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Mom0012 said:

I never thought to go through the answers he got right.  That’s a good tip to keep in mind.

In case people are wondering, the reason to do even the ones they got right is in case they guessed (correctly) or if they chose that answer for the wrong reason (and thus could miss a similar problem another time). It also helps with speed if they know immediayely what to look for on problens of that type in the future. With the ACT, speed is important.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, RootAnn said:

In case people are wondering, the reason to do even the ones they got right is in case they guessed (correctly) or if they chose that answer for the wrong reason (and thus could miss a similar problem another time). It also helps with speed if they know immediayely what to look for on problens of that type in the future. With the ACT, speed is important.

This is such great advice. It is hard for a student to be motivated to go over the correct ones but it is such a good tip that I never thought of until I saw it recommended somewhere. Just this past weekend my ds was using this approach and mentioned ones he discovered he luckily got correct even though he had the wrong reasoning and he saw faster ways to do some math problems he had gotten correct but spent far too much time on.

(He also caught one that I had marked correct but actually was wrong so he got to review that one too 🙂)

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 10:16 AM, Lanny said:

ACT has a tie-in with Kaplan.  Last year my DD used their course that has both videos to watch online and also LIVE sessions with an instructor, where the students can ask the instructor questions. Last year It was $100 USD for (I think) 6 weeks, but now I believe the same price covers 6 months.  My DD found that more helpful than Khan Academy, which is free and she used for the SAT.

Can you please link the website for the ACT course you mentioned? Thanks!