Menu

Who's going to tackle Saturday with me?

Jean in Newcastle

All that stuff I haven’t done all week because dh has been off and I’ve been discombobulated?  Yep. On the agenda for today. 😑

So:

walk

coffee/reading/praying  

grocey pickup/return library books/drop dh to pick up van

kitchen day: make meatballs for freezer; oven chicken fajitas prepped; rice in instant pot; baked oatmeal (in progress)

prep school stuff: MUST GRADE SPANISH; look at what dd13 has left to accomplish in history; prep boys’ math; formulate plan for ds8’s writing; look at dd14’s literature 

catch up on reading dd14’s and dd13’s school novels (finished dd13’s novel)

co op prep:  two more weeks to sketch out!

CC class: come up with poetry journal assignment 

visit parents?

think about ds5’s birthday on Tuesday and look for bicycle 

order boys’ comforters online

collapse

Edited by hopeistheword
  • Like 6

Good morning!

It's drizzly and gray here this morning. Ds20 is coming down for his usual Saturday morning visit (I like to think he comes home to see us, but it's mostly because he misses his dog, his horses, and the car that he's rebuilding in our garage 😉). Nothing much else going on - hoping to be pretty lazy today...

• get coffee brewing
  • work with horses
  • order a bitless bridle for one horse
  • *absolutely must remember to have ds20 take envelope with concert tickets back up to school for ds18*
  • a little bit of kitchen work - roast beets and baby turnips, cut up spring onions and radishes for dh (got some black radishes at Natural Grocers and am interested to try them)
  • look around on Etsy for some little things for the kids' Easter baskets
  • read
  • dinner: veggie burgers and Italian pasta salad
  • sauna and watch a movie tonight
  • Like 6

Good morning! 

Quiet here because my ds is at my mom's. I'm enjoying some early morning time to think. Reflecting on some of the things Angelina Stanford said in her talk yesterday. 

To do:

• Give dh peace and quiet to do our taxes! Well, that didn't work! He did get Turbo Tax, though. (He doesn't like the online programs.) Nothing will get done tonight b/c he will be watching bball. 
  • Clean bathrooms
  • Tidy the house
  • Unload my car
  • Thrift store drop
  • pick up Ds
  • Meal planning 
  • Reorganize linen closet?
  • Errands: Whole Foods, watch repair, bookstore  Done, but two were unsuccessful.
  • Dd to/from swing dance
  • Church prep.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 6

26 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Good morning! 

Quiet here because my ds is at my mom's. I'm enjoying some early morning time to think. Reflecting on some of the things Angelina Stanford said in her talk yesterday. 

To do:

Give dh peace and quiet to do our taxes! 

Clean bathrooms

Tidy the house

Unload my car

Meal planning 

Reorganize linen closet?

Errands: Whole Foods, watch repair, bookstore

Dd to/from swing dance

Church prep.

I’d like to hear more about the Angelina Stanford talk.  I’ve been out of the Circe circle (😝) but recently listened to a Close Reads podcast and enjoyed it. 

Edited by hopeistheword
Stanford not Sandford
  • Like 6

Bluebell the lab is sitting by the front gate and staring forlornly down our lane. She is waiting for the UPS guy, who always gives her a treat and is therefore her favorite person in the whole entire world. Poor girl doesn't realize it's the weekend and she won't see him again until Monday.:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Good morning! We got a couple of inches of snow last night- but it should melt off by noon- Springtime in Colorado! dh and ds3 left for faraway courts and a morning of tennis- the dog is devastated because she was not invited. She always gets to go to the home courts...  I have a ton of driving tomorrow, so anything I have to do, I have to do today.

• coffee/paper-done
  • laundry
  • write
  • bathrooms
  • dust
  • kitchen
  • read/projects in sewing room
  • dinner at home

Have a great day!

• Like 6

@hopeistheword   Angelina spoke about identity, disguise, naming, and remembering as a literary theme which helps us to understand stories and which connects stories to the gospel. The first part was more academic, defining her terms and presenting her ideas. In the second part, she applied her thesis to a variety of literature as examples. Earlier in the day, at lunch with some other Close Reads people, the conversation rambled far and wide. She is an excellent conversationalist, for sure. Fun day! My dd, who is one of AS's students this year, really enjoyed it too!! Together with Cindy Rollins, AS is launching a new podcast, called "The Literary Life", in April. 

Done:
deskwork
tidy Ds' room and ours
reorganize a drawer
fold and put away two loads of laundry, another load in the dryer
AHG uniform 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 5

42 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

@hopeistheword   Angelina spoke about identity, disguise, naming, and remembering as a literary theme which helps us to understand stories and which connects stories to the gospel. The first part was more academic, defining her terms and presenting her ideas. In the second part, she applied her thesis to a variety of literature as examples. Earlier in the day, at lunch with some other Close Reads people, the conversation rambled far and wide. She is an excellent conversationalist, for sure. Fun day! My dd, who is one of AS's students this year, really enjoyed it too!! Together with Cindy Rollins, AS is launching a new podcast, called "The Literary Life", in April. 

Done:
deskwork
tidy Ds' room and ours
reorganize a drawer
fold and put away two loads of laundry, another load in the dryer

Thanks for sharing! I’m intrigued by (and a little intimidated by) the Circe crowd. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, hopeistheword said:

All that stuff I haven’t done all week because dh has been off and I’ve been discombobulated?  Yep. On the agenda for today. 😑

So:

walk

coffee/reading/praying  

kitchen day: make meatballs for freezer; oven chicken fajitas prepped; rice in instant pot; baked oatmeal 

prep school stuff: MUST GRADE SPANISH; look at what dd13 has left to accomplish in history; prep boys’ math; formulate plan for ds8’s writing; look at dd14’s literature 

visit parents?

collapse

All of my kids went with dh over to dmil’s house where he has his tools, etc., to change the brakes on our van.  I sat with coffee number two and did a bit of reading/thinking/praying, which has helped with the inevitable Saturday overwhelm. Now I need to decide how best to spend the quiet: cooking with audiobook or podcast or working on school stuff? 🤔

Also done: one load of laundry half way (need to switch).

• Like 5

6 hours ago, hopeistheword said:

So:

walk

coffee/reading/praying  

kitchen day: make meatballs for freezer; oven chicken fajitas prepped; rice in instant pot; baked oatmeal (in progress)

visit parents?

collapse

Taking a break from kitchen stuff so I’ll update:

roasted sweet potatoes

baked cranberry-orange oatmeal (in muffin tin & with chocolate chips)

pintos currently in instant pot for “refried” beans

switched laundry

two podcasts 

• Like 3

Laundry (I really hate this tiny machine... I started off with one that was about 1/2 the size of my US washer, I'm down to one that is 1/4 the size -- swimming family and towels is NOT a good fit for a TINY washer).

NCAA Course Outlines.  The forms are all double checked.  The outlines written.  Now, I just have to get LEGOManiac's into one GIANT PDF form (DH is doing that for me).  I still have about 5 course outlines to finish up for DD, and then get all of hers into the big PDF file).  I am *ON TRACK* to get these all signed & sent off to the NCAA Eligibility Center on Monday!  With any luck, they will pre-qualify PonyGirl, as she will have nearly all of her core course requirements DONE.  I'll have to submit the rest of her junior year documentation, but I may not have to submit anything but a final transcript for her senior year (please, God, make it so!).   This has been well over 36 hours of work. 

Tried doing a low carb Chick-fil-A.  Going to have to try something else... or do small test batches.  The batter slid right off (I think the girls used too much milk/egg and it wasn't drained enough.  The flavor was great.  AND, I didn't have any tummy issues from the fried breading (usually an issue for me).

Next up:

Finish all of my transition documents for the swim team and Boy Scouts (Concessions Binder & Fundraising Binder).  

Tomorrow is clothing clean out day.... dreading it (see laundry above).

• Like 5

Hey Lisa, just a reminder that no one is even going to start looking at forms for Ponygirl, or Core Courses until a coach requests it. Don't stress too soon! I know that I sent dd1's in the summer after her junior year and she wasn't officially cleared until all her freshman teammates were- September after her senior year, even though they said she was an early qualifier. Dd2 (public school) will just send in her transcript after she graduates.

I am already writing up core couse stuff for ds3- but really just putting my head in the sand. It is a ridiculous amount of work- and they never tell you anything once you mail it off.

House is clean, no idea where dh and ds3 are... I am going to read for a while.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, hopeistheword said:

Taking a break from kitchen stuff so I’ll update:

roasted sweet potatoes

baked cranberry-orange oatmeal (in muffin tin & with chocolate chips)

pintos currently in instant pot for “refried” beans

switched laundry

two podcasts 

Finished: 76 meatballs are now in bags in our upright  freezer

I’ve listened to 3-4 more podcasts 🤓

Next up: finishing the beans with the immersion blender, letting them cool, and bagging some up for the feeezer 

Right now I’m sitting on the front porch where the temperature and breeze are both very pleasant, taking a break.

• Like 5

Howdy!  Fairly busy day here ...

• Kid 2 to horse barn / her horse's birthday party!
  • Both kids to TKD belt test - they passed - though one of them didn't remember the name of her board break and was schooled a bit ....
  • Panda Express.
  • Kids shopping for tops to wear to the jr. high dance tonight.  (Their first dance!)  Someone had the bright idea of "favorite sports team" as the dress theme.  My kid's nice baseball shirt was outgrown, so I had pay ... no decent sales.  Oh well.  I think the new tops will see some good use.
  • Back home to work / study / get ready for the dance.

To do:

• Don't forget to bring $$ for the dance admission.
  • Stop at a store to buy chips, my contribution to the entertainment.
  • Drop kids off fashionably late, like 7:10.
  • Arrive around 10pm and help clean up the mess.  That is my other contribution to the cause.
  • Maybe watch a show or two, read aloud, etc. before bed.
  • Maybe do some actual work.
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, hopeistheword said:

Finished: 76 meatballs are now in bags in our upright  freezer

I’ve listened to 3-4 more podcasts 🤓

Next up: finishing the beans with the immersion blender, letting them cool, and bagging some up for the feeezer 

Right now I’m sitting on the front porch where the temperature and breeze are both very pleasant, taking a break.

Crustless ham-n-veggie quiche in the oven

• Like 5

1 hour ago, hopeistheword said:

Crustless ham-n-veggie quiche in the oven

Quiche out and cooling.

Rice for week (& probably some for freezer) in instant pot.  Will also do half dozen eggs in instant pot for lunches this week.

Dh and dd14 finished the dishes so now I’m lying down to read a bit in dd14’s school novel.  I hope I don’t fall asleep. 😅😴

• Like 3

I completed and submitted all of LEGOManiac's NCAA paperwork.

I have completed (through sophomore year) all of PonyGirl's NCAA paperwork.  I'll submit it tomorrow.  I'll have to send in the next packet this summer.  My goal is to have it ready to submit before we move (it's mostly done...just a few things I have to do).

• Like 1