Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

Ktgrok

my house is too small!!!!!!

Recommended Posts

I know I know...I should be grateful. I am. I really am. I know I'm incredibly blessed both to have a dry/warm/safe place to raise my family and to have so many kids that space is a problem. I know this. But man...it's hard sometimes. 

We have a BIG age gap, so instead of two kids in one room and two kids in the other I have the 19 year old in one room and the DD9, DS6, and DD2 in the other bedroom. Then DH and I in the master. And it's just not working well. I am NOT okay with bunkbeds at this point because DD2 is a climber and would be up there no matter what, and the others have ADHD and would forget to use any safety devices, and besides it is hard tile floor and I'm just not okay with it, safety wise. I know my kids, they'd break themselves. 

Trundle bed is high and same issue of roughhousing on the bed and falling onto ceramic tile, plus you still have to have room to actually pull out the bed. 

I've got them wedged in there in a new way now, but ugh. It looks ridiculous, you have to go ON the toddler's bed to get to some of the shelves, there is no room for the kids to put stuff up high right now away from her (I can buy another storage thing to put on top of the current one to fix that issue at least, just need to bolt it to the wall). 

You know what WOULD work? But won't because DH won't go for it? Put all three in the master bedroom. Move DS19 to the room the kids have now, and DH and I into his room. His room has a closet that backs up to the walk in closet in the master, so I could knock out the back of that closet and create a walk "through" closet that the kids and DH and I could share. But DH doesn't want to give up the master bedroom. He keeps saying we will buy a bigger house, but it never happens. This one needs work, and the guest bathroom got demo'd down to studs over a year ago and he hasn't finished it. He's not lazy, he works 1 full time stressful job, one part time job, and is getting his masters. And is the president of a non profit that puts on an information security conference each year (it's tomorrow). And helps organize a monthly meet up for industry professionals. But yeah....not done. 

The only other idea is to just lay down the law and explain to DS20 that he has to share with DS6. Except DS20 gets up super early to be at work at 6:30am which would be way too early for DS6, although I guess maybe he could sleep through that. And DS20 stays up much much later than DS6, obviously, watching TV in his room or talking to friends on the computer (actually talking..they just use the computer as an interface but they use headsets with microphones, not chatting/typing). So that's really not practical in a lot of ways. And neither is kicking DS20 out..he has ASD and ADHD and we are just thrilled he's working full time and planning to go back to school in the fall. Again, unless DS6 could sleep through it, which is not likely, and DS6 has PANDAS and needs his sleep. 

so yeah. Blech. 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about making mock-ups of your bedrooms and the furniture on graph paper?  Make two sets- one set showing the lay-out now and how the space doesn't make sense. 

And then make a second set with what it would look like if everyone shuffled.  Your DH might come around more easily if he can actually SEE the result of all that effort before committing to it.   

I think your idea to shuffle everyone around sounds super reasonable, AND it could be a fun way to give everyone a new bedroom space without having to go through the huge hassle of actually moving house (and finding the perfect home, making it right, etc.) It's much easier all around to try and make your current space work.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I know I know...I should be grateful. I am. I really am. I know I'm incredibly blessed both to have a dry/warm/safe place to raise my family and to have so many kids that space is a problem. I know this. But man...it's hard sometimes. 

We have a BIG age gap, so instead of two kids in one room and two kids in the other I have the 19 year old in one room and the DD9, DS6, and DD2 in the other bedroom. Then DH and I in the master. And it's just not working well. I am NOT okay with bunkbeds at this point because DD2 is a climber and would be up there no matter what, and the others have ADHD and would forget to use any safety devices, and besides it is hard tile floor and I'm just not okay with it, safety wise. I know my kids, they'd break themselves. 

Trundle bed is high and same issue of roughhousing on the bed and falling onto ceramic tile, plus you still have to have room to actually pull out the bed. 

I've got them wedged in there in a new way now, but ugh. It looks ridiculous, you have to go ON the toddler's bed to get to some of the shelves, there is no room for the kids to put stuff up high right now away from her (I can buy another storage thing to put on top of the current one to fix that issue at least, just need to bolt it to the wall). 

You know what WOULD work? But won't because DH won't go for it? Put all three in the master bedroom. Move DS19 to the room the kids have now, and DH and I into his room. His room has a closet that backs up to the walk in closet in the master, so I could knock out the back of that closet and create a walk "through" closet that the kids and DH and I could share. But DH doesn't want to give up the master bedroom. He keeps saying we will buy a bigger house, but it never happens. This one needs work, and the guest bathroom got demo'd down to studs over a year ago and he hasn't finished it. He's not lazy, he works 1 full time stressful job, one part time job, and is getting his masters. And is the president of a non profit that puts on an information security conference each year (it's tomorrow). And helps organize a monthly meet up for industry professionals. But yeah....not done. 

The only other idea is to just lay down the law and explain to DS20 that he has to share with DS6. Except DS20 gets up super early to be at work at 6:30am which would be way too early for DS6, although I guess maybe he could sleep through that. And DS20 stays up much much later than DS6, obviously, watching TV in his room or talking to friends on the computer (actually talking..they just use the computer as an interface but they use headsets with microphones, not chatting/typing). So that's really not practical in a lot of ways. And neither is kicking DS20 out..he has ASD and ADHD and we are just thrilled he's working full time and planning to go back to school in the fall. Again, unless DS6 could sleep through it, which is not likely, and DS6 has PANDAS and needs his sleep. 

so yeah. Blech. 

Mama, I so get it.  Our previous house was too small for us.  My mom kept telling me that her MIL (ie my dad's mom) raised FIVE kids in a house the same size as the one we were in.  I honestly have no idea how.  I honestly couldn't figure out how to even fit enough stuff in the kitchen to cook for family of five, let alone five kids and two adults.  Fitting enough beds and dressers into the kids rooms for them was an exercise in tetris.  And we DID end up putting a trundle bed in for the girls.  And still, dressers were in the closets.  For a time we had them sharing one dresser but it was so big and having the trundle out meant that basically there room was two beds and a dresser. 

One thought, less than ideal, but perhaps maybe more of an option than giving up your master...could the 2 yr old move into the master with you?  Most of our kids slept in our master until sometime between 2 and 3.  DS6 moved out the earliest, he was 18 months.  And it only happened because when we moved into the above too small house, the master was too small to put any other bed in with a queen.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or, do you have any other space you aren't using most effeciently?  A small office, or weird bump out off the dining room or something?  If so, maybe you could turn that into a bedroom for your oldest, with some minor mods.  Maybe a curtain over the doorway, or one of those folding screens?  

If you own the house, could you maybe convert the garage to a temporary bedroom for the oldest?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, happysmileylady said:

Or, do you have any other space you aren't using most effeciently?  A small office, or weird bump out off the dining room or something?  If so, maybe you could turn that into a bedroom for your oldest, with some minor mods.  Maybe a curtain over the doorway, or one of those folding screens?  

If you own the house, could you maybe convert the garage to a temporary bedroom for the oldest?  

I have friend's who have a 1200 sf house. At one point they had their two boys, an adult nephew and an unrelated teen girl living with them.  They converted their small eating area to a small bedroom for her.  Then two years later when she was 18 and moved out they deconverted it back to an eating area.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of moving the littles to the master! 

But I hear you. Our house is cramped and starting to feel like a money pit. I've been obsessively searching realtor/zillow but idk why.  We actually can't afford to move...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Draw it out and show it to us to see if somebody can come up with any ideas.   Are the kids beds twin size?  Little one have a toddler bed?  How big is their closet?   Room have toys in it, too?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd do a junior loft with a mattress on the floor underneath as a bunk bed. And I just might put down martial arts type interlocking mats as flooring.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get it.  I *finally* convinced dh that we needed to move when I was expecting dd8 (our sixth).

As the only boy, ds18 had his own room.

Dd16, dd14, and dd12 shared a room.

Dd10 slept in my and dh's room.  (She was 2 when we moved.)

I asked dh "If this next baby is a girl, where are we going to put her?"  Nevermind where are we going to put the toddler who is still in our room...

 

I would not knock down closet walls or anything like that.  And I agree with your dh that I wouldn't want to give up the master bedroom either.

What size is the room that your 3 kiddos are in?

What size beds do you have?

Do you have books/toys/other in that room that can be moved elsewhere?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you use just a crib mattress for your youngest and slide it under a bed during the day? Use it as a trundle without the trundle form? 

How big are the rooms? Is your oldest's room bigger; would it work better for the 3 kids (switch the kids' rooms so you still have the master)? 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd probably move the 2yo into your room or move the three younger kids into the master. Ask your husband what his solution is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

Mama, I so get it.  Our previous house was too small for us.  My mom kept telling me that her MIL (ie my dad's mom) raised FIVE kids in a house the same size as the one we were in.  I honestly have no idea how.  I honestly couldn't figure out how to even fit enough stuff in the kitchen to cook for family of five, let alone five kids and two adults.  Fitting enough beds and dressers into the kids rooms for them was an exercise in tetris.  And we DID end up putting a trundle bed in for the girls.  And still, dressers were in the closets.  For a time we had them sharing one dresser but it was so big and having the trundle out meant that basically there room was two beds and a dresser. 

One thought, less than ideal, but perhaps maybe more of an option than giving up your master...could the 2 yr old move into the master with you?  Most of our kids slept in our master until sometime between 2 and 3.  DS6 moved out the earliest, he was 18 months.  And it only happened because when we moved into the above too small house, the master was too small to put any other bed in with a queen.  

 

My husband comes from a family of 5 kids and they all lived in a 1900 sq. ft. house the entire time.  There was a small bathroom in the master with a toilet and a shower, and then one other bathroom, that all the kids shared AND was used by guests.  It worked for them, but.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel kind of whiney now.  I am moving to have more room for my 3 kids, two of whom are grown!~ . But they come back.  When they were little it was easier to share spaces.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a bit out of the box but could you knock out the back wall of the closet and make it a bedroom for ds6. It would have two exit points but the doors could be closed so he could sleep. You would have to get some freestanding storage for your clothes unless you have a hall closet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand about the 2yo climbing everything. What are they sleeping in now? Crib or bed? You said toddler bed, but just clarifying my imagination. 

We have 4 kids in one area: so crib, trundle under twin, twin bed, and a cot that is stored under the crib during the day. I won't say the cot is the most comfortable thing in the world but ds5 is happy and it clears up a lot of floor room during the day (as does the trundle). After about a week of reminding as soon as they got up, they have the habit of putting their beds completely away so the area is free during the day (at night, it takes literally every inch they have; the trundle doesn't pull out all the way). Our trundle isn't really much higher than any normal twin?, so not sure if maybe that's something you can explore again. Or, like someone else suggested, just push in/pull out a mattress. 

If you have a kid that comes to your bed often (or even if you don't), maybe they could move into your room. Or maybe the idea of this happening (or the act of a few nights of this arrangement) would be enough to get DH to look at your other solution more closely. 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with you. We're in a 1500sq ft house with seven people. DH and I have the largest bedroom (has a small walk-in), DS9 & DS6 are in one small bedroom, DS4 & DS2 are in another small bedroom, and DS23 has claimed the partially-finished basement (includes a 3/4 bathroom). The younger four do not have bureaus, are in bunkbeds, and have very few things allowed to stay in their small rooms (Legos and one bookcase in each).

I keep thinking that I should put the four younger boys into the largest bedroom together, DH & I take the bedroom with the larger closest, and turn the other small bedroom into a craft/study/quiet room. When they get older and need more space, I could *possibly* fit 4 loft beds in the largest room, so each could have a couch or a desk space underneath to themselves. (At least two of the boys are predicted to be 6'3"+, and we have low ceilings!)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, DawnM said:

 

My husband comes from a family of 5 kids and they all lived in a 1900 sq. ft. house the entire time.  There was a small bathroom in the master with a toilet and a shower, and then one other bathroom, that all the kids shared AND was used by guests.  It worked for them, but.....

We have the 4 kids, and the house is just under 1500 sqft and a lot of that is the living room and family room. Which are connected, of course, including the dining area, so no way to turn one into a bedroom. They all flow into each other. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small outbuilding bedroom for young adult? Might not be legal or enough space where you are.   (Very cool you tube video re an 11yr old who built his own tiny yard house.)

Floor padding in kids room?  ,Tatami mats and floor Futons in kids room that roll up and store during day?

2yo in master bedroom with adults?

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sounds a bit like us, our house is the same size for the same number of people, and only one boy.

We actually just moved dd14 into her new room, the dining room, as her bedroom.  Which means our only really public room is the living room which we use as kind of a dining room with comfy chairs and a piano.  There is also a kitchen and the tv is in the basement though it's not really a public area.  DD is still having to keep the family bookshelves in her room.

I would move the girls to the master.  I would not change the closets at first anyway - I think you might find you do a lot of switching over the next few years.  You can probably live with keeping some things in the closet in the kids room.

It seems pretty common for husbands to resist this kind of thing - there seems to be something about the idea of a master bedroom they find compelling.  I think it's an irrelevance though - what matters is who needs the space, which is rarely the parents. I would tend to push it with him, say it isn't working for you, that you can change back if it really doesn't work, and anyway things may change again in a few years. And tell him if it helps ,he can call it the dormitory instead of the master, and surely he doesn't want to sleep i the dormitory>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh I get it.  I feel like this too.  And I feel gets harder when they get older. 

Can a few of them share a bed?  2 in a double?  

I like the idea of just a mattress to pull out under the bed. 

I would probably put all 3 littles in the masters.   Oldest still on his own.     I think you could do bunks in a year or so.   How about the low profile bunk like the one from Ikea?    How long is your oldest going to live there?   

Even if you do not move, your youngest will be find around a bunk in a short amount of time.   Your oldest may leave in a few years.   And then you can move more kids around.   You don't have basements in your state right?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, to clarify some good questions/points:

DD2 sleeps on a twin mattress on the floor. She still cosleeps with me a decent amount of the time, and so a toddler bed won't work - the twin barely does. I can't bring her into bed with DH and I partly because he has been known to put a pillow over my head in his sleep and then try to sleep on me (seriously) and partly because our bed is pretty high and I worry about her falling off. Dh also snores, so squished and listening to snoring = me not sleeping. 

We CAN fit it under one of the other two twin bed frames, but it is not easy, so an adult has to put it in and take it out. I picked those frames because they are low to the ground and were super cheap but the way the legs are it is hard to fit the mattress, can't just slide it. So either it gets put away and then is a huge hassle to get out at night or it doesn't get put away.( DD still nurses to sleep most nights, so if she falls asleep in my lap I can't hold her and tug out the bed. But if it gets left out in the middle of the floor (where it was until I moved things today) it gets full of dirt and who knows what from the kids trampling it, and then I don't want to lay on it or have the baby on it. 

Half the time I sleep on the pull out couch in the living room with the baby, if only to avoid DH's snoring. But that's getting hard on my back. So really, we need somewhere I can sleep as well as the baby. 

We don't have any nooks/crannies/separate dining room/etc. Open floor plan, yuck.

DH does NOT want her in our room, and neither do I...I'm already worried about keeping quiet when brewing TeA, with her in there it wouldn't happen. 

We have the baby's dresser in my walk in closet to make more room in the kids' room, plus I got rid of the changing table and just change her on my bed. 

The kids have their shirts hung up in the closet and then drawers in the closet to put their pajamas, socks/underwear/shorts. So no dressers. 

They DO have a Kallax cube shelf system in there, it's 4 cubes by 2 cubes. It is where they store dress up clothes, craft stuff, and more importantly where they display photos in frames, special things they made, music box, piggy bank, , etc.  Toys are on shelves in the playroom/schoolroom which is where my desk/printer/etc are. (that's technically where the family room was). I really have no more room to stick stuff in there. 

Also, in our room we have our bed, dresser, etc plus DH's desk that he does need, plus one of the dog crates. Two other dog crates (one is for foster dog) are in the dining/living area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Ugh I get it.  I feel like this too.  And I feel gets harder when they get older. 

Can a few of them share a bed?  2 in a double?  

I like the idea of just a mattress to pull out under the bed. 

I would probably put all 3 littles in the masters.   Oldest still on his own.     I think you could do bunks in a year or so.   How about the low profile bunk like the one from Ikea?    How long is your oldest going to live there?   

Even if you do not move, your youngest will be find around a bunk in a short amount of time.   Your oldest may leave in a few years.   And then you can move more kids around.   You don't have basements in your state right?  

Yes, in a few years we can probably do the low Ikea bed anyway. We had one before, but when this one started climbing up at barely a year old we got rid of it. 

And no, no basements.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, DawnM said:

 

My husband comes from a family of 5 kids and they all lived in a 1900 sq. ft. house the entire time.  There was a small bathroom in the master with a toilet and a shower, and then one other bathroom, that all the kids shared AND was used by guests.  It worked for them, but.....

Ours was less than 1200sq ft, WITH a "spare bedroom" 4th bedroom that was essentially useless as a bedroom because it had no heat or air, (and was poorly built addition.)  plus it was on the opposite side of the house as everyone else and with a child with an ASD diagnosis and a tendancy to run off, there really wasn't anyone we could put there.  Plus, we actually had 4 kids, DD23 was living at college but still had her bed and stuff there, so it went into "the spare room"  The room was probably 9 by 13 ish?  So really, we had about 1k of functional space.  The "master bath" was a walk through half bath, basically a hall with doors on each end that had a toilet and sink in it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You’ve got a time limited problem. In a few years, your youngest will be safe around bunk beds. The real question is how to get from now to then.

When we were in your shoes (6 of us in a 1200ft apartment), we found that the key (for us) was to both minimize what we owned and to set life up for cramped quarters.

We radically (RADICALLY) got rid of stuff. If it wasn’t essential to daily living, it was gone. Toys/costumes/crafts/play items were reduced to one bin per person. We needed to have visual space (especially since more than half of my house has ADD and are visual locators of things—if they can’t see it, it doesn’t exist for them—-and clutter makes me anxious). 

I would also room the boys together. Oldest can learn to be respectfully quiet and your 6 yo can use earplugs or a sleep mask. (My 6yo does that with her sister.) We go to quiet hours at 8pm and though one of mine is naturally nocturnal, he has learned to make it work out with his brother.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We hadn't finished quite putting everything away after moving furniture/etc when I took this, so forgive the mess, our drinks, etc. The blinds are courtesy of the dog when he was having separation anxiety and crate phobia issues, thankfully solved. I put that purple rug there to hopefully keep dirt from being tracked into the room/DD2's bed. 

IMG_2118 2.JPG

IMG_2119 2.JPG

IMG_2120 2.JPG

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, seeing that, what about....

a full sized bed for both your 9yr old and your 2 yr old, with a twin trundle for the the 6yr old?  

 

And then, can you get rid of the cubby thing and night stand?  When we had the 2 girls in the one small room, ALL that was in the room was their beds, and one dresser each.  No toys, no night stands, anything like that.  

Also, if you own, can you put some shelves ON the wall for some of the stuff in the cubby thing?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you put the 2 girls in a double bed and your little boy in a twin?  You could lay with them until little one falls asleep and then move to master with dh.   A baby rail could keep little one from falling off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DawnM said:

 

My husband comes from a family of 5 kids and they all lived in a 1900 sq. ft. house the entire time.  There was a small bathroom in the master with a toilet and a shower, and then one other bathroom, that all the kids shared AND was used by guests.  It worked for them, but.....

1900 sq ft isn't small.

I've got 7 kids in less than that...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, happysmileylady said:

Ok, seeing that, what about....

a full sized bed for both your 9yr old and your 2 yr old, with a twin trundle for the the 6yr old?  

 

And then, can you get rid of the cubby thing and night stand?  When we had the 2 girls in the one small room, ALL that was in the room was their beds, and one dresser each.  No toys, no night stands, anything like that.  

Also, if you own, can you put some shelves ON the wall for some of the stuff in the cubby thing?

 

1 minute ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Can you put the 2 girls in a double bed and your little boy in a twin?  You could lay with them until little one falls asleep and then move to master with dh.   A baby rail could keep little one from falling off. 

When she weans that would work, but she still wakes to nurse fairly often, so all three of us in a double wouldn't be very comfy....add in the nights hubby is snoring so I'm looking for a quiet spot to sleep, and there are a lot of nights I end up with her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks pretty awesome!

Would it help to rotate everything a bit? The one bed away from the closet, the green bed forward and the last bed towards the door?

Could you get a trundle and a tumble mat? We had really thick foam interlock mats when we had ceramic floors and crazy toddlers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

That looks pretty awesome!

Would it help to rotate everything a bit? The one bed away from the closet, the green bed forward and the last bed towards the door?

Could you get a trundle and a tumble mat? We had really thick foam interlock mats when we had ceramic floors and crazy toddlers.

I'm directionally challenged....not sure how you mean. I THINK I've tried every rotation, and most blocked the doorway, lol. But if you can clarify I'm willing to try it if I haven't!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

That looks pretty awesome!

Would it help to rotate everything a bit? The one bed away from the closet, the green bed forward and the last bed towards the door?

Could you get a trundle and a tumble mat? We had really thick foam interlock mats when we had ceramic floors and crazy toddlers.

I might end up doing that...although would the trundle pull out well on that? Maybe. At least then the kids could pull the trundle out for me. I'd have the issue of kids stepping on the trundle if they get out of bed at night, but maybe. (family of sleep walkers....DD seems to have stopped but now DS has done it a few times...the other reason we no longer have bunk beds)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, I am directionally challenged too. I will try. 😂

Can you center the green bed under the window? You would move the bed by the Kallax system towards the door a bit (but not enough to block it if I am gauging widths ok). That 

Moving the green bed would allow you to shift the bed away from the closet doors...enough to put an IKEA wooden stepstool there to more easily access the closet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

 

When she weans that would work, but she still wakes to nurse fairly often, so all three of us in a double wouldn't be very comfy....add in the nights hubby is snoring so I'm looking for a quiet spot to sleep, and there are a lot of nights I end up with her. 

The 2 yr old is still nursing?

If that's the case, I would probably just bring the 2 yr old back in your room.  It sounds like you are already sleeping in the same bed with her...can you set up a small bed mat on the side of your bed?  That way when it's time for her to nurse, you just go down there with her, instead of going into her bed.  It doesn't sound like you are spending much time in your own bed anyway.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Would this work?

BAA9A7CD-EA6C-4A4A-B2B2-BB5127767141.png

No, there isn't enough width there to fit that way, across that back wall. You can fit one twin width wise and one lengthwise, and then maybe a foot more space but that's it. Not enough room for the three like that. A crib would fit in that space, but not a twin. 

3 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Sorry, I am directionally challenged too. I will try. 😂

Can you center the green bed under the window? You would move the bed by the Kallax system towards the door a bit (but not enough to block it if I am gauging widths ok). That 

Moving the green bed would allow you to shift the bed away from the closet doors...enough to put an IKEA wooden stepstool there to more easily access the closet.

No, if you do that then the purple one by the Kallax ends up blocking the doorway entirely. the door would then be as close to the bed as the closet is to the other bed now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, happysmileylady said:

The 2 yr old is still nursing?

If that's the case, I would probably just bring the 2 yr old back in your room.  It sounds like you are already sleeping in the same bed with her...can you set up a small bed mat on the side of your bed?  That way when it's time for her to nurse, you just go down there with her, instead of going into her bed.  It doesn't sound like you are spending much time in your own bed anyway.  

Yes, she just turned 2 on the 20th, and my kids have all nursed past 3. 

I've been spending more time with her partly because of DH's snoring, but he got on an allergy spray that seems to be helping, so I do want to get back in my own bed more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What if you put all three beds parallel against the same wall?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Junie said:

What if you put all three beds parallel against the same wall?

They don't fit, I tried

I mean, maybe if there were literally touching each other, like one big bed. Hm...maybe? Like, wouldn't that be a king then? DD's could share, and then that would be enough room for me too. Hmm....

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no ideas that haven't been shared yet. But...we also have tile floors. And our two oldest boys have bunk beds. We got them used, and one rung from the ladder is missing. I was so excited about that, because obviously that would prevent the toddler (recently turned 2) from climbing up. Yeah right. It took less than 1 day for him to figure out how to climb up. Of course, then he couldn't get down. I spent maybe a day getting him down every time he went up.

Then I told him I wasn't doing that anymore and to figure it out. And he did. And so far, there haven't been any injuries (kids are almost 9, 7, almost 6, and 2).

I know you said it isn't in your comfort zone. And it really wasn't in mine. But, for me, changing my comfort zone was way easier than any other option.

GL finding something that works!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Yes, she just turned 2 on the 20th, and my kids have all nursed past 3. 

I've been spending more time with her partly because of DH's snoring, but he got on an allergy spray that seems to be helping, so I do want to get back in my own bed more. 

That's fine if she's still nursing, but it does add a different wrinkle.

 

If you are looking to get back into your own bed more, then maybe making a bunch of rearrangements is a good idea.  Maybe you could start setting some limits on time or location of nursing?  I am not suggesting that you stop nursing, rather something like, no more nursing in bed.  Or, if she wants to nurse, she has to come to your room, then go back to her own bed.  Or maybe....get rid of the cubby and the night stand and put a small rocking chair in the room and nursing only happens in the rocking chair, and then it's back to bed time.  That way she can go back to her bed and you can get to spend more time in your own bed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think building up with wall shelves would make it feel like you have more room and give you more room on the ground. Agree that once you can get an ikea style bunk it will all work perfectly, it's a fair size room for 3 in stacks. 

Re: beds in a row, what about baby bed in the middle so it doesn't look like a huge bed as much as a comfy ground between two beds? People could scrunch down to the end of their own beds to get out and not step on baby. Don't know if that would block closet access though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since you often sleep in there, could you push the two beds together (sideways to the door/same way the green Minecraft one is in the picture)? So you would have 1 big bed and a bed on the floor at the end of it. Move your son to the floor and the girls (and sometimes you) could share the double twin. It looks like it would leave a little space in front of the closet. 

If you wanted to make play space in there, a futon mattress for the floor could roll up every day. I know I couldn't sleep on a roll up mattress every night, but I don't think it would bother a 6 yo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is ridiculous and selfish for your husband to essentially have the master suite to himself while you and three children are in one small bedroom.  The logical thing is to turn the master into a dormitory.  I think I'd over-rule dh on this.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So your walls don't really need to be as wavy as in my picture, they should still work just fine 😉 (And the weird quarter circle in the bottome right is supposed to be your door opening, LOL)

You may have tried this already, and that shelf may not fit between beds and allow access to closet. But figured I would suggest in case it sparks something workable.

ETA: this may not be better than what you have currently, even if it could work

Second ETA: if you turn that shelf so it is 4 up and 2 across I think it would fit between the beds? Would need to bolt to wall possibly but looks like it is made to work either way

1297481829_ScreenShot2019-03-29at5_32_58PM.png.4d3ac3f3c622a9d36bc709ca106f7be8.png

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, maize said:

1900 sq ft isn't small.

I've got 7 kids in less than that...

You said it first! We had 5 in 1600sf. We’re now in 1375sf with 3, but it does get tight when the olders come home. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wall mounted shelves. You can buy cheap brackets at Walmart and shelving board at Lowe’s. Yes it will be harder to have kids put things away but you will protect them from baby and free up wall space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

That's fine if she's still nursing, but it does add a different wrinkle.

 

If you are looking to get back into your own bed more, then maybe making a bunch of rearrangements is a good idea.  Maybe you could start setting some limits on time or location of nursing?  I am not suggesting that you stop nursing, rather something like, no more nursing in bed.  Or, if she wants to nurse, she has to come to your room, then go back to her own bed.  Or maybe....get rid of the cubby and the night stand and put a small rocking chair in the room and nursing only happens in the rocking chair, and then it's back to bed time.  That way she can go back to her bed and you can get to spend more time in your own bed.  

Unfortunately, all those options mean less sleep for me, lol. As I age I'm finding I don't handle that as well. And if she's crying, she's waking up the rest of the house as there is zero soundproofing in this house. And with at least one of my other kids night weaning didn't mean not waking up at night....he kept doing it, just not nursing. 

17 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

I think building up with wall shelves would make it feel like you have more room and give you more room on the ground. Agree that once you can get an ikea style bunk it will all work perfectly, it's a fair size room for 3 in stacks. 

Re: beds in a row, what about baby bed in the middle so it doesn't look like a huge bed as much as a comfy ground between two beds? People could scrunch down to the end of their own beds to get out and not step on baby. Don't know if that would block closet access though. 

I am thinking that shelves on the walls instead of the shelving unit is going to be a must. 

But no, that won't work, it would block the closet access. I just tried a few minutes ago, lol. 

9 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

So your walls don't really need to be as wavy as in my picture, they should still work just fine 😉 (And the weird quarter circle in the bottome right is supposed to be your door opening, LOL)

You may have tried this already, and that shelf may not fit between beds and allow access to closet. But figured I would suggest in case it sparks something workable.

ETA: this may not be better than what you have currently, even if it could work

1297481829_ScreenShot2019-03-29at5_32_58PM.png.4d3ac3f3c622a9d36bc709ca106f7be8.png

I just tried putting it sort of like that, and you end up with only 14-15 inches of clearance between the foot of the beds on the left and the side of the bed on the right. It's doable, but not sure it's any better. It means there is no real space at all. Also, that means very little space as you walk in as well. 

1 minute ago, sassenach said:

How’s your equity? Could you afford to add on?

I don't think it would be a good bet, resale wise, in this area. Moving makes more sense, but getting DH to get the house ready..sigh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...