Menu

What's with the ads?

Mom21

Dual Enrollment Scholarships?

As a homeschooler, has anyone received dual enrollment scholarships? Our local CC workforce training center offers partial scholarships to anyone enrolling regardless of dual enrollment or not, but the remaining balance would still need to be paid. Are there other dual enrollment scholarships to homeschoolers outside of enrolled government/public school discounts? If not and funds are tight, then would it be a better idea to hold off until after senior year when considered a regular college student with the possibility for more merit scholarships being available as well as FAFSA? 

Sorry, I don't know anything nationally.  However, do you have more than one community college in your state?

We live between a couple of community colleges. When my now-college-aged son was in high school, we discovered that each of the community colleges handled tuition for dual enrollment differently.

Sometimes, it was based on our income. Sometimes the gen-ed requirements were the only classes that had a tuition break. The best discount was the online classes but he didn't really like on-line classes. So, as soon as he could drive, he did drive for the free/reduced cost classes.

Another dual enrolled student told him that the StateU had dual enrollment classes for free. They only let in 30 or so students and I never saw it published/ advertised anywhere.

• Like 1

I don't know what is available outside my state but my state has a de grant that covers some classes. Our local Christian U also scholarships classes that are not covered by the grant.  We have used two different cc and this university and the university is cheapest. So my only advice is to shop around if you have more than one place available to you.

• Like 1

In our state, some counties have discounts on dual credit classes - some are free, some are half-price, some are full price - totally depends upon county and what ISD you live in. Price is half-price for us locally - at both the CC and a private 4-year university. 

Or are you asking about dual credit scholarships once you graduate? If that, LeTourneau offers a dual credit scholarship (but I think only for students who have taken classes on campus). Our local CC now offers a 40% tuition discount for those who have at least 12 credits of DC classes when they graduate. There are some easily manageable requirements.