Menu

Running high fever with virus--come and go?

sbgrace

About every other week from March 2, my teen has run a high fever with viral symptoms.

March 2 he had some mild cold symptoms. March 3, he had a 103 fever. At first I thought flu due to the fever and muscle aches/fatigue he was having, but the onset was more like a cold in that it was kind of gradual until the fever hit, and it ended pretty quickly. Also, he gave it to all the rest of us. No one else ran a fever, and it seemed like a mild cold for everyone else.

He was well for a week.

Then he spiked another high fever (103.5), but this time with a terrible cough. Fever lasted a day or two. Just when I thought I might take him in, he was fine. 

He's been feeling good for about a week, give or take. No coughing or other symptoms at all. 

Yesterday evening he complained of nasal congestion and a headache. Today we're back to 103.5. It's mostly that his nose and ears are stopped up today.

Seems weird? Is it concerning?

Generally when a fever goes away and comes back I think secondary infection. But his other symptoms haven't stayed consistent. He's seemed completely well in between. I am reluctant to take him in because we have an awful lot of flu in our area right now, among other things. 

Edited by sbgrace