Menu

What's with the ads?

goldberry

Gluten Free Entree to Feed 6-8?

I need something pretty easy to make for a family who lost a loved one recently.  All my recipes are heavily glutenated! 🙂   Please help!   And a side if you can think of one to go with the entree?

You could make a roast with potatoes, carrots, etc.  Just use single-ingredient seasonings, like onion powder, garlic, pepper, etc.  You could make a gluten free cornbread to go with it or buy GF rolls (look in the frozen section at your grocery store).

• Like 3

Mexicanish is easy to do gluten free.  Make some Spanish rice, beans, meat, corn tortillas (check the label, most corn tortillas are gf but not all).

Pasta with gf pasta.  The ones that mix rice and corn are the best.

A meat and potato dish

• Like 4

1 hour ago, athena1277 said:

You could make a roast with potatoes, carrots, etc.  Just use single-ingredient seasonings, like onion powder, garlic, pepper, etc.  You could make a gluten free cornbread to go with it or buy GF rolls (look in the frozen section at your grocery store).

Confession:  I'm 52 years old and have never made a roast.  😳  We're not big red meat eaters and the idea of a roast, although I think I might enjoy it, has always intimidated me.  I like casseroles and casserole type dishes.  

Does shredded cheese have gluten?  We have a really good zucchini enchilada dish although we would have to double. Check these ingredients:

• cooking spray
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 2 medium green onions, chopped
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 2 medium zucchinis, grated
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups grated reduced fat mexican blend cheese
  • Corn tortillas
  • chopped scallions (optional)
  • chopped cilantro (optional)

Enchilada sauce:

• 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tbsp chipotle chilis in adobo sauce (optional for more heat)
  • 1 cups tomato sauce
  • 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder (to taste)
  • 1/4 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 cup fat free vegetable broth
  • Salt and pepper

• Like 1

Roast chx and veggies. 

If you want a casserole, a classic chx/broc/rice with a cheese sauce (no canned soup)  is easy, tasty and freezes well. 

Ribs or pulled pork are easy, though they take a while to cook. Baked beans and slaw for sides. 

Chili. White chili. Soup without pasta in it. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, goldberry said:

Confession:  I'm 52 years old and have never made a roast.  😳  We're not big red meat eaters and the idea of a roast, although I think I might enjoy it, has always intimidated me.  I like casseroles and casserole type dishes.  

Does shredded cheese have gluten?  We have a really good zucchini enchilada dish although we would have to double. Check these ingredients:

• cooking spray
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • Salt and pepper
  • Corn tortillas

Enchilada sauce:

• 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 cups tomato sauce
  • 1/4 tsp ground cumin
  • Salt and pepper

Kraft shredded cheese is definitely gf some others may not be, some vegetable broths are and some are not, if it says food starch don't use it, the adobo sauce I am not sure of...it could be in the natural flavorings.  If you can find GF on the can it would be better.

• Like 1

My go to meal for delivery - gluten free since I am: 

boneless skinless chicken breast, smear with mayo and then top with shredded parmesean

mashed potatoes

green beans with garlic 

green salad

dessert - ice cream or fresh strawberries and whip cream 

I always put my meals in dispoable foil pans to make life easy for the family. 

• Like 1

I struggle with GF because my cookware, utensils, etc are all contaminated with gluten.

So, I sometimes do a freezer/crock pot meal (frozen chicken breasts, bar-b-q sauce, applesauce - eyeballing measurements and let them dump and cook), bag of frozen veggies, bag of salad. 

But, I believe Sam's Club rotisserie chickens are GF! 

28 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I struggle with GF because my cookware, utensils, etc are all contaminated with gluten.

So, I sometimes do a freezer/crock pot meal (frozen chicken breasts, bar-b-q sauce, applesauce - eyeballing measurements and let them dump and cook), bag of frozen veggies, bag of salad. 

But, I believe Sam's Club rotisserie chickens are GF! 

Fortunately I don't think they are that sensitive, I have been told it's okay as long as everything has been washed.

I'm not GF, but I think a chicken/veggie/rice casserole as mentioned might work. Of course I'm not sure about the canned cream of mushroom or cream of chicken so I'd need to read the label on those first.

For a side, I'm *pretty* sure I've served this to a GF person before. GF pasta salad with Italian dressing. Of course, double check all labels to be sure. My pasta salad varies slightly on what I have on hand. I usually add a can of black beans, cut up carrots (last time I tried the shredded carrots but I think I prefer cutting them up myself into round slices), sliced cucumber, and brocolli. The one I made tonight I used sweet peas. 

Would they want a dessert? Some of them are much more expensive than others, but the GF brownies in a box were a hit when we made those once.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hmvaughan4 said:

Tacos with corn shells?  Lasagna with spinach instead of lasagna noodles

Depending on the recipe, you could make regular lasagna, just with GF lasagna noodles.  They are easier than the regular ones, because you don’t have to cook them before you assemble the lasagna.  Put them in dry and they soften in the oven.  

• Like 1

Wal-Mart's Great Value brand has gluten-free cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup.  This opens up a lot of casserole options.

Also, Swanson's beef and chicken stocks are gluten free.  (Make sure it is the stock and not the broth -- apparently there is a difference.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, goldberry said:

• cooking spray
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • Salt and pepper
  • Corn tortillas

Enchilada sauce:

• 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 cups tomato sauce
  • 1/4 tsp ground cumin
  • Salt and pepper

Check the labels on the cheese, tortillas, and also the broth. A good brand of gf tortillas you may find in the refrigerated or frozen section is Siete.

If you decide to go for a lasagna instead, Tinkyada is a good brand of brown rice noodles.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Junie said:

Wal-Mart's Great Value brand has gluten-free cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup.  This opens up a lot of casserole options.

Also, Swanson's beef and chicken stocks are gluten free.  (Make sure it is the stock and not the broth -- apparently there is a difference.)

I was wondering about that. I found this: https://www.campbells.com/swanson/whats-fresh/broth-vs-stock/

I’ve bought their products in the can and box. I don’t always see the same options and it can get confusing. 

• Thanks 1

Progresso cream of mushroom soup is gluten free,

you could modify your regular casseroles to be GF by using GF pasta or make a rice based casserole. Buy a foil baking pan if contamination is a concern. Actually, I always use foil pans when bringing dinner to someone just so they don't have to bother washing and returning.

• Like 2

Simpler is better.  

A meaty tomato-based pasta sauce and a box of GF pasta, shredded parmesan, bagged salad or sliced veggie sticks

Au Gratin potatoes can stand alone as a main course, especially if you throw a little crumbled bacon amongst the potatoes, salad/veggie sticks

Indian Butter chicken , roast sweet potatoes or cauliflower, and rice (the chicken reheats beautifully, I've made it many times and enjoyed the leftovers many times)

BBQ chicken with jarred BBQ sauce (check label, most are fine), bag of potato chips (check label, stay away from flavorings- plain salted chips are usually safe), coleslaw

• Like 2