Menu

What's with the ads?

happysmileylady

Does your area have Uber?

Do you live in an area where Uber/Lyft are available?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Do you live in an area where Uber/Lyft are available?

• yes
    • no

Six months ago, I moved from an area that didn't even have curb side pick up at grocery stores.  In fact, a short drive from that home regularly put us in places with no cell service.  Rural areas often are missing services, businesses and such that others are so used to that they sometimes take them for granted.

SO, my question, do you live in an area where Uber/Lyft or other sorts of services area available?

No Uber/Lyft in my semi-rural area.  We have cell service but it's bad even with an extension in the basement.  We do have curbside pick up at the grocery stores.  

Uber yes, Lyft no. Lots of grocery delivery options. The only food that gets delivered here is pizza. 

I rode an Uber once. It was my first time and I was the driver's first customer. He was trying to earn extra money to help put him and his wife through college. The car was an older one (90s maybe?) that smelled of cigarette smoke and the a/c didn't work well. Working a/c is a big deal here. He was a nice enough person but I wouldn't want to ride in that car again. I have no idea if there are others or how many. 

ETA: We don't have a mass transit system. Actually we do have busses but they are few and they are terrible. 

Edited by Lady Florida.

Our town does not have Uber, but the airport is less than 10 miles so Uber and Lyft will give you a ride home. However, the local Uber/Lyft driver has posted on the local FB page so if someone needs a ride, they know who they can contact. 

I live in a small town that is a bedroom community but not a suburb of a small city (pop 300k).  Grubhub and Uber Eats aren’t available yet either. 

No, we're too small.  But, we do have one taxi now!  We also have something called "Dial-a-ride" -- a large van that can pick you up and bring you to other places in town, but you have to reserve a day in advance.

However, our town is small enough that in a pinch, you could walk as long as the weather is decent.

Uber and Lyft headquarters are in San Francisco so we definitely get both services here including UberEats. I also have Grubhub and Doordash. I am also in the Amazon Prime Now two hour delivery area. For cellular providers, I have a choice of AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint. For home internet, I have Xfinity (Comcast) and AT&T. Light rail station is a short walk away. Public buses are not as convenient but many company buses stop nearby. 

Yes, we have Uber in our small town. We also have a free bus that runs to the ski area (dh is a driver). The bus wanders around town, so technically you could catch it at the college and take it across town. Of course, you could probably walk faster!

I live in one of the biggest cities in the world, and Uber is a lifesaver.  It’s really inexpensive here (a 20-minute ride is less than US$2, not including the discounts they’re always applying to my account), but even more, it’s really nice to not have to find parking in this city. Uber drivers are slightly more likely to have functional seatbelts in their cars too.  And there’s no negotiating about the fare, like there is in taxis where they never want to use the meter.  I use Uber all the time.  Before I moved here, I’d used it maybe twice in my life, even though I’d been in cities where it was available. 

Edited by Amira

2 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Yup!  They had it up north too.

Well I know it's available here to you goofy!  🤣🤣🤣

I am however fully intrigued that it was available up north too.  So many times I see things like "not available in Alaska and Hawaii" on various commercials and such, that's cool that Uber stuff was available up there.   

• Haha 1

I don’t think so, but probably an hour or so in all directions there is. There are private drivers that advertise to the Amish, they’d most likely drive the English, too. Our house is right on the edge of a large dead zone, so I feel lucky to have a working cell phone.

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

Well I know it's available here to you goofy!  🤣🤣🤣

I am however fully intrigued that it was available up north too.  So many times I see things like "not available in Alaska and Hawaii" on various commercials and such, that's cool that Uber stuff was available up there.   

It gets thin outside of the big cities, but because of all the tourism in AK you still will see some drivers even in towns not connected to the road system, as essentially a local taxi alternative.

Yes we have uber. Lyft either just got here or will be soon.  We have curbside, and grocery delivery.  Also door dash and uber eats.  Total metro population is 250k

Yes to Uber.  We live near a large metro area.  I don't think we've ever used it though.

As for grocery delivery, I have never used it, so I don't know how long it's been available.  I noticed it at a fancy grocery store near our TKD school several years ago.  Just this past year or so, it seems to have become a lot more "normal."

Nope, no Uber or Lyft. We live very rural and the closest town only has 400 people.No grocery or restaurant deliveries of any kind.

About twenty minutes away from us, there is a Walmart and a small grocery store, which both started offering curbside pickup just recently.

Cell phone coverage here is spotty. It is very hilly, and when you go down into a valley, you often lose your signal. 

I voted yes, both are technically available. But, being a semi-rural area, it’d cost me at least $22 for a round trip to the grocery store. Not including tip. 

I have heard about tourists freaking out because they couldn’t get an Uber for an hour or more.  Just because it’s “available” here doesn’t mean it’s the same as city Ubers.

What's curb-side pickup at grocery stores? (Only sort of kidding. I know some moms that use some sort of order-on-Walmart.com-and-pop-the-trunk type of thing, but that's in Big City 60+ miles away.)

No Uber or Lyft that I know of. We have a community bus that you can call to pick you up and take you places. It isn't cheap and usually takes awhile to show up (so you might be able to walk in the meantime) but the elderly in our community are grateful for the service.

Small (some might say tiny, but I reserve that for the places that have less than 200 people) rural town. It is farm country where sports are king. We do have two grocery stores, two pharmacies (down from a peak of four), two stop lights, and a one-screen movie theater. Our "hometown" general merchandise store is going out of business. We do have pizza delivery (sometimes - depends on whether that have enough manpower) from either the gas station or Pizza Hut.

Cell phone coverage is good if you have a local plan. There are signs up in the local Discount Store warning people that phones bought to work here will not work in a neighboring community.

• Like 1

I live in a mid-sized college town. Yes to Uber/Lyft, though I've never used them. We have curb-side grocery pickup (which I do use weekly). And I know there's Grubhub and other fast food delivery services. 

We have uber but I don’t know a single person who’se used it in this area.  A friend of mine went on a business trip to Atlanta GA and crowed on FB all about how she finally had her first uber ride.

I live in a semi-rural area.  The local library is about a quarter mile from my home.  The next closest library is in the next town over 9.5 miles away—those 9.5 miles are just a jumble of farms, houses, and a few random businesses scattered around all down a single road.  

It would cost $35.56 to get to that library and back...and we pop down to that town all the time.  The next closest town in the other direction is slightly farther away.  Do people really spend $35 to get to places and back or is that cost astronomical?  (Feels astronomical to me.). Do people only use Uber if they have to travel many fewer miles?  

So...it’s here, but I don’t know who would use it at those prices unless they were desperate to get somewhere.  It can’t possibly be that much in other places, can it?

The population of my town is 4500 and the next town over with the library is 7600, though it’s a tourist town that gets 3 million visitors a year.  Maybe the tourists use Uber to get around town, even though at only 1.66 square miles, everything in that town is walkable.

Sorry for rambling.  I’m just shocked over the prices and now I know why no one that I know uses Uber.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Garga said:

It would cost $35.56 to get to that library and back...and we pop down to that town all the time.  The next closest town in the other direction is slightly farther away.  Do people really spend $35 to get to places and back or is that cost astronomical?  

My husband’s office is about 7miles driving distance away from home and it cost at least $11 on UberPool.

It cost me at least $21 to get to my healthcare center which is 15 miles driving distance away from home. The same trip by cab would cost me about $40.

I use Uber when my husband isn’t available to give us a ride due to being out of town or having a full day work meeting  (I don’t drive) and public transport won’t get us there in time. It takes me about 2hrs via public transport (a light rail train and two buses) to get to my healthcare center, while Uber gets me there in 20mins off peak. 

• Like 2

Yes. We're in a city. We generally use Lyft. I use it when I'm headed downtown and am not in the mood to take the subway. Like, if it's cold or raining or I'm under the weather. We are a one car family and we routinely let the kids use it to get home from things at night. Yes, it's against the rules. In all the times they've done it, they've only been refused a ride once. And then they just called for another one. During the day, I make them take the bus. But when ds needs to come home at 10:30 or 11 from the theater and we can't get him, then no to the bus. And BalletBoy's studio is really close but the bus doesn't run that way at night so it would be a pain. It's like $6 for him to come home on Lyft, so it's worth it.

Uber, Lyft and two alternatives I am aware of.  I use Lyft once or twice a month on average.  I've used Uber once.  

It's Seattle.  So we have Amazon Prime Now (1-2hr delivery) and a host of options for grocery delivery and errands.  

We do, but since we are in a small town it isn't as reliable as it is in bigger cities. It wouldn't be something I'd use around here. I would use it on vacation in a large city.

Kelly

Is it bad that I don't know? I've never had a need to use Uber or Lyft, especially not at home (we own five vehicles) so I don't have the app and can't check. I seem to recall that DS23 said Uber was available here, but that it was limited. We're just a few miles outside the city limits of an almost 250k city, though, so I suspect it's not all that limited. Grocery delivery--I don't think so? Lots of curbside pickup available, though.

9 hours ago, Garga said:

So...it’s here, but I don’t know who would use it at those prices unless they were desperate to get somewhere.  It can’t possibly be that much in other places, can it?

I’ve always assumed it was primarily for shorter, more urban (though not necessarily *city*) trips and things like airport runs. I do know someone who’s used it in our non-city region, but they do live closer to the “hub”.

Dh uses Uber when he travels and seems to like it. I’d love to use it for nights out so we could both have a few drinks, but not when it means we have to watch the clock carefully in order to secure a driver, lol.

• Like 1

We live in a town of 45,000 and we do have Uber. Dh uses it when he travels and college kids both in big cities use it. 

We have only had occasion to use it one time in town. Dh and I went for a neighborhood walk and accidentally locked ourselves out of our house. Ds was at work about five minutes away (but unwalkable). Dh used the app to call an Uber and take him to workplace of ds to get a house key. LOL.

The Uber came quickly and our problem was solved in about 15 minutes. 

• Haha 1

No, we're rural, so no taxis either.  There's also many more DUIs, or at least there appears to be based on the number of DUI liscense plates I see.

• Like 1

I'm rural, we have all sorts of transportation options that are very expensive, including Uber.  The cheap one is Dial-a-ride, subsidized by the county but it only goes in the county...it operates a weekly grocery shopping trip and a weekly medical trip from the senior apts.  The religious groups all have their own busses and share cars so their folks can get around or get to the train/bus without having to wait hours.

We have it.  I've never used it.  My daughter used it once when she and some friends were coming home from the city and accidentally got on an express train that flew by our station. Whoops.  I think it was $24 for the ride (which the 3 girls split), about 10 miles.  That seems expensive to me but I am old and have no frame of reference for something like this. Tsk tsk. 

Uber yes. DS has used to to come back from school when i am not available to drive. I hate using these things so I call a cab or use car service when I can’t drive.

for all my hatred, Uber did save us in Milan on a late night recently where no taxis were to be found at the train station (soccer game was on 😂)

Edited by madteaparty

13 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

Uber yes. DS has used to to come back from school when i am not available to drive. I hate using these things so I call a cab or use car service when I can’t drive.

for all my hatred, Uber did save us in Milan on a late night recently where no taxis were to be found at the train station (soccer game was on 😂)

I'm not challenging you, just wondering, what is the difference between Uber/Lyft and a car service?  I would have thought they are about the same thing: need a ride, call for a ride?  No? 

Just now, marbel said:

I'm not challenging you, just wondering, what is the difference between Uber/Lyft and a car service?  I would have thought they are about the same thing: need a ride, call for a ride?  No? 

The car services I use are locally owned. The one DD and I took to the airport recently—the guy was acting as a bit of a despatch too 😂Listen, I’m not a rational decision maker and I claim no moral high ground. If I have to use an Uber, DH will have to order it (usually because he’s with me and can only take so much nonsense 😂). 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

The car services I use are locally owned. The one DD and I took to the airport recently—the guy was acting as a bit of a despatch too 😂Listen, I’m not a rational decision maker and I claim no moral high ground. If I have to use an Uber, DH will have to order it (usually because he’s with me and can only take so much nonsense 😂). 

OK, thanks. I think I see what you mean.  I wasn't thinking about moral high ground. I'm just a suburbanite trying to understand the bigger world.   Actually, my daughter says Uber is immoral and Lyft is the way to go, but I don't know about that either. 

1 minute ago, marbel said:

OK, thanks. I think I see what you mean.  I wasn't thinking about moral high ground. I'm just a suburbanite trying to understand the bigger world.   Actually, my daughter says Uber is immoral and Lyft is the way to go, but I don't know about that either. 

DH will also take Lyft before Uber if available. 

19 minutes ago, marbel said:

I'm not challenging you, just wondering, what is the difference between Uber/Lyft and a car service? 

Here Uber/Lyft takes a maximum of four passengers per booking even though I sat on a Uber ride with four Apple employees and the driver could comfortably take in one more passenger from that pickup point. My husband’s department secretary calls for car service when they need a passenger van from point A to point B, so basically six to twelve people in a van.

Lyft is more common in San Francisco, Uber is more common where I am. However many Uber drivers where I am also drive for Lyft. Uber and Lyft are also employee “perks” where I am so many tech companies’ employees use it for work trips.

Edited by Arcadia
Grammar

Regarding minors taking Uber. We know people who use Uber for their teens. Under Uber rules that is not allowed and in case of an accident, it would be rather messy. CHP and county sheriffs won’t be too happy about dealing with Uber/Lyft and minor passengers in a collision accident.

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

Regarding minors taking Uber. We know people who use Uber for their teens. Under Uber rules that is not allowed and in case of an accident, it would be rather messy. CHP and county sheriffs won’t be too happy about dealing with Uber/Lyft and minor passengers in a collision accident.

Well I’m pretty sure the driver knows the boy’s a minor because they pick him up a school. And if there’s an accident(god forbid), dealing with the sheriff would be pretty low on my list of worries. 

Yes, but cell service has gaps. When I drive to the grocery store, there are two short stretches where it goes out. We also have curbside grocery pick-up and drive-thru pharmacies.

Uber is available, but I know several people who have tried to make money with it driving, and there's not a lot of demand here. There's some, but not a lot.

Chuckling at the thought of 45,000 people being a "town". 

We do have a senior van--and I'm old enough to qualify. However, we have plenty of vehicles (usually) so I've never taken it. 

We don't have curbside or delivery of groceries. Shoot, we don't even have pizza delivery out here, and the dogs would object anyway. We do have the scan thingie at the grocery store, but I've never used it. I want to chat with the friends who scan my groceries. Our WM is the smallest in the US--we don't have groceries, other than milk and bread. 

We do have internet (obviously) but the thingie is on a post in the sheep pens (line of sight to the top of the ski hill where there's a tower) and then it comes across to the outhouse! and then to the house. And then continues back to the bunkhouse for when dd is out there (like when her house caught on fire). The shop is too far away even with a booster. She couldn't get Netflix. 😉 

Edited by Margaret in CO

8 hours ago, ksr5377 said:

No, we're rural, so no taxis either.  There's also many more DUIs, or at least there appears to be based on the number of DUI liscense plates I see.

What's a DUI license plate?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

What's a DUI license plate?  

In our state if you have a DUI you have to put these bright red and yellow plates on instead of the normal ones.  I guess the concept is public humiliation will make you less likely to drink and drive?  I have also heard people refer to them as "party plates"

27 minutes ago, ksr5377 said:

In our state if you have a DUI you have to put these bright red and yellow plates on instead of the normal ones.  I guess the concept is public humiliation will make you less likely to drink and drive?  I have also heard people refer to them as "party plates"

Wow, I've never heard of anything like that before.  I wonder if it really works as a deterrent. 

15 hours ago, Margaret in CO said:

Chuckling at the thought of 45,000 people being a "town".

Same, lol.  Technically, I don’t even live in a town; my mail comes from the next county over, which is how my address is designated even though that “village” is a few miles away from my house. My townSHIP is around 40sq miles and under 7,000 people. When I talk about “my area”, I’m usually talking about a 30 mile radius.
(Which is why I say these things *are available, but scheduling would be a nightmare. No driver is going to want to come all the way out here to drive me a mile down the road. If there were a place to go a mile down the road, lol.)

• Like 1

Not directly from my house, but in the region Uber is available. I didn’t vote because I’m not sure whether that constitutes a yes or a no. 

The main issue with my house location is no cabling available for internet. I am still stuck using a hotspot and we pay an embarassing amount of money for internet on multiple devices because we can’t get cable internet for our house.