Menu

What's with the ads?

Jenn in CA

9th grade modern US & world history

I need suggestions for 1877 & forward for a 9th grader. I saw Memoria Press has a US history that covers this period. What else is out there that would cover world history? I am not a Tapestry fan, I think I need something simpler. Thanks for ideas!

My Father's World has just US History from 1877 to present. I believe they use Notgrass Exploring America as the spine.

Programs that cover Modern World History:
Biblioplan: Modern (1850-2000)
Beautiful Feet: US & World History (1850-2000)

It looks like Pandia Press' History Odyssey series does not yet have the level 3 (high school) for Modern Times yet.

Edited by Lori D.

We are using Dave Raymond's Modernity for next yr. Sweeping overview from the Enlightenment to 21st C. Not as detailed in US History as some other choices. Video based. Christian.

I will be adding some Read Like A Historian and movies.

4 hours ago, perkybunch said:

This is what we're using this year, along with DK's Definitive Visual History of World War II.  I've actually split 20th century into two years - we're covering 1900-1950ish this year and 1950-2000 next year. I'm also looking at adding the decades books sold by Prufrock Press (1960s, 1970s, etc.) for next year too.

• Like 1

The human odyssey book sounds great. Is there any lesson guide or curriculum that goes with it or uses it!

1 hour ago, Jenn in CA said:

The human odyssey book sounds great. Is there any lesson guide or curriculum that goes with it or uses it!

There isn't, unfortunately, and I've done an exhaustive search. Apparently the K12 curriculum is all online by that point. What we've done is sort of a mix. I'm a certified secondary social studies teacher, so often I just teach the material using a combination of reading the textbook, lecture & note taking, writing assignments, etc. But you could also have students outline a section or two per chapter, or do a research/writing project on a person mentioned in a chapter or section. I've added essay assignments to it as well using DBQ project materials. 

I second the Biblioplan.  We used to use Tapestry, but needed something much simpler.  That's when we found Biblioplan.  Year 4 would cover the time period that you want to study.  

We are also Human Odyssey fans. The third volume is from WWI forward. There is also another volume for American History. We enrich with biographies and documentaries. I use these texts to teach note-taking.

On 3/28/2019 at 4:40 PM, FairProspects said:

There isn't, unfortunately, and I've done an exhaustive search. Apparently the K12 curriculum is all online by that point. What we've done is sort of a mix. I'm a certified secondary social studies teacher, so often I just teach the material using a combination of reading the textbook, lecture & note taking, writing assignments, etc. But you could also have students outline a section or two per chapter, or do a research/writing project on a person mentioned in a chapter or section. I've added essay assignments to it as well using DBQ project materials. 

I found some good used copy on Amazon. I will use it for my 9th grade over two years. Would you be willing to share your writing assignment topics with me?