Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

PeterPan

Anything brilliant and multi-sensory for latin/greek word roots?

Recommended Posts

I think my ds (with autism) might be ready to do a little something with latin/greek roots. I'm talking really little like one a week or maybe 3 a week. Maybe flashcards with pictures, activities... Something really useful or fun, something that comes with lists of derivatives he would recognize. Something maybe on no more than a 3rd grade level. But they don't teach morphology till 4th so why would they have word roots for 3rd?? See they wouldn't.

I used Prima Latina years ago with my dd, and that's so much more than he needs. I'm literally saying ONE WORD a week. Or something I can scale to be that slow. Something sorta idiot proof. Maybe even with a really stupid picture to visualize the root, like a poster of the week or something. 

Does this exist? :smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Rummy Roots for a fun game, but you would need to type out the word lists for each deck.  I mean, it comes with a list but we found it handy for each person to have their own next to them.  It's not as slow as one word a week, but it's fun.

I also found these Word Wall files that might help.
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Song School Latin by CAP might be fun.  It teaches vocab using songs, a DVD, and plain cards.  

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used English from the Roots Up, using the book and making our own cards. (What about making your own very visual word wheels?) We adapted EftRU and made it more game-like -- see my past post in the thread "Vocabulary Curricula" for more details of how we used EftRU, plus links to websites with ideas for more activities. EftRU vol. 1 has a good set of roots to start with for a 3rd grader -- vol. 2 is better for slightly older students.

To add a visual element, you might get one of these cards with images from Teachers Pay Teachers:
Root Words ($4.99)
FREE Greek and Latin Root Words

For engaged/hands-on activities check out:
Greek and Latin Root Word Puzzles -- a Teachers Pay Teachers cut out and assemble large puzzle pieces
Rummy Roots -- a "Go Fish" type of game

Here's an online-only game for learning/practicing Greek roots: Go For The Gold.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On March 27, 2019 at 6:34 PM, HomeAgain said:

I also found these Word Wall files that might help.

Ooo, I hadn't thought of a word wall!

10 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Rummy Roots -- a "Go Fish" type of game

Ok, so what happens with ds is that he can memorize bits like that but they don't really generalize or connect to anything else in his brain. 

10 hours ago, Lori D. said:

What about making your own very visual word wheels?)

Likey!!!!

I'm looking at that EFTRU and it's bringing up an interesting point. Root studies like that have never made sense to me. I should think more about what words I was thinking of, because I'm not sure my ideas had any UTILITY at all, lol. Like this week we learned "porcus" which was really fun but would never appear on any of those lists. :biggrin:

I think MP has a book that does what I was thinking, starting with a latin word (the whole word) and then looking at all the derivatives and ways it shows up. I think if I do words like that using the word wheels, that would be about right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, perkybunch said:

I have "500 Prefixes, Suffixes, and Stems Super Fun Deck" from Super Duper Publications.  They have a picture for every one.  Maybe that would work?

https://www.superduperinc.com/products/view.aspx?pid=FD88B&s=500-prefixes-suffixes-and-stems-super-fun-deck#.XJzJc5hKiUk

I'll go look, because yes we use a lot from Super Duper!!! LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Heathermomster said:

Song School Latin by CAP might be fun.  It teaches vocab using songs, a DVD, and plain cards.  

I'll go look at it. :biggrin:

Ok, I looked. Way more than he can handle. Basically impossible. But it was a really nice thought, lol. We're still working on english, let alone memorizing that much in something else, lol. 

Edited by PeterPan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Critical Thinking Press had a computer game called "Word Roots" years ago. It had 3 levels when we had it. My kids loved it and I am planning to get it going for my next up child here soon. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I LOVED these interactive notebook printables for my kiddo...we just did one or two a week, and then reviewed a couple every week that we had already done... (the first link is one I bought, the second is a similar one I considered cause it had some words the first didn't, though the first had more words.  If you click on the Preview on either of these you can download it and there are some samples pages, which are good for trying out to see if your kiddo likes this before buying the whole set.) 

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Greek-and-Latin-Roots-Interactive-Notebook-1521669

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Greek-and-Latin-Root-Words-Prefixes-Suffixes-Interactive-Notebook-Vocabulary-2076811

This is free and I used it with the ones above (I'd just put this on the opposite page of a word).

https://blog.allaboutlearningpress.com/teaching-latin-roots-with-word-trees/

More Freebies....

(Interactive Notebook Ones - single words)

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Latin-and-Greek-Root-Word-Interactive-Notebook-Sample-therm-3479313

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Latin-and-Greek-Root-Word-Interactive-Notebook-Sample-aster-astro-3486311

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Greek-and-Latin-Roots-Interactive-Vocabulary-Notebook-Mort-1502645

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Greek-and-Latin-Roots-FREE-Printable-Activity-Pages-2143314

Other Cool Greek/Latin Root Freebies

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/GREEK-AND-LATIN-ROOTS-STUDENT-POSTER-CREATIVE-AND-FUN-3340376

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Root-Word-Creatureunderstanding-Latin-and-Greek-root-words-1619078

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/FREE-Greek-and-Latin-Roots-Sketch-Notes-3334010

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Greek-and-Latin-Roots-Lesson-Plan-Free-Download-123196

And one that wasn't free but looked really cool (as an alternate to the interactive notebooks)...

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/GREEK-AND-LATIN-ROOTS-VOCABULARY-INTERACTIVE-SKETCH-NOTES-ACTIVITIES-AND-FANS-3209165

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could try my free to print Latin and Greek word root bingo, you read words and definitions while playing the bingo.  All linked on my syllables page, links 2 - 4 in the teacher folder section.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

Also, make your own little word matrices from SWI, structured word inquiry.  If you google "structured word inquiry" or  "structured word inquiry matrix" you get some ideas.  If you build them yourself instead of the computer generated matrixes, that would be more hands on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On April 3, 2019 at 10:24 PM, goldenecho said:

So, I LOVED these interactive notebook printables for my kiddo...we just did one or two a week, and then reviewed a couple every week that we had already done... (the first link is one I bought, the second is a similar one I considered cause it had some words the first didn't, though the first had more words.  If you click on the Preview on either of these you can download it and there are some samples pages, which are good for trying out to see if your kiddo likes this before buying the whole set.) 

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Greek-and-Latin-Roots-Interactive-Notebook-1521669

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Greek-and-Latin-Root-Words-Prefixes-Suffixes-Interactive-Notebook-Vocabulary-2076811

This is free and I used it with the ones above (I'd just put this on the opposite page of a word).

https://blog.allaboutlearningpress.com/teaching-latin-roots-with-word-trees/

More Freebies....

(Interactive Notebook Ones - single words)

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Latin-and-Greek-Root-Word-Interactive-Notebook-Sample-therm-3479313

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Latin-and-Greek-Root-Word-Interactive-Notebook-Sample-aster-astro-3486311

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Greek-and-Latin-Roots-Interactive-Vocabulary-Notebook-Mort-1502645

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Greek-and-Latin-Roots-FREE-Printable-Activity-Pages-2143314

Other Cool Greek/Latin Root Freebies

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/GREEK-AND-LATIN-ROOTS-STUDENT-POSTER-CREATIVE-AND-FUN-3340376

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Root-Word-Creatureunderstanding-Latin-and-Greek-root-words-1619078

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/FREE-Greek-and-Latin-Roots-Sketch-Notes-3334010

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Greek-and-Latin-Roots-Lesson-Plan-Free-Download-123196

And one that wasn't free but looked really cool (as an alternate to the interactive notebooks)...

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/GREEK-AND-LATIN-ROOTS-VOCABULARY-INTERACTIVE-SKETCH-NOTES-ACTIVITIES-AND-FANS-3209165

 

 

 

Those were amazing, thank you!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...