Menu

What's with the ads?

2Peanuts

Any advice on how to create an internship?

Hi all,

DD takes a glass art class at a local art studio and has really taken to it. Her teacher will be offering camps this summer and has invited DD to be her assistant during the camps. However, to comply with child labor laws (because DD will only be 14 when the camps occur), she said the studio would only let DD assist through an internship. The studio is willing to create the internship but they have never done something like this for a high school student.

So, has anyone out there ever created an internship for their kiddo? Can you recommend any good resources? Or are there any existing internships for high school students that you can point me toward? We just want something that we can use as a template.

Thanks!

• Like 1

What a great opportunity! (:D

How about something like this Internship Agreement and Learning Plan?

Also, the first page of this Internship Guide for State of Maryland Agencies might help you set goals for the internship. Also, if you google search for "INTERNSHIP AGREEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES"  you come up with a link to an automatic download document from that same Maryland agency that may be the sort of contract/agreement that you're looking for.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lori, I wish I could download your brain into mine! 🙂 Thank you!

• Haha 1

Another option is to ask if the studio is willing to qualify themselves as a Certifying Organization for the US Presidential Service Volunteering Awards. If they can do that, then, her hours spent working at the studio can be certified by them as volunteer hours (since it is an unpaid position) and she can credit it to her hours of volunteer service. In my neighborhood, most teens volunteer at summer camps and count the hours towards their presidential awards. I believe that 50 hours is enough to earn her a medal.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mathnerd said:

Another option is to ask if the studio is willing to qualify themselves as a Certifying Organization for the US Presidential Service Volunteering Awards. If they can do that, then, her hours spent working at the studio can be certified by them as volunteer hours (since it is an unpaid position) and she can credit it to her hours of volunteer service. In my neighborhood, most teens volunteer at summer camps and count the hours towards their presidential awards. I believe that 50 hours is enough to earn her a medal.

I had no idea this program existed! Will definitely keep it in mind for other volunteer plans -- DD also plans to volunteer at a special needs performing arts camp.

The challenge for her art studio, I think, is that they are a for-profit entity. Not sure if they would be able to qualify as a certifying organization. But they might, since they also teach classes there. I'll forward the info to them to see.

Thanks for the tip!

entities that run for profit can certify volunteer hours for anyone working for them under their volunteer program.

• Like 1

If she’s a volunteer, then I would think they don’t need to do anything. They can write it up as an unpaid volunteer internship however they like.

If they want to pay her a stipend, I’m thinking they need to talk to their lawyer or, at least, find an organization in your area that does do paid high school internships and copy their legal language. There are some around me, but 14 yos are allowed to work here. So that doesn’t help you.

Another option might be to have them give her free access to classes or studios or materials. That should be within their ability without violating the work laws. They could even extend it through the whole year or first semester or something- whatever makes sense.

Edited by Farrar