Menu

Sitting here in shock... IT's REALLY HAPPENING!

LisaKinVA

UPDATE:  Well, he's received his amateur status from the NCAA, and the school's compliance officer let me know he'll be cleared as an early academic qualifier, and he received an official welcome to the team.  LEGOManiac is swimming with a Division 1 team this fall.  🤩

I've gotten so used to hearing all manner of reasons why a child isn't good enough, tall enough, etc.  DS applied to ODU with zero notion of swimming for the school.  It's D1, and yes he is off their recruiting standard.  

LegoManiac had a phone call with the coaches last night, that went well.  LegoManiac is the eternal optimist, but even taking that into account I was stumped with the lack of anything remotely close to "you're off our standard... to walk on this fall you'll need to..." kind of things.  And they KNOW his times.  Instead -- please send us all of your academic information, NCAA information, I think we can skip this when you get here... was the talk.  So, he sent them everything last night.

TODAY, they want us to send any medical history, letters from the cardiologist and plan to set up a meeting with their medical people, and possibly another cardiologist to get his health clearances taken care of, to clear him to swim?!  OH my stars!  It's looking like DS may not only be attending ODU in the fall, but he may be swimming with them, too!  *^&%$!!  I have more work to do this weekend (he was going to swim D3, so I didn't bother with the NCAA paperwork.  I now have to finish all of the NCAA paperwork AND they changed some of the forms again.   I don't think there is any $$$ for swimming, though (at least I don't have to spend several thousand dollars for him to swim -- so that would be a plus).

Edited by LisaK in VA is in IT
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

WOW!!!

DId you do NCAA regulation homeschooling, whatever that requires? 

This is awesome! Even if there's no scholarship it'll be an instant group of friends, travel opportunities and much more.  I wonder if they have seen young 17 and 18 year old men suddenly improve with better coaching and the growth spurt that comes around that age (young men grow in bone and muscle mass even when they're not growing in height.)  

15 minutes ago, Calming Tea said:

WOW!!!

DId you do NCAA regulation homeschooling, whatever that requires? 

This is awesome! Even if there's no scholarship it'll be an instant group of friends, travel opportunities and much more.  I wonder if they have seen young 17 and 18 year old men suddenly improve with better coaching and the growth spurt that comes around that age (young men grow in bone and muscle mass even when they're not growing in height.)  

Yes, the group of friends has already started -- he's on an Instagram Group with the team.  They spoke to him about his training.  He's achieved A/AA times with zero dryland and roughly half the pool time as those he's being compared to --which should translate to some explosive growth in speed and power as those are addressed. DD is in the same boat. A very few coaches/programs recognize this though.  

I had about 2/3 of the required work done for NCAA -- and then DS was going D3 (so didn't need the paperwork), and then declined, took a gap year, and applied to ODU without even worrying about swim.  I have to re-do everything on the new forms, and finish the others up.  It's mostly typing it all out and making sure I have ISBN #s, editions, etc. of the textbooks.  We didn't do a lot of weird things that I have to worry about.  I'll probably just do DD's too and get it all submitted for both of them this week.  It would just make life easier on me -- and then I can get books packed up without any excuses!

• Like 2

Yep I agree, he will see a big improvement in times once you add in better coaching and dryland!  Dryland makes a huge difference.  In fact our local private swim clubs usually start getting the middle school aged kids even doing dryland.  Usually for high school the high school provides the dryland and then they swim on the club team and high school team at the same time, with the high school taking priority.  But for those kids that aren't part of a high school team, one of our private swim clubs offered dryland in the coach's garage. 🙂

So excited for you

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

How exciting!

[And what is ODU?]

Regards,

Kareni

Old Dominion University - it is one of a handful of universities that are local to where we are moving (that has a pretty good engineering program to which he was accepted as well).

• Like 5

2 hours ago, LisaK in VA is in IT said:

Old Dominion University - it is one of a handful of universities that are local to where we are moving (that has a pretty good engineering program to which he was accepted as well).

More and more exciting! Best wishes to him and to you.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LisaK in VA is in IT said:

I had about 2/3 of the required work done for NCAA -- and then DS was going D3 (so didn't need the paperwork), and then declined, took a gap year, and applied to ODU without even worrying about swim.  I have to re-do everything on the new forms, and finish the others up.  It's mostly typing it all out and making sure I have ISBN #s, editions, etc. of the textbooks.  We didn't do a lot of weird things that I have to worry about.  I'll probably just do DD's too and get it all submitted for both of them this week.  It would just make life easier on me -- and then I can get books packed up without any excuses!

One bit of good news is they don't ask for ISBNs anymore. Read the info about "nontraditional courses" carefully, they seem to be getting weirder and weirder about what counts as "nontraditional" vs "homeschooled." There is no longer a dedicated homeschool department and many of the staff there don't seem to have the foggiest idea how homeschooling works. Unless the course provider was pre-approved (like PAHS and a few others), it's better to list yourself as Teacher of Record and anyone else involved as "Other Teacher." Submit extra CCWs if you can, in case they get difficult about one or two of them.

As soon as you're registered and have submitted the first set of CCWs, make sure the coach puts your son on the Institutional Request List, so NCAA will review the files. Usually the coach sends the names to the Compliance Dept, and they compile a list from all coaches to send to NCAA, and then someone at NCAA needs to link the list to the individual athletes, so there are several steps where someone can drop the ball. If you don't see progress on the student dashboard within two weeks or so, double check with both NCAA and the coach that your son is on the IRL. 

Good luck to him! 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Corraleno said:

One bit of good news is they don't ask for ISBNs anymore. Read the info about "nontraditional courses" carefully, they seem to be getting weirder and weirder about what counts as "nontraditional" vs "homeschooled." There is no longer a dedicated homeschool department and many of the staff there don't seem to have the foggiest idea how homeschooling works. Unless the course provider was pre-approved (like PAHS and a few others), it's better to list yourself as Teacher of Record and anyone else involved as "Other Teacher." Submit extra CCWs if you can, in case they get difficult about one or two of them.

As soon as you're registered and have submitted the first set of CCWs, make sure the coach puts your son on the Institutional Request List, so NCAA will review the files. Usually the coach sends the names to the Compliance Dept, and they compile a list from all coaches to send to NCAA, and then someone at NCAA needs to link the list to the individual athletes, so there are several steps where someone can drop the ball. If you don't see progress on the student dashboard within two weeks or so, double check with both NCAA and the coach that your son is on the IRL. 

Good luck to him! 

Yes, I've been following this -- I did most of DS's work on the old forms.  I have to migrate everything to the new forms.  I went with listing myself as the teacher of record back then -- for everything I didn't have another transcript for.  I may run into problems with 2 courses now, since the school (it was approved) is closed and they never sent NCAA a transcript.  I'll submit a copy of the official one I have with mine, along with an explanation, but they could just toss those two courses altogether.  He can't make them up, either 😞  One is AP Human Geography and the other is AP Stats. He has enough math and science -- but the social science is going to be the crap-shoot.

6 hours ago, LisaK in VA is in IT said:

Yes, I've been following this -- I did most of DS's work on the old forms.  I have to migrate everything to the new forms.  I went with listing myself as the teacher of record back then -- for everything I didn't have another transcript for.  I may run into problems with 2 courses now, since the school (it was approved) is closed and they never sent NCAA a transcript.  I'll submit a copy of the official one I have with mine, along with an explanation, but they could just toss those two courses altogether.  He can't make them up, either 😞  One is AP Human Geography and the other is AP Stats. He has enough math and science -- but the social science is going to be the crap-shoot.

Can you just write up those courses as homeschooled courses and list the other person as a tutor or other teacher? As strange as it is, they prefer courses taught totally at home, and don't care at all about outside validation. Considering that your son is already accepted and the coaches definitely want him, I would leave anything to chance with NCAA — they are so clueless about homeschooling and seem to be so arbitrary in their decisions.

5 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

Can you just write up those courses as homeschooled courses and list the other person as a tutor or other teacher? As strange as it is, they prefer courses taught totally at home, and don't care at all about outside validation. Considering that your son is already accepted and the coaches definitely want him, I would leave anything to chance with NCAA — they are so clueless about homeschooling and seem to be so arbitrary in their decisions.

Unfortunately, I cannot.  The school was listed when we originally signed up, it's also included on the transcript I submitted at the beginning of his Junior year.