Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
angelaguptathomas

Light, reflective, spiritual reading for a 3 week sabbatical

I will be traveling for 3 weeks and am looking for recommendations for my Kindle and Audible App.

I do not want anything intense or dark, but reflective, light, from a Christian perspective-but not necessary. Fiction and nonfiction recommendations.

Thanks!

I am really enjoying Joy Dawson's books.  She is a 93ish year old woman who served as a missionary with her husband of 65 years with Youth With A Mission.  Probably her most well-known book is Intimate Friendship with God.  I have also read and enjoyed Ruined for the Ordinary.  She has other titles too, and I hope to read them all over time.  Joy's heart in all of her writing is focused on glorifying the Lord and helping others to come to know Him.  These are works of nonfiction, and they have the potential to deepen your relationship with Jesus. I can highly recommend them.

• Like 1

Do you like Anne Lamott?  I enjoyed Traveling Mercies and Bird by Bird. They are autobiographical with short chapters about her life as a liberal, grace-filled, somewhat "unlikely" Christian. 

• Like 2

"He Restores My Soul" edited by Katie Schuermann fits the bill, and is a fairly recent publication.  One nice thing about it is that it's a collection of stand alone essays/stories, which can be considered separately.

• Like 2

I've been enjoying the books of Diana Athill.  Not from a Christian perspective, but reflections on a life fully lived.  Not sugar-coated but I found them optimistic:  either Somewhere Towards the End or Alive, Alive Oh.  

For a beautiful meditation on landscape, again with no specific religious content, The Living Mountain, by Nan Shepherd, is captivating.

• Like 1