Menu

Spiral Pre-A options?

My daughter is good at math, but is also good at forgetting if she doesn't use something. A quick review brings it back, but she gets discouraged that she has to have the review in the first place. Right now she's working in Beast Academy 5C. I'm looking ahead to Pre-Algebra. I think she could handle AOPS Pre-A, but I'm also thinking she might gain more confidence if we do a spiral pre-algebra program. Other than Saxon, what spiral Pre-A programs are out there?

ETA: I don't want an online or video based curriculum; I prefer a textbook, workbook, or other physical resource.

Edited by silver

I think the pace of the online AoPS PreA class would be too fast for her, and she likes having me as a teacher. Unless you were just referring to Alcumus as the online portion. I know Alcumus does some review, but I'm not sure it is frequent enough to keep things remembered. Does review come up more often if you work to green instead of blue before moving to the next topic?

I'm looking for her PreA work to solidify elementary math and boost her confidence while preparing her for Algebra. At this point I'm not sure if AoPS Algebra or Jacob's Algebra will be a better fit for her. If one could go from TT PreA to Jacobs or AoPS Algebra, I'd be willing to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you decided anything?

I have the same scenario.  My son is finishing up Beast 5c.  Next year he will complete D pretty quickly, but we decided not to continue with AOPS.  Neither do I think he's ready to jump straight into Jacobs (my tentative algebra plan). I need something to shore up those elementary math/algebra prep skills.

I'm thinking of maybe using the Key to Algebra books and spiraling them myself...

To add to the TT discussion: my daughter uses TT.  She's only in TT6, but, it's very very simple. Unless it scales way up (which I'm granting it might) I don't think you could jump from Beast to TT to Jacobs.

My daughter is up for trying AoPS PreA. So what we're going to try is to use that but add in Khan academy for spiral review. I'm not quite sure how I'll do that, I'll probably manually assign stuff for her to do that I think she'd benefit from seeing again.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Coco_Clark said:

Have you decided anything?

I have the same scenario.  My son is finishing up Beast 5c.  Next year he will complete D pretty quickly, but we decided not to continue with AOPS.  Neither do I think he's ready to jump straight into Jacobs (my tentative algebra plan). I need something to shore up those elementary math/algebra prep skills.

I'm thinking of maybe using the Key to Algebra books and spiraling them myself...

To add to the TT discussion: my daughter uses TT.  She's only in TT6, but, it's very very simple. Unless it scales way up (which I'm granting it might) I don't think you could jump from Beast to TT to Jacobs.

If did want to come back and share that part of my decision was based on the fact that my daughter gets bored with rote computation style problems. After looking over the scant samples I could find of various spiral options, I think she would wilt with a more standard pre-algebra curriculum. 

She doesn't mind occasional rote computation, and it can be good for review, but a whole page of it bothers her.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 6:34 PM, Coco_Clark said:

IMO, TT starts to scale up about halfway through 7. Pre-algebra isn't that easy, except for the first few chapters where it's mostly review.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, hollyhock2 said:

IMO, TT starts to scale up about halfway through 7. Pre-algebra isn't that easy, except for the first few chapters where it's mostly review.

Thank you, that's really good to know.  Right now she mixes TT with Math Mammoth because while she loves it, TT alone just doesn't seem like enough to me (not deep enough, not conceptual enough).  But she's only in 5.  It would be nice if she could use it at her high school math w/out a ton of supplementation. 

• Like 1