Menu

Starting with English

Hello, everybody ! Are you ok ?

We are a brazilian family and I should start teach my daughter in English. I can't speak English very well and I don't know if I've skills needed for it.

Do you recommend any children's books in English? I need some material for help me 😄

Which are the famous books for children that speak english?

I think I would recommend the stories that are short and easy to follow:

The Cat In The Hat and Green Eggs And Ham are by Dr. Seuss.  They each use a handful of words (250+ and 50, respectively) to tell a story.

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown (vocabulary: everyday objects)
The Very Hungry Caterpillar (vocabulary: numbers, food)
Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? (vocabulary (animals, colors)
Z Is For Moose (vocabulary: alphabet)
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (vocabulary (alphabet names)

Some of them have unit studies available at Homeschool Share that are free to print, so you can give them something to do with the story. 

Wow ! Thanks  😄

I'm a few insecure about when start to teach my daughter. She's 4 years old, so I don't know if I should start it now or just in a few years....

Actually, she's learning portuguese... Can she be confused by starting teach a other langue now?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, how are you? 

I would also try audio books, both for yourself and your children.  For you I would try to.listen to a book while also following the text.  I deus that when I was trying to improve my Spanish.  I also watched one novel a, beginning to end.  Each time I would puck one from different countries (Colombia, Mexico, Peru) to help understand the accents.  I did have some back ground, as my mother is Mexican, but my Spanish was limited.  I am now fluent and can read and write Spanish as well.

Good luck to you.  Have fun.

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2019 at 12:00 PM, Diego Serpa said:

Hello, everybody ! Are you ok ?

We are a brazilian family and I should start teach my daughter in English. I can't speak English very well and I don't know if I've skills needed for it.

Do you recommend any children's books in English? I need some material for help me 😄

Which are the famous books for children that speak english?

Olá, a melhor maneira de ensinar sua filha ingles é usar o que sabe você em sua rotina diário. Por exemplo, se sabe vocabulário durante dos tempos de comer, fala inglês durante o almoço. Os livros são bons para introduzir vocabulário. Também se tem acesso a videos ou programas para meninos em inglês, pode ser escutado inglês em contexto de vários situações, e com vários acentos. Se tem perguntas, seja livre a comunicar comigo. Eu ajudo famílias que estan ensinando seus filhos outros idiomas. Somos uma família bilingüe inglês-espanhol, e aprendendo chinês. É uma grande aventura. Faz favor, perdão este tradução. Estou usando um tradutor de espanhol a português brazileño.

• 2 weeks later...

Audio books are a great way to learn and read with the kids. Another great thing is even with shows you can change the setting to English to help train their ears. Kids pick up a second language quickly with the right environment but don't put too much pressure! They will eventually pick it up in time. Also work with learning the phonic sounds to help her build up some reading skills.