Menu

We had used CLE until this year. My girls hated it and it took them a long time to complete. So this year (6th grade) they are doing Mastering Essential Math Skills and some Khan to supplement. It takes a much shorter time to complete and they seem to be understanding things. It's so short so I hope it's thorough. I feel like they needed a year like this to gain some confidence. Mastering Essential Math Skills does have a pre-algebra, but I just really do want to make sure it's solid and thorough.

Since this year's math was so "easy... light... quick??" I am open to something that takes a little longer. Like back to CLE, or Saxon or something.

What would be a good curriculum to follow CLE, then a lighter year of basically review?

Well CLE covers pre-algebra over two years.  My DD is doing 700 this year and it does take a LONG time for her to complete, but I'm so pleased with how much she is learning and retaining.  What about Horizons Pre-Algebra?  It's spiral and thorough. 

I used CLE 7 & 8 with my oldest, and it was solid, but took him forever.  For my younger ones, we're using Principles of Mathematics, Book 1 & 2.  Very solid, and prepares kids very well to jump into an Algebra 1 text like Jacob's or Foerster.  We are finding the lessons very manageable, and even enjoyable! ;)

1 hour ago, momtofive said:

For my younger ones, we're using Principles of Mathematics, Book 1 & 2.  Very solid, and prepares kids very well to jump into an Algebra 1 text like Jacob's or Foerster.  We are finding the lessons very manageable, and even enjoyable! 😉

Does each book take 1 year? And are they both pre algebra?

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

On Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 9:19 PM, lgliser said:

Does each book take 1 year? And are they both pre algebra?

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

They are supposed to take a year each, but could go faster depending on your student.  Yes, both are prealgebra.

Edited by momtofive
On 3/26/2019 at 1:09 PM, 8FillTheHeart said:

I have used MUS's alg and geometry as pre-alg and pre-geo (completed in a single yr) with all of my kids. It is a great, simple intro to the concepts.

If you’ve not purchased/used MUS in previous years is this an option to use only these years?

4 hours ago, arliemaria said:

If  you’ve not purchased/used MUS in previous years is this an option to use only these years?

I don't use any other MUS products. My kids use Horizons' K-6 levels. We move from Horizons into those MUS books as a transition to high school math texts. (We use Foerster's for alg.)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Glad to hear that DD isn't the only one who "takes forever" to finish her CLE Math. I'm considering having her complete only the odd problems of the review sections this year, where appropriate. I'm also looking at the skill builders two days at a time. If both days contain the same type of problem, I'm cutting one of them. I'm hoping this will save some time without losing effectiveness.