Menu

I have just come from registering DS14 for high school (in the fall)

Ginevra

Public high school. New ground for us. 

Luckily, I have an “in” there through a fellow hser whose dh is a dept. head. He took us on a tour this past weekend as a favor and gave me an overview of a bunch of things I wanted to know about the school and the way they do things. 

Presently, I feel very positive. It is a very good school. Hopefully, things will go well. 

• Like 26

3 minutes ago, Quill said:

Public high school. New ground for us. 

Luckily, I have an “in” there through a fellow hser whose dh is a dept. head. He took us on a tour this past weekend as a favor and gave me an overview of a bunch of things I wanted to know about the school and the way they do things. 

Presently, I feel very positive. It is a very good school. Hopefully, things will go well. 

Best wishes for a great school year and smooth transition!

• Like 2

When I put my two daughters back in school (10th grade and 8th grade) it turned out really well for us.

There is a bit of an adjustment period when the school picks the level of classes the student should be in, or when you realize you have no idea what they are working on, and a bunch of other things that you used to have to micromanage. But high school is a good time to put them back in. Once they start doing AP classes, etc, it is harder to find resources as a homeschool parent to teach at that level (at least that is what I found).

Looking back now I feel like it was a nice way to round out their education. 

Good luck! 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soror said:

Aww, I know hard hard it is! Dh started this year in 8th and is going to high school next year, public. So far so good!

I know this is a typo but it is funny given the other thread's comments of "I'm married to a grown man who can pack his own lunch!" 😉

• Haha 9

We've been VERY pleased with the public high school.  It's not perfect, but it's been really pretty good and in some areas that are important to us, it's been truly excellent.  (The choir and drama have been phenomenal.  My daughter has learned to sight sing and now knows solfege.  She's improved so much!)  The high school also has some really awesome vocational programs that my younger daughter may take advantage of.  I haven't been super impressed with the middle school, and the academics aren't on QUITE as high a level as I'd hoped at the high school, but it's definitely "good enough."  Socially, my daughter is SO much happier than even at private school.  

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I know it was a tough decision for you,  but I’m glad that you won’t feel the need to get a job at the PS! 

What are you doing for yourself next school year?

I am almost certainly going to get a job, FT. Looking at Admin Assistant, Bookkeeping and Legal Secretarial positions. I look on Indeed as a hobby right now. 😄 

• Like 4

Congrats! My 16 yo started at the high school in 10th grade. She is doing great academically but hates the social aspect of it. This semester she's taking half of her classes at the school and half online. For her senior year, she's signed up for dual enrollment.

• Like 1