Menu

Honors/regular chemistry over the summer (CTY?)

I would like to do a regular (ie., not AP) chemistry class with my rising 9th grader this coming summer.  He is extremely interested in chemistry and has done a lot of somewhat free-form study in middle school, but nothing really systematic.  He will likely take AP Chemistry in 10th grade.

Does anyone have any experience with the JHU/CTY self-paced chemistry class?  DS13 has not taken any of the tests that they require for admission but presumably I could set that up (somehow).  Any other suggestions?  I do expect that whatever we do, this class will take a lot of time, since the goal will be to compress a full year into 10 weeks.

Edited by JennyD

If you have seen the CTY sample video/class and like it, you can buy the class directly from Thinkwell.com.  It's a substantial savings.   Alao,  Homeschoolbuyercoop regularly offers TW

at 1/2 price. the last coop sale just ended yesterday.   BTW, the 8th grader just started TW AP Chemistry (no prior chemistry). So far so good. 

ETA: We just started so that he can go at a much slower pace because of the lack of prior chemistry.  This way he will have a couple of months before summer, the summer, 9th grade  school year, and next summer to have it all completed before start of 10th.  This is sort of the system we have followed with much of advanced math. 

Edited by gstharr
  • Like 1