Menu

edX and Coursera question - music related

My daughter is 14 and starting high school (homeschool) next year. She sings and plans to major in voice with a minor in either religion or history. (I realize that this may change, but she's always been a singer and I don't think it's going to change.) 

I hear horror stories from some of the other voice students ahead of her who have been defeated (some to the point of changing their major) by music theory. I've found Music Theory on both edX and Coursera but I'm not sure how to sign up. Do I register under my name or her name? I'm looking for an inexpensive way to introduce this subject to her (other than what is already covered in classes). 

Thank you!

I can share what I did a few years ago with edX.  We were not seeking certificate level or anything like so  I just did the sign up under my email and name at the time due to their ages and stages of learning (and it was new to me at the time).  I used the materials as a resource for building our course so I didn't get too worried about not fully participating in all things and not necessarily doing all of it.    With coursera, they've changed just enough from when we used it, I'm not sure my experience is the way things work now. back then, we could still "audit" a class and have access to most of it. I'm not sure it still works like that with them b/c I haven't done a course there in about 5  years. Oldest used it under her name and email as grade 12.

hope you get some more recent experiences but wanted to bump your post for you.

• Like 1