Menu

What's similar to Saxon 2 and 3?

mathmarm

What is out there for the next level up with a similar format?

We did Saxon 2 and 3 from just the teachers manual and we love it!

I loved how in-depth Saxon, especially 3, gets. Even though the day to day work was gentle. The book guides the child not just through arithmetic, but teaches: making and reading graphs, measurement, integers, exponents, square roots, fractions, simplifying expressions, functions, graphing on a coordinate plane, etc by the end of it.

The daily meeting was a huge hit with our kids. Saxon is so well put together and we want to stick with that format for as long as it works.
We could (and were doing) something similar before we got the Saxon TM, but having the lesson plan as a road map allowed so much flexibility in the day to day if I wanted it, and it provided a solid lesson if I didn't want or just wasn't up to it.

Saxon 2 and 3 became a big part of our math-program, and I'd hate to have to go without it, or something like it, for the rest of our lives. I know that we can just continue to conduct our daily math in the same format (and we plan to, regardless) but I would love it if there was something ready-made we could just buy so that I don't have to come up with a lesson each time.

I am also a HUGE fan of Saxon in the early grades.  I'm in the boat that my 2nd grader is slightly ahead with math concepts, but will not be able to handle writing out everything in 54 next year in 3rd grade.  Some options I"m considering:

1.  Writing in the 5/4 book (I did this with other kids, it's still cheap enough it won't matter IMO)

2.  Saxon Intermediate 4 Adaptations workbook ($37.15) or written practice workbook ($12) 

3.  Change to MM or MiF for 3rd grade

Edited by BusyMom5

On 3/26/2019 at 10:45 AM, Slache said:

Why not Saxon 5/4?

Most families who love Saxon also love Christian Light Education. Similar content but in small workbooks.

The format and the content of Math 54 doesn't follow Math 3 as well as I'd like. I'd rather not use religious materials, but how Christian is Christian Light Education? I will have to study the TOC to understand what the lesson content for the 2nd-4th grade books is, because I'm hoping to find something that is already laid out but picks up with the topics from the last 1/2 of Saxon 3: Integers, Exponents, Coordinate plane, 2-step word problems, simplifying expressions, etc.

We love the flexibility in the format of Math 3, which Math 54 doesn't seem to have.

The Math Meeting/Lesson/Class Practice in sessions is easy enough to replicate using anything, but I love how thoughtfully it builds up the pre-requisite skills for a task that's coming up--I can do similar on my own, but I would love something that laid it out for me and continued that same playful, interactive, rigorous method that is the heart of (Early) Saxon Math.

Saxon is the perfect spine for the sort of rigorous early math education that I want to give my kids and has got to be one of the best programs I've ever seen for this grade range.  But the lack of continuation is a problem for us. I love how gently comprehensive it is in the day-to-day and how rock solid it is in the long run.

8 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

I am also a HUGE fan of Saxon in the early grades.  I'm in the boat that my 2nd grader is slightly ahead with math concepts, but will not be able to handle writing out everything in 54 next year in 3rd grade.  Some options I"m considering:

1.  Writing in the 5/4 book (I did this with other kids, it's still cheap enough it won't matter IMO)

2.  Saxon Intermediate 4 Adaptations workbook ($37.15) or written practice workbook ($12) 

3.  Change to MM or MiF for 3rd grade

Oh no! It seems that there is no easy continuation from here. I have heard that Saxon is one of the Classic Homeschooling Mainstays, but it does seem that there is a GAP between Saxon 3 and Saxon 54. (and Math 54 starts relatively low compared to the end of Math 3).

We might just have to go back to Mommy Math for a year or 2?