Menu

Math Help...PLEASE....PreCalculus online option

My son is very good at math, doesn't like the idea of having to sit for 3 hrs. a week listening to lectures but would like one class to go over assignments possibly one day a week.  He took Algebra II this year with Foersters using Math without borders (we have done Derek Owens all prior to this but thought we'd try this since it was cheaper this year) he has done really well we are now on chapter 10 but that begins full on trig and I didn't realize and he is having some difficulty and I can't help him!  Evidently Veritas Press uses the same book for PreCalculus and trig begins on chapter 9.  😛  So he is beginning the PreCal and evidently needs some assistance.  So we were looking for a good math program that offers once a week meeting that is a well rounded program.  He is not planning on going into stem even though he is good at math not an interest for him.  He is planning on taking Statistics his senior year so we plan on doing that at the college.  Another thing we have to consider is it being approved of NCAA since he is hoping to play sports in college.....So any ideas for this math would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

Well this is a long-shot for you.  DD took Pre-Calculus from TTU K12 (formerly TTUISD)  but their courses are Asynchronous so it is up to the student to do their Time Management and their Scheduling.

I am not sure whether that course is NCAA approved.  I know their Core Courses are NCAA approved, but you would need to verify with them that the Pre Calculus course is NCAA approved.

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/k12/

Good luck with whatever you go with!

17 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

For what you are considering, I'd look for a once-per-week tutor.

Mr. D might be another option - self-paced? I think you can go to help sessions??

Or back to Derek Owens.

Do you know if Mr. D uses a textbook? I'm looking for a similar set-up for 2 students who strongly prefer using a real, actual, textbook. 

This may not be what you want, but I would take a look at Khan Academy.  It has gone through some major improvements sometime in the last few years and is a great resource and it is free.  My dd used DO for calculus, but was not completely solid with it and went through the Khan AB Calc materials and got everything nailed down that she had been having trouble with very quickly.  She covered the BC materials with Khan in a very efficient way that has allowed her plenty of time to prep for the AP exam.  I’ve also used Khan with my ds for areas he was struggling in. I think it’s pretty good for a complete program but also great if you just want to target areas of difficulty.

54 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

Do you know if Mr. D uses a textbook? I'm looking for a similar set-up for 2 students who strongly prefer using a real, actual, textbook. 

I don't know. I think it is all online. Hopefully one of the families that use Mr D will chime in on this. (The OP didn't specify that they needed a book. I believe Derek Owens' PreCalc is different than most of his courses because it actually uses a textbook. So, DO might be a good PreCalc option for your set up.)

1 hour ago, SebastianCat said:

Mr. D. Math has once a week online classes and has recently been NCAA approved.   I think it may be a good fit for what you're looking for.

Yeah, I didn't see that!  I hate that he doesn't use a textbook though and wasn't sure if that would be a problem (for NCAA).  I think it would be a good fit if it was thorough enough.  My oldest child took DO but my middle one seems to think he might need a little help and that way once a week he could ask questions if he had any.

Edited by Homeschoolmom3

Any experience with Liberty Tutorials ?  They only meet twice a week for one hour each meeting which is doable.  It's the 3 hrs. that is a killer!  Not sure about NCAA requirements. 

Or HSLDA?  I know they are NCAA accredited and the times are doable.  Just wondering on the rigor...I want it to be rigorous enough and that he will be prepared for Statistics in college the next year with checking all of our boxes.  😛

Thanks everyone for the responses!

On 3/25/2019 at 5:23 PM, Homeschoolmom3 said:

Yeah, I didn't see that!  I hate that he doesn't use a textbook though and wasn't sure if that would be a problem (for NCAA).  I think it would be a good fit if it was thorough enough.  My oldest child took DO but my middle one seems to think he might need a little help and that way once a week he could ask questions if he had any.

In addition to weekly online class meetings, Mr. D. has help sessions available twice a week with a live teacher.   Students log in online, then chat (verbally) about the course/section/topic for which they need help, and the teacher walks them through it, showing them on the screen, then letting the student work through the problem on their own.   There are also pre-recorded videos  for each section.