Menu

AP Chem *after* Regular Chem?

I am looking at an AP Chem class, but it suggests taking a regular chemistry class first?  Is this standard?

When I was in high school the AP classes took the place of the regular courses and were just "harder".  Is this no longer the case?  If students are taking regular chemistry and then AP chemistry, how the heck are you fitting this all in???

If you are doubling up, are you doing this for all AP classes?  Just the STEM ones?

Help!

Mine did regular chemistry in 8th and regular physics in 9th.  He then did AP chem in 11th and AP Physics in 12th.  But he was pretty far ahead in math which made the chemistry in 8th doable.

I think to do the AP STEM classes, your child either has to already be ahead in some areas, to get two rounds of each in or they have to be a strong student who can pull a heavy load with lots of study time.  

I don't think there is a lot of average students taking AP STEM classes without prior exposure.

• Like 1

This is what Mr. Moskaluk, who teaches AP Chem at PAHS, says about his class.

“”Note: The first-year chemistry requirement can be waived for students who have exceptionally strong math skills and the ability to apply math to solve complex problems”

Otherwise, he wants them to have had algebra II and a year of high school chemistry.  

I think you have to know your student.  Some will do fine without a lower level, but many probably need it.

• Like 1

Let me add... really wants to DO AP Chem 😉  Kids can do something, but if they don't have motivation to do it -- even if they have the math skills they will flounder.

We went straight to AP Chem (kids were in precalc at the time).  But, oldest was unmotivated, and PonyGirl became overwhelmed (mostly because of perfectionist issues).  They did okay, but not nearly as well as they could have done with a year of chem (and the motivational piece).  We did an honors Physics course (no lab) prior to AP Physics C (just a summer intensive), and DD has done so much better in AP Physics C (she took AP Bio last year -- which also gave her a lot of confidence in the AP science).

Thanks for all the replies. I had no idea that AP science classes worked this way (since they didn’t back in the dark ages of my own schooling).  I would have thought that Chem, followed by Chem AP was a sort of “double dipping” for credits. 

11 hours ago, Mom0012 said:

This is what Mr. Moskaluk, who teaches AP Chem at PAHS, says about his class.

“”Note: The first-year chemistry requirement can be waived for students who have exceptionally strong math skills and the ability to apply math to solve complex problems”

Otherwise, he wants them to have had algebra II and a year of high school chemistry.  

I think you have to know your student.  Some will do fine without a lower level, but many probably need it.

I read that too. I think Lukeion/Barrs have broken my understanding of rigor.  He’s strong in math, but “exceptionally” I don’t know. 

I think we’ll go a different direction. 

1 hour ago, Caraway said:

Thanks for all the replies. I had no idea that AP science classes worked this way (since they didn’t back in the dark ages of my own schooling).  I would have thought that Chem, followed by Chem AP was a sort of “double dipping” for credits. 

I don’t know, thirtyish years ago, at my school one year of the honors chemistry was the prerequisite for AP chem. So to me it isn’t new. If I were to have my student take AP Chem without that additional year, I would at least have them do some reading the summer before. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Penelope said:

I don’t know, thirtyish years ago, at my school one year of the honors chemistry was the prerequisite for AP chem. So to me it isn’t new. If I were to have my student take AP Chem without that additional year, I would at least have them do some reading the summer before. 

This.  Is this a course your son is motivated to take?  Spectrum Chemistry can be done in a few months if you double up on the reading and make time for the labs.  If it’s an area of interest for your son, it might not be a big deal to do.  My dd did it a couple of summers ago.