Menu

What's with the ads?

Sign in to follow this  
fourisenough

CLRC Great Books: 2 or 3 credits?

I have a quick question for the CLRC Great Books parents on this board. I am wondering whether you are planning to assign 2 credits (English and History) or 3 (Literature, History, Composition/Rhetoric) to this class? This isn’t a question about how to transcript integrated great books classes generally, but specifically the GB classes taught by Mrs. Turscak via CLRC. 

I’m on the fence. Mrs. T argues it could justifiably earn 3 credits, but I definitely want to avoid looking like I’m padding the transcript. It is a lot of work and it is high-level work, but for some reason I’m uncharacteristically indecisive on this point. Counting hours doesn’t really work IMHO because people read/write at such different speeds. Curious to hear how others are handling this.

• Like 1

My dd is taking that class for one semester this year and I think I’m going to give her one credit for English Composition and then give her half of a Greek History credit.  So, basically, 1.5 credits for one semester of work.  I’m going to clear that with Sue Ellen to see if she thinks it’s valid to give a full English credit, but honestly, my dd is doing far more writing during this semester than she’s done in any other class other than AP Lang and she’s done 4 years of other (not CLRC) GB-type classes prior to this.

I agree with you that you simply can’t base it on time spent.  My dd has been in a number of classes that have been a normal load or light for her where I’ve heard people complain about the many, many hours it was taking their children.  When my dd took AP Lang, she was on the young side and it took her forever to get the assignments done.  In the end, everyone gets the same credit for the class, no matter how long it takes.  The material in the CLRC GB class is at a level that I think the additional credit is fair.

ETA:  I think if I was going to give 3 credits, I would just call the third one “Rhetoric”.  

Edited by Mom0012
  • Like 1

I’ve used it for two and even that because I need the history credit (I double on English/ lit elsewhere). I will continue to do that. 

I think you’d  be justified in doing what you want and it would not be padding. The reading load for this class is like nothing I’ve seen. 

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1