Menu

Cookbook for non-dairy baking?

Chris in VA

Maybe just an older cookbook would have options for using Crisco rather than butter. The 1980s Joy of Cooking, say.

Replacing butter with Crisco retains the texture. Replacing it with oil doesn't, usually.

I'd hate to use Crisco, usually, because I don't think it's as healthy, but if I couldn't have butter and was making a cake, I'd do it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, elroisees said:

Maybe just an older cookbook would have options for using Crisco rather than butter. The 1980s Joy of Cooking, say.

Replacing butter with Crisco retains the texture. Replacing it with oil doesn't, usually.

I'd hate to use Crisco, usually, because I don't think it's as healthy, but if I couldn't have butter and was making a cake, I'd do it.

That's a good point, and kinda what she does already in making pie crust (butter-flavored Crisco). 

I was just hoping to offer some recipes where the idea isn't replacement, exactly, but a new way of making things (or, making new things). We have mostly stopped using vegan replacements  and instead are making recipes that are vegan to start with--for example, we don't use vegan cheese, but do recipes without cheese, if that makes sense. But I'm sure vegan cookbooks will be replacement-oriented, for the most part. Sigh. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

That's a good point, and kinda what she does already in making pie crust (butter-flavored Crisco). 

I was just hoping to offer some recipes where the idea isn't replacement, exactly, but a new way of making things (or, making new things). We have mostly stopped using vegan replacements  and instead are making recipes that are vegan to start with--for example, we don't use vegan cheese, but do recipes without cheese, if that makes sense. But I'm sure vegan cookbooks will be replacement-oriented, for the most part. Sigh. 

I hear ya.  I'm not vegan but have an abhorrence of franken-foods.  If I make something I want to know that the ingredients are good and not some lab-made replacement.

Have you thought about looking at desserts from cultures that don't rely on dairy?  I assume he's already familiar with things like angel food cake and pavlova, but he can expand to regions of China, Africa, islands, or native American tribes.  A lot of times the butter now used was traditionally rendered fat.

• Like 1

We have been dairy and egg free for 17 years, and I am wondering why she doesn't just use soy milk and Earth Balance margarine in her baking.  Earth Balance isn't a franken-food.  It's a great butter substitute and works fantastically well.  If she wants no eggs, too, well, then I recommend Bakin' without Eggs by Rosemarie Emro.  Their No-Cow Brownies are delightful.  You do have to be able to buy semi-sweet chocolate chips that don't have butter in them, but they exist.  I currently buy HEB Organics brand, but there are other brands.

https://www.amazon.com/Bakin-Without-Eggs-Delicious-Food-Allergic/dp/0312206356

• Like 2

1 hour ago, perkybunch said:

We have been dairy and egg free for 17 years, and I am wondering why she doesn't just use soy milk and Earth Balance margarine in her baking.  Earth Balance isn't a franken-food.  It's a great butter substitute and works fantastically well.  If she wants no eggs, too, well, then I recommend Bakin' without Eggs by Rosemarie Emro.  Their No-Cow Brownies are delightful.  You do have to be able to buy semi-sweet chocolate chips that don't have butter in them, but they exist.  I currently buy HEB Organics brand, but there are other brands.

https://www.amazon.com/Bakin-Without-Eggs-Delicious-Food-Allergic/dp/0312206356

She does--mostly almond or coconut milk, actually, because we have breast cancer in our backrounds. We LOVE Earth Balance--wish they had it here in Jerusalem! 

I was just wanting a book she could use that she didn't have to adapt. 

7 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

There are loads of good recipes online, but don't search for "vegan", search for "whole food plant based". That way, you'll get recipes that don't call for replacement products, but use whole foods instead.

• Like 1

Did you go to the Natural Foods stores behind Machane Yehuda shuk to find alternatives?  Most bakeries in Jewish Jerusalem don't use dairy as then we can't eat meat products. I won't say they are healthy but non-dairy they are.  I don't remember seeing Earth Balance while there but I can guarantee you that there will be some option that will fit the bill.  There is a nice natural food store in Rechavia off of HaPalmach St.  I know there are others but don't know the addresses.

38 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Did you go to the Natural Foods stores behind Machane Yehuda shuk to find alternatives?  Most bakeries in Jewish Jerusalem don't use dairy as then we can't eat meat products. I won't say they are healthy but non-dairy they are.  I don't remember seeing Earth Balance while there but I can guarantee you that there will be some option that will fit the bill.  There is a nice natural food store in Rechavia off of HaPalmach St.  I know there are others but don't know the addresses.

Oh that's so sweet! Thx for the recommendations. I can have dairy without a problem (well, in baking, anyway). Dd is in the States in college, so this is for her, for her birthday. 

9 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

FTR, I have never used butter to make a pie crust. o_0

Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, Vegan Pie in the Sky, and Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero are all really good with fairly straightforward ingredients. The Joy of Vegan Baking by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau is also a really good book that recipes for a wide variety of baked goods and desserts. If I was going to get just one it would be The Joy of Vegan Baking because all the recipes I've made from it have been good and it covers so many bases.