Menu

Buying a new bed

Night Elf

I have a pillow top mattress. We have turned it 180 degrees maybe twice a year. We've had it a long time and there are craters in the bed. It's definitely time for a new one.

1. Should we go for another pillow top? Is there a reason we should or shouldn't?

2. Can we buy a mattress only and just use our current box springs or should we buy a new box springs with a new mattress?

3. Any bed recommendations? We aren't interested in a memory foam bed. We just want a traditional bed. We don't even know if we want firm or soft. We don't even know if they sell them like that anymore.

You might be surprised at how deep the good newer mattresses are.  We had to get a Bucky Board instead of a box spring for our new mattress to be low enough for me to get onto it without jumping up a little.  The old ‘standard’ mattress depth is now only used on low end mattresses.

How we picked out our last mattresses is that we called up a place we had been to on vacation, at which we really liked the mattresses, and figured out how to get those same mattresses for ourselves.  This worked out great as we had already tried them out for a week.  Time  will tell how well they last, but we are inclined to think that hotel mattresses would last a long time.  Hope we are right about that, because we sure love ours.

We went to a mattress store and tested them out. Luckily both dh and I have the same preference--firm.  I think we're in the minority because the mattress guy kept saying "Are you sure?". That was a couple years ago and it has been great. It was made somewhat locally but I don't remember the brand.

• Like 1

Many options. In February of 2017, we got a Saatva mattress - firm. They have 3 or more options. We used our box spring with no issues. Upon delivery of the new mattress, Saatva takes your old one for a small fee.  I am fairly happy with it. 

Following, still on the bed search myself!  DH just went skiing for the weekend and returned home to say the murphy bed he slept on was more comfortable than our bed. 😕  Our pillowtop mattress is about 3-4 years old and has craters.  I don't think I'd want pillowtop again, but what else is there even?  Seems like they all have it.