Menu

Zone 5 gardeners, two questions for you?

madteaparty

I’m a very chaotic, throw it down and see what emerges sort of gardener. Anyway, when do you think I can safely plant the body bag roses that I just went nuts on at Aldi’s? I have them currently in a colder room (not outside but not heated).

and bulbs that I forgot to plant last fall, can I put them down now? I wouldn’t care about the loss but I’m recruiting two little girls to help me and for their sake I hope sth emerges.

we are planting zucchini seeds inside too as insurance lol 

Edited by madteaparty

Well we are zone 5, and our ground is still frozen solid. Planting out is Memorial Day, often later for seeds assuming germination is the goal. 

We are on the coast; it truly doesn't warm up here enough for planting until at least then. I have had the most success with tomatoes if I set them out after July 4 (I keep the plants in our greenhouse/shed until then). 

I'm zone 5. 

So, as far as the bulbs, where have they been stored?  If they have been cold, you might get away with planting them out.  If not, they are less likely to grow.  If you are going to try now might be best.  If they don't grow though you may find they just rot.

As far as the roses, I think I would wait a bit.  Usually you want to do it right after your last frost date.  Here that is about June 1st but it varies a lot even within a zone.

I am in zone 5a, and the ground has been thawed out in my yard for at least two weeks. I was shipped bare root roses (arrived Friday afternoon) and they are now in the ground. 

I have planted bare root roses and shrubs from now until Mid April without any trouble. 

Potted roses (with leaves and blooms) have to wait until the end of May. 

You just have to watch the weather and cover if necessary.