Menu

New pet: longhair cat

Acorn

Yesterday we adopted a long hair young cat (8 months?). She had only been at the shelter for two days and they had no intake information other than she had recently been spayed. 

If anyone else has experience with long hair cats, I’m looking for advice on type of brush or comb and what litter to use? She has really long tufts of fur between her toes. 

I’d love to share a picture but she’s not ready yet. She did just come out from under dresser when I brought in a plate of food, so I think we are doing great for first 24 hours.

• Like 2

Congrats on your new kitty!

Our longhaired cat just passed away a couple months ago at the age of 18. This is the brush we used on him:

https://www.chewy.com/furminator-long-hair-deshedding-edge/dp/176394

However, he was not crazy about getting brushed and his fur would get clumpy, so our vet would give him a haircut every six months or so. (Funnily enough, our shorthaired cats all love to get brushed, even though they don't need it...go figure!)

For litter, we just use regular Tidy Cats clay litter.

• Like 2

I can't help you with a brush type, but regular cat litter seems to work fine for our long haired cat. Just don't use anything light-weight, as that sticks to everything. 

I've also noticed that our kitty has less foot hair, and just thinner hair in general now that's she's inside all the time. Yours might lose those little tufts once she gets acclimated. 

Congrats on your new friend! 

• Like 1