Menu

Using android apps on Kindle Fire?

We have several kindle fires that we've installed google playstore on using the instructions here: https://www.saintlad.com/install-google-play-store-on-kindle-fire/ They work well for us. It's not perfect - sometimes you have to manually start updates, for example, and there have been a couple of apps that wouldn't work right. But overall, especially considering the price differences between the kindles and other android tablets, we've been very happy.

• Like 1

I've done this to multiple Kindle Fires.  They are what I use for my classes since they are so much cheaper than other tablets, since I use them with young kids who could break them easily.  We initially found we could do this looking for a way to load Pokemon Go for the kids so I always use these directions:  https://pokemongokindlefire.com/

I've very rarely found an app that I can't download at all, but I haven't had any problem with any of the apps I've downloaded.  I have my local library app, the Nook app, Pokemon Go, various other games, Sphero robots, Great Courses Plus, a green screen app, Scratch Jr. and a few other things on mine.  All are the cheap 7 inch ones that go on sale at Christmas for $35.  My kids have the more expensive 8" kids version ones and they have loaded all kinds of drawing apps.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info.  One more question.  Do you notice a big difference in screen quality in the Kindle compared to your phone?     My eyesight isn't that great so I'm wondering if I should save up for a tablet with higher resolution and dpi. I would love the higher screen resolution found in the ipad mini but want to pay a Kindle price. lol

I haven't noticed a big difference.  I have a Galaxy S7 (or 8?) and I find the Kindle slightly easier to read things on, I assume because of the bigger screen.  I read books on both and both are fine.  I do wear reading glasses.

I read on the kindle without any trouble, except when i fall asleep and drop it into my nose, but that isn't a problem unique to kindle I suppose. The text size can easily be adjusted, so if I don't have reading glasses i can bump it up a bit no problem.